Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Manta Lab Exclusive No. 27) [Hong Kong]

tommyh84

Not Mine
Premium Supporter
Apr 28, 2011
Release date: July 10, 2020
Purchase links: One Click - Double Lenti - Single Lenti - Full Slip (Pre-order on May 29 at 8 PM, Hong Kong time UTC +8) - Check your local timings HERE
Price: $149.97 (One Click) - $45.99 (Individual Editions)
Group buy: hosted by Aniv One Click - Double Lenti - Single Lenti - Full Slip
Note: WEA, Exclusive Steelcase designed by Manta Lab features "Full Glossy" Finish and "Debossed Title".

Box (400 Units, Numbered 1-40): Front Cover Designed by "Tony Stella" at www.tony-stella.com. Spot Matte, Spot Glossy, Embossing, Scratch Resistance Coating
Full Slip (900 Units, Numbered 1-900): Spot Glossy, Spot Matte, Embossing, Scratch Resistance Coating
Lenticular Full Slip (800 Units, Numbered 1-800): 3D Lenticular, Spot Glossy, Spot Matte, Embossing
Double Lenticular Full Slip (900 Units, Numbered 1-900): 3D Lenticular x 2, Spot Glossy, Spot Matte, Embossing
Premiums: Booklet, Postcards, Character Cards, Envelope, Exclusive Numbering Sticker, Exclusive Release Front Sticker, Exclusive Release Lenticular Sticker, Chinese O-Ring Cover.

OUTH_overall_OC_5000x.pngOUTH_overall_DLS_5000x.pngOUTH_Overall_LS_5000x.pngOUTH_Overall_FS_5000x.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooo that’s lovely
Sign me up.

Simple enough but also, busy enough...perfect balance IMO
Thanks man! Glad someone likes it, even if I don't lol.

Looks okay. Not sure if I’d prefer somthing like this or the illustrated art on steel. Then again that art would also look good on a full slip like their IB full slip
That's the art I wanted to use, but none of the other posters go with it. I agree though... it'd look great on a slip!

Reactions: Flloydo

That's the art I wanted to use, but none of the other posters go with it. I agree though... it'd look great on a slip!
I always seem to go against the grain artwork wise. Lol

Usually I find yours too busy for my own taste. Always lovely but my preference is more minimal where possible.
I can always appreciate the mock up efforts so please keep em coming :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Decided to start sharing some unfinished/rejected steelbook concepts I've done over the years, since someone might like them I guess.

This (with embossed title and characters) being the most recent one...

View attachment 448107

Tarantino is my all-time favourite director, so I always feel like I want to do his films justice by only making concepts that I'm 100% happy with. Obviously it doesn't help when the majority of official poster art sucks though, which is the case here unfortunately, and mainly why I consider this one a "reject".

I'm sure Manta will have a lot more imagery at hand and will therefore be able to come up with something a hundred times better! :notworthy:

Obviously that looks very nice, I assume you've done some photoshopping to take the characters out of their actual posters and blend them into one wraparound image as I dont recall seeing those images in that configuration before?

If that design were to see the light of day personally I'd prefer to just have the title embossed rather than the characters as well but that's just my preference :)

Decided to start sharing some unfinished/rejected steelbook concepts I've done over the years, since someone might like them I guess.

This (with embossed title and characters) being the most recent one...

View attachment 448107

Tarantino is my all-time favourite director, so I always feel like I want to do his films justice by only making concepts that I'm 100% happy with. Obviously it doesn't help when the majority of official poster art sucks though, which is the case here unfortunately, and mainly why I consider this one a "reject".

I'm sure Manta will have a lot more imagery at hand and will therefore be able to come up with something a hundred times better! :notworthy:

Very clever, like it. I like the title and background best. Also one of my favourite directors. I think the issue with this film is the amount of major strong points. i think Cliff and Rick's relationship is the key driver, so this fits really well, but not sure Cliff looks as laid back and cool as he is in the film, looks a bit photoshopped. Maybe him on the roof, or with Bruce Lee. Sharon is lovely to have on it. I'd also like it to say "Your Rick *uckin Dalton, and don't you forget it" on the back with Cliff talking out the car window. :) :smuggrin:

Yeah the more I look at your mock up I prefer it how you’ve done it as the steel art.
Give me that, and then the illustrated art on a full slip please manta

I always seem to go against the grain artwork wise. Lol

Usually I find yours too busy for my own taste. Always lovely but my preference is more minimal where possible.
I can always appreciate the mock up efforts so please keep em coming :)
Thanks! I appreciate your honesty. Obviously you can't please everyone since we all have different taste, especially when it comes to steels lol.

I'm actually a big fan of simplicity as well, but I get the impression not many folks are into that unfortunately, so I tend to try and make what I feel the majority might like.

Obviously that looks very nice, I assume you've done some photoshopping to take the characters out of their actual posters and blend them into one wraparound image as I dont recall seeing those images in that configuration before?

If that design were to see the light of day personally I'd prefer to just have the title embossed rather than the characters as well but that's just my preference :)
Cheers! And yeah, all of my concepts are made in Photoshop lol. But I get what you mean... the background, characters, car, title are all separate layers. Wish I could do all my concepts like that to be honest, but it's not very often I have access to the PSD's (a file that has all the different layers of a poster).

Haha yeah, I do tend to go a bit OTT with the 'bossing nowadays. I just find it a bit of fun and it's not something I see other steel concept artists doing, so I like to be different. :p

Very clever, like it. I like the title and background best. Also one of my favourite directors. I think the issue with this film is the amount of major strong points. i think Cliff and Rick's relationship is the key driver, so this fits really well, but not sure Cliff looks as laid back and cool as he is in the film, looks a bit photoshopped. Maybe him on the roof, or with Bruce Lee. Sharon is lovely to have on it. I'd also like it to say "Your Rick *uckin Dalton, and don't you forget it" on the back with Cliff talking out the car window. :) :smuggrin:
Thanks! I'm yet to actually see the film myself, so can't really include any character/plot details in there. And as always, there's a very limited amount of imagery available to nobodies like myself, so I have to work with whatever I can find. Like I said previously though... Manta will hopefully have a lot more to work with, so will most likely deliver something more like you described. ;)

Reactions: jasong
Thanks! I appreciate your honesty. Obviously you can't please everyone since we all have different taste, especially when it comes to steels lol.

I'm actually a big fan of simplicity as well, but I get the impression not many folks are into that unfortunately, so I tend to try and make what I feel the majority might like.

Cheers! And yeah, all of my concepts are made in Photoshop lol. But I get what you mean... the background, characters, car, title are all separate layers. Wish I could do all my concepts like that to be honest, but it's not very often I have access to the PSD's (a file that has all the different layers of a poster).

Haha yeah, I do tend to go a bit OTT with the 'bossing nowadays. I just find it a bit of fun and it's not something I see other steel concept artists doing, so I like to be different. :p

Thanks! I'm yet to actually see the film myself, so can't really include any character/plot details in there. And as always, there's a very limited amount of imagery available to nobodies like myself, so I have to work with whatever I can find. Like I said previously though... Manta will hopefully have a lot more to work with, so will most likely deliver something more like you described. ;)

Looking forward to the Manta details. Nobodies! I am amazed you are helping produce some of these. Aren't you the fella responsible for the FAC The Wolf (Unobtainium) design! . :) :thumbs:

PS. Love the film.

Looking forward to the Manta details. Nobodies! I am amazed you are helping produce some of these. Aren't you the fella responsible for the FAC The Wolf (Unobtainium) design! . :) :thumbs:

PS. Love the film.
Ditto! :D

Haha I am... although that happened by accident. Not that I'm complaining, of course. :)

Reactions: jasong
Definitely wonder what that means for this Manta Lab release.

Thankfully Manta Lab is based in Hong Kong where Once Upon a Time in Hollywood got a release date back in late July. Also worth noting apparently quite a few Chinese are going to Honkers so they can watch Joker as there’s no chance that will get released for the Chinese market.

Reactions: Noodles and milky
Thankfully Manta Lab is based in Hong Kong where Once Upon a Time in Hollywood got a release date back in late July. Also worth noting apparently quite a few Chinese are going to Honkers where they can watch Joker as there’s no chance that will get released for the Chinese market.
That’s good to know.

Reactions: willbar84
1. No releases for 2 months.
This year has been a quite hectic one for me and our market due to two main reasons. One of our major partners has exited the business and the projects we wanted to work on have been all delayed because of this. We expect to see the restoration in balance by the end of the year and hope that we can continue working on the best release for our customers. Our second reasons is because of the merger between Fox and Disney. Due to the merger, we have lost the access to the Fox's products and until we get a green light from company, we won't be able to handle any of the Fox products.

2. What's in the oven?
At the moment, we are baking below releases for the end of this year and early next year.
1. Us
2. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
3. Ad Astra
4. Joker
5. Scarface
Above list is a somewhat confirmed list of releases we aim to start pre-ordering from November to early next year.

3. 4th Anniversary
I can't believe that we are approaching our 4th anniversary with this company. Last year's anniversary wasn't really well prepared and we've moved the sales to February where things are quieter for us but this year we plan to bring our Anniversary promotions and sales in December. We are cooking some interesting and beneficial promotions for our customers so please give us little more time to announce the event.

4. How are things in the company?
As I've said previously, I've been getting a lot of emails from our customers whether if we were out of business only after 2 months of no release from us. I thought everyone was OK with some break with collecting for 2 months but this really enlightens me to work faster and release more products in the future
1f642.png

:). Everyone in the company is doing OK as always and despite the difficulties internally and externally with the country and the company, we are holding our grounds and working our best to produce what our customer want with our products. Thank you very much for all the interest and emails. They really gave me a reason to post some update to remind our customers that we are still around!

5. Future releases other than what's mentioned in 2.
For 2020, we don't know how things will change with the studios but I expect things to be quite similar as 2018 or 2019. We will probably have between 7-8 releases and we will continue our DC lines and movies that we loved from the past and current. We've been not really posting much updates other than product infos because things have been quite slow around here with the approval and designing but we will try our best to speed up things for you guys.
Thank you very much for all the interest and our support line is always open for you guys, just drop an email anytime if you have questions or just simply say hi, there should be someone to reply back to you every time.
I will post more updates with Us and 4th Anniversary sale soon and thanks again for your support.

Best regards,
John

i cant wait to see the art on this, but since US is next i dont t think we will see any art til next year, at least we know is coming soon so we can pass on all the generic ones.

Reactions: Shark