Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
OPERATION FLASHPOINT 2 : DRAGON RISING
Release Date: October 6th, 2009

Official Site : flashpoint2-game.com

Experience the intensity, diversity and claustrophobia of realistic modern warfare from the unique perspective of Infantry Marine, Helicopter Pilot, Special Forces and Tank Commander engaged against the full force of the Chinese military on a scale never previously experienced in video games. Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising takes players into the most realistic war game experience they¿ll have ever encountered. It provides an unparalleled scope of different military disciplines, vehicles and equipment for players to utilize, and simulates an immense conflict between two advanced military forces. The player's journey is tied into a believable and dramatic storyline set in a vast and incredibly detailed environment.

Play as Infantry soldier, tank commander, helicopter pilot and Special Forces, either single player or cooperatively

Players will battle against platoons of enemy forces, in the biggest battles ever seen in a First Person Shooter video game

Unparalleled levels of realism and variety of military forces, equipment, weapons and tactics

Immense play areas giving the player a multitude of tactical decisions on how to best accomplish missions

Delivers realistic injuries and wounds to the characters, vehicles and buildings within the game

SCREENSHOTS
operation-flashpoint-2-dragon-rising--20080716072441279_640w.jpg

operation-flashpoint-2-dragon-rising--20080716072429482_640w.jpg

operation-flashpoint-2-dragon-rising--20080716072435107_640w.jpg

operation-flashpoint-2-dragon-rising--20080716072425498_640w.jpg

operation-flashpoint-2-20070822010453905_640w.jpg

operation-flashpoint-2-dragon-rising--20090220105505785_640w.jpg

operation-flashpoint-2-dragon-rising--20090220015838270_640w.jpg

operation-flashpoint-2-dragon-rising--20080821033729232_640w.jpg

operation-flashpoint-2-dragon-rising--20080821033734185_640w.jpg

operation-flashpoint-2-20070419021245240_640w.jpg

Operation Flashpoint 2 gives players the freedom to handle military crisis situations on their initiative. Unscripted missions task players with real objectives, such as laying down covering fire, covering a friendly unit’s retreat or conducting short-range recon patrol. Armed with cutting edge military hardware, players will need to balance brute force with intelligent use of tactics. Once players have completed the campaign, a Mission Editor enables gamers to create their own single player and multiplayer missions.

Players command and control a wide variety of multi-component, multi-weapon vehicles, including tanks, infantry fighting vehicles, APCs, attack and utility helicopters. Fully loaded weapons and individual ammunition types are simulated with detailed ballistic physics, based upon individually-crafted mechanics. The character damage system authentically depicts the terrible wounds and injury from modern weapons to communicate the reality of combat.

Players fight as infantry soldiers in battle, drive tanks in armored assaults, pilot helicopters in air strikes, and infiltrate the enemy in covert special operations utilizing a wide variety of realistic military weapons from knives and rifles to machine guns, grenade launchers and laser designators for air strikes. In whichever role the player chooses, they experience the fierce and brutal reality of warfare and the shock and awe of contemporary firepower unleashed on the arresting scale of modern combat.

Immense play areas of more than 135 square miles give players a multitude of tactical decisions on how to best accomplish missions. Densely packed with environment detail and objects, valleys, mountains, coastlines, towns, villages and industrial complexes all combine to deliver a rich and challenging tactical environment. The world is persistent, so that buildings destroyed in one campaign mission will be destroyed in the next.

Operation Flashpoint 2 models the environment, objects and people in realistic detail, but its visual styling will embrace documentary techniques. The camera work through cut-scenes is heavily influenced by television war reports that are often shot under extreme circumstances delivering a unique look with incorrect exposure, severe camera shake and loss of focus.

THIS VIDEO YOU HAVE TO SEE!!! CLICK HERE !!!!!

Tank Fire Vid HERE!

Ego Tech Vid HERE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Operation Flashpoint 2 Preview

The original Operation Flashpoint on PC, released in 2001 was a hardcore smash-hit. A war game so accurate that it was developed into a virtual simulator for the military.

Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising offers alot more than the first game. It's still just as ambitious, detailed and tactically demanding as the PC Game, but it will be more accessible to console gamers.

The game itself is tough, with one hit kills coming often. The game's story spreads across both single player and online modes. The game will put you against the mighty Chinese PLA on the huge island of Skira. The gameplay will simulate the struggle against such a well-armed modern army, with you having access to helicopters (Which is extremely fun) Tanks and armoured transport.

There will be 50 accessible vehicles in the game to get around the island and attack the enemy. Dragon Rising is a huge threat to the Call of Duty series, eventhough it's alot different. While Modern Warfare was a tight run'n'gun FPS wrapped in hi-tech detail, Dragon Rising is immersing itself fully into the world of modern combat.

The graphics will use a new character damage system that will be visable, ensuring you won't want to send your team into combat on a whim. The graphics are so highly detailed because the creator of the game went into combat himself and studied injury wounds. The wound system will simply grab the headlines, but its the subtle details that will earn the fans.

Online options:

* Team Deathmatch

* 4 other game modes not named yet.

PC Version will feature:

* 32 player (16 vs 16)

* 8 player co-op in addition to NPC squad members

* 4 player Campaign + single mission co-op

Next-Generation Consoles will feature:

* 16 player (8 vs 8)

* 4 player co-op in addition

* 4 player Campaign + single mission co-op

A Demo has been confirmed for PlayStation 3 and othe consoles.

Operation_Flashpoint_2.jpg

Hey guys, I stumbled onto the E3 2009 video for Operation Flashpoint.

I signed up as a codemaster member back when I garnered alot of interest for Damnation and in an email they sent me an Op flash site and I noticed one the videos is titled "E3 2009"

I guess with E3 so soon to come they just figured to update the site now.

http://www.codemasters.com/flashpoint/

Codemasters today announced that Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, the tactical shooter that's set to take players as close to war as they'll ever want to get, will be shipping on October 6th in North America and releasing on October 8th through EPAC territories with a October 9th street date in the UK.

A truly explosive 'Armoury' video, available today from www.flashpointgame.com, showcases the devastating effects of the authentic modern weapon systems which gamers can deploy in Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising's uniquely intense battles. In the video, infantry move in formation and engage in lethal fire-fights with weapons rendered with unprecedented accuracy and featuring full firing and reloading animations, including a Javelin anti-tank guided weapon which destroys its target with stunning force.

Vehicles - which can all be commandeered by the player - are also featured including an AAVP7A1 amphibious assault vehicle which suppresses enemy firing positions, the powerful Abrams M1A2 battle tank and the AH1Z Super Cobra attack helicopter. Finally, a JDAM airstrike on a village shows the epic effects of explosions, with volumetric smoke modelling and dirt and debris thrown hundreds of feet into the air.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising will set the new standard for sandbox shooters when it arrives October 6th/8th/9th for the X360, PS3 and the PC.

I knew this game wouldnt come out the same day as BFBC2 but now I heard rumors of BFBC2 coming in 2010 ... I wish all 3 of these games (MW2 Included) would release very far apart so their Online Communities can be strong as well as their sales as I have high hopes and expectations from all 3.

Origianally posted from DK

August 10, 2009 - We recently reviewed ArmA 2 for the PC, Bohemia Interactive's follow-up to its intensely realistic battlefield shooter, Operation Flashpoint, so we were especially curious to see what Codemasters, who know owns the OpFlash license, were planning with the game's official sequel, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.

Codemasters dropped by the IGN office recently to show off a build and leave us with playable versions for both the PC and the Xbox 360. After spending a week playing through the two missions, it's clear that Codemasters has captured what made the first game so appealing in spite of the formidable obstacles that are common to games in this genre.

If you're getting to the party late, Operation Flashpoint is a hardcore military first-person shooter. It's rooted in realism, from the performance of the various vehicles on the battlefield, to the tactical cohesion of your squads, to the completely unforgiving combat model that can end your dreams of glory with a stray shot to the head. Though there are definite mission objectives, this is a largely unscripted game that puts the player down in the middle of a raging battle and leaves them to succeed or fail based on their own choices.

With realistic ballistics and solid tactics, this is a challenging game.

Though the story is entirely fictional, it's based on a plausible scenario that gives a little added gravity to the game. As the energy crisis escalates, oil is discovered on Skira Island off the coast of Japan. The Russians owned the island but in 2011 the Chinese People's Liberation Army moves in and takes control. The player is part of the US force called in to retake the island from the Chinese. Our build shows off a few of the early encounters in the game's eleven-mission story, just as the US forces are trying to neutralize the island's defenses and secure a beachhead.

The first mission, Dragon Rising, puts the player in charge of a small four-man squad tasked with taking out radar installations and SAM sites on the island. Starting on the coast, you'll have to trek up a large hill, evade enemy fire, and take out the enemy's early detection equipment. Once you knock out the first radar and the SAM site, you're free to call in some fleet support to take out an enemy garrison in a small seaside town. Of course, the enemy is dug in pretty hard, so you'll still need to go in and do some cleaning up yourself before reinforcements come in.

You can try to play it in traditional run-and-gun style, but you won't get very far. To survive on this battlefield, you'll have to play it much more like you'd play Brothers in Arms. Here you'll have to fix your enemy with a genuine threat, using suppressive fire to keep his head down while you or other members of the squad move around to assault them from the flank. It's a simple concept but it plays out in a variety of ways. We've had our flanking element come under fire and had to lay low while our suppressing element moved in on a new flank. We've had the enemy decide to move to a new defensive position that covered the positions of our whole squad, forcing us to retreat and make a new approach.

The world is wide open. How you move through it is up to you.

Making these choices is relatively easy thanks to the straightforward command system. It takes a while to get used to the radial menus (accessed by Q on the keyboard or right bumper on the 360 pad) but once you know what you're looking for, it's no big deal to issue move and fire orders, change the rules of engagement, get soldiers into and out of vehicles, and even call up flank orders. The tricky part is that you'll be using your movement controls to navigate the menu, so you'll have a brief second where your completely paralyzed when issuing orders.

It's a bit tough that you can't issue orders for something you can't see (like telling your soldiers to assault a position on the other side of a hill) but if you want that fine control, you can issue wider-ranging orders on the overhead map.

The other controls are pretty standard for a game of this type. You can switch through various pieces of kit -- from medic kits to binoculars to explosives -- change stances, sprint, hold your breath and so on. The game seems to work particularly well with the game pad, but it doesn't seem as if they've had to compromise the controls at all. It just takes a bit of time to figure out where the most useful commands are. Luckily the first level is a bit of a tutorial and it walks you through the basic controls as you move from encounter to encounter.

Players who are still a bit intimidated by the whole idea can play the game in assisted mode, which shows all your objectives as yellow and gray markers in the world. That way, you'll never be at a loss as to where to go or what to do. Additionally, you'll see red blips on your compass that show you the direction of known enemies. You'll also get handy checkpoint saves so you don't have to start all over again if you get killed. If you're playing in hardcore mode, you don't get any of this stuff. Your only clue that enemies are near will be the clods of dirt that are kicked up once they start shooting at you. And your only direction to your objectives will be the map you pull up during the course of the mission. Fortunately, there's a Normal mode in between those two that offers a nice compromise.

It's always good to have a little backup when things get hot.

All that sounds fun enough but what's got us really excited is the opportunity for full four-player cooperative play through the entire campaign. Having the chance to take on the challenge with three other human players is definitely one of the big selling points here, but even if you're not up to the task of taking on the missions themselves, the game will offer a variety of other multiplayer modes. The Xbox 360 version will be limited to eight players, either in two competing squads of four players each, or two squads of four players each playing cooperatively against six AI squads of PLA soldiers. The PC will open things up a bit with the possibility of 32 player battles.

Of course, one of the main criticisms of the original Operation Flashpoint (and Bohemia's own ArmA franchise) is that there's far too much to model and far too many systems interacting with each other for the seams not to show. Trying to build a game that gives players control of everything from knives to helicopters naturally requires some flexibility. The game's artificial intelligence also has to be able to maintain awareness of a rapidly changing battlefield and their various support roles within each squad. The original Operation Flashpoint and the ArmA games have definitely struggled in those areas. While some of those issues are obviously present in the beta version's we've been playing, Codemasters has made the bold claim that "all AI issues will be fixed" before the game is released in October.

Gamers who'd like to try the game out for themselves can either break into our offices or wait until the game launches on October 6. There are currently no plans for a pre-release demo, but the team at Codemasters is planning to release a multiplayer-only demo on October 26.

The command system is flexible and functional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kotaku Preview

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/08/the-first-hour-of-operation-flashpoint-2/

The First Hour Of… Operation Flashpoint 2
By David Wildgoose on August 10, 2009 at 10:00 AM

It’s been eight years since PC gamers waged war in Operation Flashpoint. Now the sequel - in name, if not developer - is coming to console. How’s it shaping up?

A caveat before I begin: I’m playing a preview build here. This build consists of two missions only. There’s no campaign for me to test out, nor any multiplayer. This isn’t the final game; in fact it says “Work In Progress” up in the top right-hand corner while I’m playing. Just in case I forget.

I arrive at Operation Flashpoint never having played the original. However I do enjoy a good shooter, especially a thinking man’s type of shooter, which is what I envisage this to be. I’m playing the Xbox 360 version.

00:00 - I jump into a mission entitled Dragon Rising, described as an “introduction” to the game. Not sure if this is the first mission of the actual game, but it does sound like it acts as a tutorial. My mission objectives are to destroy the early warning radar network in the island’s south and, as a secondary task, destroy the surface-to-air missile emplacement to the north.
00:03 - I take a moment to assess my squad. There’s four of us (the squad select screen shows up to five soliders can be assigned to a specific squad) including a machinegunner, engineer, medic and leader (me). Each solider has a loadout consisting of a primary weapon, a sidearm and two other equipment slots. I can look at these pre-mission, but at least for this mission in this build I can’t change them.
00:05 - We’re dropped in a field dotted with trees and a smattering of waist-high stone walls. In the distance smokes plumes from a burning tank. Looking through 360-degrees it’s clear this is an expansive environment with few obvious barriers to exploration. A waypoint marks my progress to the base of a gently-inclined hill.
00:08 - Upon reaching the waypoint marker, a tutorial pop-up informs me I should order my squad to suppress or flank right. Heeding the advice, I run to a nearby wall and crouch just as the enemy further up the hill opens fire on us. I hold down RB to open up the command menu and fumble around for a few moments trying to find the relevant orders. Bullets are flying past me ears and pinging against the stone in front of me.
00:10 - Still unable to find either the suppress or flank right commands, something explodes and the camera pulls back to show my body lying in the grass. I appear to be dead.

00:14 - Restarting the mission, I try to familiarise myself with the command menu before heading to the waypoint. It’s not entirely intuitive. You hold RB and then use the d-pad to navigate a series of sub-menus, each with four options. I eventually find suppress under the Orders/Fire sub-section and flank right under the Orders/Offense sub-section. Got it.
00:16 - We advance to the waypoint and I get my guys to lay down suppression fire. I’m just about to sneak up the right-hand side under some tree cover when two of my guys go down injured. A tutorial pops up to tell me I can heal them by dressing their wounds. Trouble is I can’t actually see my guys any more. Still crouching, I scramble around the area near the waypoint before finally spotting one of my guys as he stands up to shoot. I’m not sure if he’s one of the injured or not, so I heal him regardless. I spot a second of my squad and try to heal him, but can’t. Guess he’s not injured. Still, for some reason, two of my squad icons are still red. Dunno where the third guy is.
00:20 - I give up and tell my squad to flank right instead, while I cover them from here. I spray the enemy sandbags up the hill while my guys move forward. Soon there’s no return fire, so I cautiously make my way up the hill. Upon reaching the sandbags I can’t find any corpses, but at least no one’s shooting at me.

00:25 - From my position near the top of the hill my compass is showing two clusters of red dots indicating enemy units. The cluster to the southwest lies directly ahead over the hill’s crest and that’s where my next waypoint leads. To the southeast, beyond where the hill sharply drops away, is the other bunch of red dots. I go prone and crawl to the southeast ridge before pulling out my binoculars. While hidden in the long grass I can survey the small village below the ridge, spotting five or so troops milling about. Opting to chicken out that discretion is the better part of valour, I crawl back to the crest of the hill and call my squad to regroup and follow me to the southwest waypoint.
00:29 - I can hear gunfire over the hill. I crouch behind a couple of rocks near the summit and command my squad to lay down suppression while I scope out what lies ahead. Down below, about 100 metres away across an open field is a small base. A half-dozen enemies are bunkered down, returning our fire. To my right the hill appears to abruptly turn into a cliff overlooking the sea. To my left a series of rocks and bushes give way to a few trees, providing a bit of cover even if it does take me closer to the occupied village over the ridge.

00:33 - Still commanding my guys to suppress, I begin to crawl along behind the rocks. With the long grass and other foliage all around me, my visibility is low but I press on and hope I’m heading for the trees. I poke my head out from a shrub for a second, edging just that little bit too far into the open before ducking back. It’s too late though, as the bullets start to rain down on my position. I get hit and notice the damage indicator bottom left shows my head a different colour to the rest of my body. The screen is starting to turn red and my vision fading. I’ve just switched to my first aid dressings when the camera once again pulls right back over my body. I’m dead.
00:38 - Thankfully I can restart from the checkpoint I hit at the top of the hill. This time I notice a camouflaged tent slightly to the west. Next to it I find a weapon cache including - oh the convenience! - a QBZ95, which the bracketed class designation tells me is a marksman rifle. I grab it and crawl to the top of the hill, instructing my squad to flank left through the trees while I snipe from above. They manage to take out a couple of guys near the sandbags and I drop the remainder huddled near a building. All clear, I think.

00:42 - I crouch-run down the slope, instructing my guys to move into positions near the sandbags. I reach the base and find one of the enemy soldiers is only injured, he’s just lying on the ground, writhing there. I switch to my handgun and put him out of his misery. Then I search his corpse and take his ammo. Then I search his friend’s corpse and take his ammo too. Gunfire and the rumble of what I assume to be a plane flying overheard can be heard. I hunt around for more corpses to loot.
00:45 - At this point I’ve actually forgotten what my objective was. I’m still poking around the base when I remember I was meant to destroy the radar. That would explain that waypoint marking an important location just a few feet away underneath the communications tower. Just as I’ve equipped the demolition charges, my commander radios in to tell me I’ve taken too long and they’re aborting their mission. There is no option, sadly, to tell him “I’m right here and I’m about to blow this **** up and, hey, maybe I’d have gotten it done quicker if you’d briefed me better on the controls!”
00:48 - So I have to repeat that section again, choosing to use the same successful tactics. This time, however, I forgo the corpse-looting until I’ve set the demo charges and taken out the radar tower. Unfortunately, despite moving behind some sandbags at what I thought was a safe distance, I still manage to injure myself in the explosion. I staunch the blood loss with my trusty bandages as the commander radios in his next instruction. Apparently I have to call in combat support using my binoculars. Those things have a phone? Awesome!

00:52 - After making cautious progress to the ridge overlooking the village to the southeast, I pull out my binoculars and see those same five or so guys I spotted earlier. Only this time they’re under fire from several friendly squads perched atop the cliff opposite my position. I bring up the combat support menu, my active options currently limited to a howitzer, which I choose to deploy in “scattered” fashion. I watch the shells rain down, throwing huge clouds of dust into the sky. Command tells me I’ve done well.
00:54 - My squad is now redeployed back to near where we started this mission, so I tell my guys to follow me and we jog to the waypoint some 300 metres away. We’re nearly there when command informs me that some light vehicles have been spotted heading our way. We’re to intercept and eliminate them.
00:56 - Moments later I can hear at least two jeeps approaching from the north. I drop prone on the spot and tell my squad to advance to the dilapidated shack up ahead. Now crouching I manage to snipe one of the drivers before the rest of the enemy soldiers scatter. I pick off a second guy crouching behind a wall. My squad reports a third and then a fourth enemy has been eliminated.
00:58 - The compass shows one guy left. Through my rifle’s scope I spot him hiding in the trees on the other side of the road. I hit him but he’s still alive. My squad moves forward across the road and we finish off the injured enemy. As we turn back we spot another couple of red dots on the compass coming from the same direction we’d arrived.
00:59 - I command my troops to take cover by the stone wall on the side of the road while I approach one of the abandoned jeeps. There are options to jump into the driver’s, passenger or gunner’s seat. I opt for the latter, but just as I do the preview code starts to wig out. I can’t look around, shoot or even get out. The battle continues all around me but my controls have locked up. Which is good timing.
00:60 - Because time’s up!

So, the big question is… Do I want to keep playing beyond the first hour?

I’ve seen enough here to know that I want to check out the final game come September. It’s clear this is a shooter that prioritises quick thinking above being quick on the trigger. Yet it also advantages the player who understands they need to proceed with caution. That appeals to me far more than the shooting gallery type of FPS.

Even though by the end of the hour I’d gotten the hang of issuing basic commands, there were a host of other options I’d barely looked at. A proper tutorial would be of huge benefit. The evidence points towards a deep, complex experience. Let’s hope it also manages to be accessible to those willing to give it a try.

If you’ve got any questions about Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, let me know and I’ll try to answer them today.

Kotaku AU Note: This post was originally published on July 28. We were later informed there was an embargo in place on Operation Flashpoint 2 preview coverage. That embargo has now lifted.

Javelin Interface -in game-

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362441

Codemaster Community Manager said:
Just posted at http://www.operationflashpoint2.info...p?readmore=234

The image is taken whilst using the FGM-148 Javelin anti-tank guided missile
3662598036_7f08729723.jpg

Full size version available on Flickr here.

Here's how it compares with the real thing:
javelin-missile-simulator-4.jpg

http://www.operationflashpoint2.info/news.php?readmore=234
article said:
Erinnert ihr euch noch das letzte OFPR Gewinnspiel, in den CM Foren, speziell für die deutsche Community ? Heute trafen bei den ersten Personen die Preise. Ein wunderschöner USB Stick (siehe oben), in einer Spezialanfertigung. Aber bei diesem Gewinnspiel seid auch ihr anderen, die keinen Stick gewonnen haben, die Gewinner. Denn, man glaubt es kaum: Auf dem USB Stick befindet sich ein exklusiver Screenshot !

Dieser zeigt uns die sogenannte Thermal Imaging Camera der FGM-148 Javelin. Viele von euch sollten diese Sicht von diversen YouTube Videos kennen. Diese Ansicht bringt bei Nacht alle "warmen" Objekte schön zum leuchten und hebt diese optisch hervor. Super, daß es diese Ansicht ins Spiel schaffen wird. Sauber Codemasters !

translation of article german -> English from google said:
Reminds you have the latest OFP: DR game, in the CM forums, specifically for the German community? Today was the first person in the prices. A beautiful USB stick (see above), in a special design. But in this contest you are also others who do not stick have won, the winners. Because, believe it or not: On the USB stick is an exclusive screenshot!

This shows us the so-called thermal imaging camera in the FGM-148 Javelin. Many of you should view these YouTube videos of various familiar. This view is at night all the "hot" objects to the beautiful shine and highlights this visually apparent. Super, that this view into the game will create. Sauber Codemasters!

If anyone speaks fluent german I would like a more proper translation of the text instead of google translation, I sence not everything was translated correctly.[/quote]

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366478

17/07 - Operation Flashpoint gets ship date along with new Armoury video and screens
As promised, today we are pleased to announce that Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising will be shipping on October 6th in North America and releasing on October 8th through EPAC territories with a October 9th street date in the UK.

To celebrate the announcement of the release date, we are releasing a new "Armoury" video (which most of you have seen! ) showcasing the devastating effects of the authentic modern weapon systems which gamers can deploy in Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising’s intense battles.

The video is now available to view and download from www.flashpointgame.com

Finally to round things off we have also released a brand new set of screenshots from the PC version, again showing off some of the weaponry you'll be able to get your hands on in the game.

3728362235_97960ae508.jpg

3729165232_401cd3f1a9.jpg

3729165346_001c81c590.jpg

3728362147_34edb76e2f.jpg

3728362571_d169bbf1ea.jpg

Once again, full size versions of the screens are available on our OFP: DR Flickr Picture Set

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5403602&postcount=35

Originally Posted by Chavtheworld
Thanks for the release date, but seriously, why you ripping us UK gamers off like always? 3 whole days later?! The bleeding americans will have finished the damn thing by then. I thought this was a UK made game anyway, there better be a good explanation for this! *stares at helios*
Helios said:
Video games in the UK are typically released on a Friday for numerous reasons. The US version of the game is only shipping to stores on the 6th, so it will likely not be on the shelves until a couple of days after the 6th.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366544
[1st post 2nd post and 3rd post for the gif]
cologo3.gif
17/07 - Time of Day Effects & Dynamic Weather in OFP: DR
Nice little unexpected update for you all, fresh from the dev studio!

The below is a post from Mike Smith the lead artist on Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. He very kindly took time out of his busy schedule to write the below and take some screens to describe some of beautiful time of day and weather effects you'll experience first hand in the game!

Hi Guys,

I thought it would be good to fill you in on the way the dynamic time of day and weather system we have in Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising works. It’s very powerful, and gives us the chance to really change the visual aesthetic when you’re fighting around the island. The system is easy to set up in the editor, and can be very powerful if you start delving into the scripting control.

We have x5 weather ‘states’:

Clear – clear skies bright and stark lighting

Cloudy – bright with cloud cover

Foggy – heavy fog, lower visibility

Overcast – hazy and oppressive, heavy cloud cover

Stormy – dramatic moody storm clouds

Each of those has the full time of day cycle of 24 hours, done in such a way that they blend seamlessly as the game ticks over.

On top of the above weather conditions, each has a 0-100% fog setting, to allow different aesthetics. For example the visibility on the foggy weather setting with fog turned to 100% is very close (5-10 meters) and gives tons of atmosphere, ideal for tense sneaky Spec. Ops missions. Whereas in clear weather the fog adds a haze effect, where visibility is very high (you can see the entire length of the island, all 32 km!).

On top of this you can blend between any fog setting and/or any weather setting. For example you could go from very close fog to a very clear day, if you wanted. You can also control the time of day… All of this is available in the editor and through script control, we can’t wait to see what the community do with this. As ever pictures describe better than words, here’s some examples of the dramatic lighting we can achieve.

weathereffects.gif

3728931945_9637a8ec7f_o.jpg

3729733558_4153c21f31_o.jpg

3729733694_ee2bdae8de_o.jpg

3728932173_7a1454a2dc_o.jpg

3729734372_ac353dd59f_o.jpg

3729734088_b40149fab7_o.jpg

3728932277_cfaf3158bc_o.jpg

3728932879_5a35e1db2e_o.jpg

3729734706_7006d278f6_o.jpg

3729734770_56a0731430_o.jpg

3729734972_3760bc368a_o.jpg

3729734858_fde81f95c9_o.jpg

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366557
17/07 - Support Fire in Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Wow updates galore today, as i've just had passed to me a short explanation of the differing support fire types found in the game by Tim Browne, Senior Games Designer for OFP: DR

Many thanks this time to Tim for taking the time to write this informative update.

Che Guevara 67 recently posted about the tactical artillery choices and the point was raised that a ‘Harassing’ fire mission is not a real artillery request. To clear up some of the issues I thought I’d explain what the differences are between each of the different fire mission patterns and how they may affect the AI you use them against. I should also point out that we chose the name ‘Harassing’ for one of the patterns as we felt it best described the result.

* A ‘Tight’ pattern is 4 waves of 4 shells over an area of 20 metres. This is an intense focused attack on a small area design to take out armour and buildings.
* A ‘Scattered’ pattern is 4 waves of 4 shells over an area of 50 metres. This is used more speculatively when there are multiple targets in a large area.
* A ‘Barrage’ pattern is 20 separate shells over an area of 20 metres. This is a sustained attack on a small area perfect for convoys as they’re passing through a narrow valley.
* A ‘Harassing’ pattern is 20 separate shells fired over an area of 50 metres. As the name suggests this is used to harass the enemy that maybe dug in. As it is sustained fired it is perfect for keeping the enemy suppressed.

All of these patterns are available with all three sizes of artillery at your disposal. My advice is use the tight and barrage patterns with the medium mortars, the scattered and harassing patterns with the heavy mortars and all four patterns are great with the unforgiving howitzer.

Hope this has cleared up some of the questions. Time to call in the ‘Hard Rain’

Make sure you have watched those 4 videos, I posted above Part 1 and 2 of each there the developers playing the missions.. and sadly getting there hats handed to them...

Some more influx of information soon.

Linky
Here’s a quick rundown of the options you can choose after bringing up the radial menu with the Right Bumper button:

Move

Follow me
Orders—This selection on the first radial menu will open a second one with the following sub-menus: Offense, Defense, Fire and Movement. They break down as so:
Offense: Assault, Flank Left, Flank Right and Halt.
Defense: Follow Me, Fall Back, Defend and Halt.
Fire: Suppress, Engage and Hold Fire.
Movement: Move, Move Fast, Halt and Exit.
Tactical—The other main selection on the main rotary command menu covers ROE (Rules of Engagement), Spread, Formations and Medic.
ROE: Fire at Will, Fire on My Lead, Return Fire and Hold Fire.
Spread: Tight Spread, Normal Spread and Combat Spread.
Formation: Wedge, Column, Line and Vee.​

The article makes notice there are also context sensitive orders such as assault building...

Hands-On

Linky

Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising
bullet.gif
Submitted on: 11 August, 2009

Last Friday I headed into London after Codemasters invited Console Monster to check out two of their biggest titles that are due out at the end of the year. Personally I was quite excited, as Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising was one of the titles being showcased and it’s been on my game radar for a few months.

After a brief presentation of the game we got a short hands-on with the co-op. Sadly this was very limited for everyone as there were more people than units to play on, I did wriggle myself in and also watched a lot of people to get a general idea.

The market is already saturated with modern day FPS titles, so what makes OF:DR so special? Well, how about the 220 sq km of open terrain, that takes over 9 hours on foot to cross? Or maybe a real-time day and night cycle, as well as a weather system, and a large variety of vehicles that might tickle your fancy. Hailed as the biggest military toy box ever seen in a console FPS, Operation Flashpoint 2 certainly does offer something amazing for the more tactical gamer.

I never played the original Operation Flashpoint, and from the looks of a rather dedicated following still online today, I am quite envious. OP:DR is a sequel to the critically acclaimed PC title OF: Cold War Crisis, which was well received by media and its community. In fact the game provided such a rich and realistic military experience, it was later adapted for combat training for a number of defence forces under the name VBS1.

Visually, the game impresses, especially on the console where the map's sheer size did not hinder gameplay performance. Character and weapon models are top notch and climbing up to a high area can even display the whole span of the island, which is some pretty impressive draw distance. Lighting in particular was spectacular, and a personal highlight was being shown some night-time footage, the whole mood turns blue and the atmosphere really changed.

The sniper rifle attached with a thermal scope at night just looked so real and I was honestly jealous watching the developer play as he checked out the surroundings with it equipped. The attention to detail was something that really got me, from your AI team whispering at night and shouting during heated battles, to reload times depending on the weapon you are using.

We had a demo of a night-time mission in hardcore mode from the developers. Hardcore mode is obviously the hardest difficulty in the game, but instead of notching up damage taken or given from enemy AI, it just removes the HUD. This means that simple indications about how much ammo you have left or the health of your squad is completely removed and you must keep yourself informed. Enemy locations spotted by your AI team mates will only be announced vocally, so it’s vital that you really concentrate and rely on your team wither its AI or human.

You can even play the game relying entirely on your AI team and not even engaging the enemy yourself. Bringing up a menu allows you to choose from a whole range of plays, such as flanking the enemy, storming a building or even moving around in a ‘vee’ formation. Opening the map and selecting located enemy targets allows you to concentrate fire onto particular groups of enemies, making sure you are in control at all times.

Unlike Call of Duty, or even Rainbow Six, OP:DR requires such a high degree of team work that I have never really experience before. Sure clan gamers could argue that tactics play a vital role in their play for those titles, but the single player doesn’t really require you to think or even care about your squad, watching them drop like helpless flies. This means the up to four player online co-op in OP:DR should be played with friends who are willing to dedicate time to some slow-paced and arduous missions; this is one title that is going to frustrate the hell out of you but feel so rewarding when the work is done.

It’s a shame our team of distracted journalists couldn’t hold a squad together, which really proves how difficult it is without the right concentration, or even leadership. It was a shame us jurnos couldn't hold it together, as I was looking forward to trying out the many modes of transport in the game.

It was brief but I really enjoyed my time with Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. If you are looking for a slow paced, rewarding and hardcore FPS experience then take notice. This game, to be released 9th of October, is certainly one that will hold a dedicated following, and hopefully impress the already interested crowd.

Written by
Lauren Wainwright
Content Monster

Last edited:
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Hands On

Linky

Posted on 12/08/2009 by Darryl
Gaming Union was fortunate enough to attend an event hosted by Codemasters, where they were showing off the latest build of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. After watching a demonstration in a movie theatre, the opportunity arose to check out the game with some good hands-on time.

For those who aren't aware, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is the sequel to Operation Flashpoint, which was released way back in 2001 for the Xbox and PC. It is a first-person shooter (FPS) which has a largely tactical focus, and this is what separates it from the other military FPS titles out there. Gameplay isn't just a case of running through levels like Rambo, as the opposition will just mow everyone down. Instead, tactics must be used effectively to control the 4-man team. However, it's worth stressing that there is no "correct" way to complete a mission.

The game features an exceedingly large terrain, and it's possible to walk all around. It might take a while though, as it's all scaled accurately. Great strives have been taken to make the landscape as realistic as possible, and the draw distance is very impressive. There is also a fully operational time-cycle in place, so it's possible to see the sun setting during the middle of missions.

The level of depth may seem intimidating for novice players of the game, with there being over 60 different weapons, and an array of military tactics. This has been countered by offering players three difficulty levels. The "assisted" difficulty has a full user interface available and plentiful checkpoints, whereas "hardcore" is recommended for those that want a truly immersive experience. Checkpoints are taken away, and there is a very minimal user interface; to achieve success on hardcore will require a lot of patience and strategy.

During our play session, we had the opportunity to check out the co-operative gameplay. This allows four friends to undertake the same missions, as part of the same team. This can be done either online, or via system link and voice chat is definitely recommended. Team work is not essential for success, obviously, but it's definitely recommended. When things start to get tough, it's reassuring to know there are some buddies watching your back.

The campaign itself focuses on a conflict between the three major powers in military: the USA, Russia and China. The US forces are fighting against the Chinese military, in order to free a Russian island that's been taken over by PLAs. IT all sounds a bit confusing, but there are 11 missions which will hope to explain the situation. There will also be a lot of variety in the missions, with them taking place all over the island, and during different times of day. There will also be a certain amount of vehicular-based combat, just to keep things fresh.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is going to try and take the FPS genre by storm when it's released on the 9th of October, 2009 on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC. Based on what we saw, it will definitely offer a cerebral experience and looks like it's definitely one to keep on the radar.

Operation Flashpoint 2 Interview

Linky

2009 seems destined to go down as the year of the military sandbox shooter simulation. Well, that and the year of the fighting game. And the year of the triple-A delay. Ah screw it. Let’s just say that by the end of 2009 we’ll have seen two milisims, as they’re called, released. Bohemia Interactive’s Arma 2 is already out, and jolly good it is too.

Now it’s Codemasters’ turn with Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. Here, in an interview with senior game designer Tim Browne and art director Mike Smith, we learn why it’s the thinking man’s shooter and what the team really think of Bohemia’s game.

VideoGamer.com: The game seems unashamedly hardcore at a time when most first-person shooters aren’t.

Tim Browne: I know my demonstration was, unfortunately, I did die few too many times!
Mike Smith: You were crap!
TB: Yeah!

VideoGamer.com: I don’t know if you were crap. The game looks pretty hard.
TB: One of the things about the game, and it’s something that we’ve been focusing on over the last two months, is balancing and the AI. Everything else, other than a bit of polish on the graphics, is there, and for the last two months we’ve been working on it and we’re getting very close now. That build you just saw was about a week old, so things are even better now.

Now, it’s very difficult to talk and show off things at the same time as playing. Like I said I was trying to show more of the mission in a short space of time. Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is definitely your thinking man’s shooter. It’s got lots of action in, it’s got loads of explosions, loads of weapons and loads of vehicles, but it’s more about the tactical side than just being John Rambo.

Unfortunately as you saw a couple of times I didn’t really wait to check certain places were clear of enemies and ran into a hail of bullets. But we’re very proud of keeping the whole one bullet can kill you ethos. Unfortunately I didn’t get to show you the damage system. The damage system allows for you to take wounds where you’re just bleeding, or just light wounds as if the bullet has grazed you, so you’re very slightly wounded and it only affects you slightly.

MS: Tim got shot in the head from quite close range because he wasn’t paying attention to what was going on during his presentation. But the way generally people play the game is they first run in expecting it to be like other shooters and stuff, and then they get shot in the head quite quickly. You kind of go, right, I get this. It takes a little while sometimes, like a couple of play-throughs where you die a few times. It kind of twigs. People think about it a little more. They use binoculars to see where the enemy are. As Tim said it’s the thinking man’s game. It’s got much more depth than a lot of other first-person shooters, especially around at the moment.

We think that people are crying out for that. There’s been so many games where, come down this way we’ll show you a big scripted sequence, come round this corner. This really opens up. You’ve got this massive island. You can go pretty much anywhere you want. It’s going to click. People are going to think, my objective’s there – I could go completely all the way around and get a different take on it. I don’t have to follow this prescribed route.

But, for people who are so into their tunnel shooters we hold their hands quite a bit. We’ve got an RV system – you might have seen those little yellow flags? They’re basically a visual aid to take you through a route through the mission. So people who are like, oh I’m a bit lost, there’s all this world, I’m not sure where to go, playing on normal difficulty, which is our easy mode, we hold your hand and say, go here, go here and go here. We hope we’ve got enough accessibility in there and we’ve spent a lot of time recently on this to make sure that we introduce people to it and they get it and then give them enough time to get comfortable with the game.

TB: One of the things is we do allow the player to turn off the RV system at any time. It’s not on on hardcore. It is on on normal and experienced, but you can turn it off. Like I said, not everyone is au fait with military tactics, so we’re giving players an idea of where to go. Because this game is a sandbox tactical shooter, you can attack an objective from 360 degrees. We let the player choose how to attack. We give them tools to do it, like an anti-tank javelin missile, but they can choose to use it early on in the mission or later on. You don’t know what’s going to turn up.

The other thing is, our missions aren’t linear. It’s almost like a puzzle game at times. There are multiple different tactics you can use. Some will work brilliantly, some won’t work brilliantly, and some will just fail. We don’t tell the player what they are because, really, we don’t know exactly what they are. The AI decides where to go.

MS: I think that’s a very important aspect actually. The AI plays out differently depending on what you do each time. We don’t have scripted moments. We don’t trigger an event when the player gets to a certain area or anything like that. It’s the AI deciding what to do all the time. There’s a huge amount of replayability. You could take a different route. You could act in a different way and the AI might just fall back because you scare them. There’s so much complexity in there that I think when people go back to playing a standard tunnel FPS, they’re going to feel hemmed in. They’re like, what? I want to go around that hedge! It really opens your eyes. Once you’ve been playing this for a while and you play something else, it’s like, wow!

VideoGamer.com: What competitive multiplayer features will the game support?
TB: There is competitive multiplayer. We have two different modes. One is called Annihilation, and that is kind of different areas around the main island map. We’ve chosen some choke points where it’s basically big engagements and lots of people fighting.

And then there’s Infiltration, which is a very cool mode where you either choose to play as the United States Marine Corp on a smaller sized team, so there’s only ten people in that – there’s three fire teams, a sniper team, and two spec ops teams – and they have an objective to get in and destroy. However they’ve got to play against 22 PLA, so it’s an unbalanced but balanced game mode. They can choose whatever tactics they want. It’s quite good. It’s something we’ve been playing a lot recently at work, testing balancing, that kind of thing. It’s great fun because there are so many different tactics you can use - again, 360 degree map.

VideoGamer.com: How many players is that in total?
TB: On console it’s eight players on both modes. On PC it’s 32 players. The console game won’t suffer from lack of people though. We’re so proud of the advanced AI we’ve got in the game, that’s in the game you play on console.

VideoGamer.com: So it makes up the numbers with AI bots?
TB: Absolutely. You still have 32 people playing at the same time; just some of them are AI. That allows players to come in and either be on the same fire team, or say the three of us are playing, you come in on one fire team, you’ll be a fire team leader, I’ll be a fire team leader, he’ll be a fire team leader, so we’ve got entire fire teams below us. You also have the squad leader.

We are planning on DLC in the future. That’s about all we’re saying. We’re not just giving people the game and going that’s it, we’re off doing something else. We fully appreciate the support the community has given us, and so we’re going to be supporting the community for a long time to come with Dragon Rising while developing additional products.

VideoGamer.com: What’s the latest on the mission editor? As far as I’m aware it’s PC only. Is there any chance it might come to the console versions as well?

TB: It’s something we made a decision about a long time ago when we realised how difficult it was on the console. Never say never, but it’s a very tricky point. We’re very proud of the fact that we’re releasing the game simultaneously on PC and console, which obviously the original title didn’t do – it took a long time before it came to the console market.
In that respect, yep, it is a bit of a niggly point that the console gamers are annoyed with. Unfortunately it’s something we can’t do anything about at the moment. But never say never.

MS: The key thing with this iteration is it’s the first one we’ve developed obviously. We’ve got the EGO tech we’ve leveraged to do this. Obviously we had to change it quite a bit to achieve this level of sophistication. It’s such a big streaming world. We really wanted to make sure that the core experience is really solid. We ploughed all our time into that. The core infantry experience is as good as we can get it. It’s as close to war anyone can get. Future kind of stuff? We’ve got loads of cool ideas.
The PC mission editor is the exact same one our guys used to generate missions. It’s very strong. It’s easy to just jump in there and put some stuff down. It’s got an immensely powerful back end. So, leveraging all that on console would have been an absolutely monumental task. We wanted to concentrate on the game and making it top notch.

VideoGamer.com: Do you see the Operation Flashpoint brand as one that could be turned into a franchise? Perhaps not yearly updates like Call of Duty, but perhaps every two years?

TB: 100 per cent. Codemasters have put a lot of time, effort, money, blood, sweat and tears into Operation Flashpoint, so it would be foolish to release it and then that’s it. We’ve got a very big community following. We’re hoping that’s going to get even bigger with the release of Dragon Rising. It’s a product that Codemasters is very proud of. So yeah, it’s pretty easy to assume that Operation Flashpoint is here to stay. We can’t say any more on that.
MS: We can do so much with the technology we’ve got.
TB: Yeah. There are so many different locations and conflicts and things we could do with Flashpoint. It’s not as if we don’t have a huge amount of things to choose from.

VideoGamer.com: So maybe in a couple of year’s time we might see another Operation Flashpoint game?

TB: Who knows?
MS: Wait and see!

VideoGamer.com: I can’t not ask about ArmA 2. Have you guys played it?

TB: I had a bit of a look at it. We’ve been rather busy trying to finish Dragon Rising so we haven’t had half the amount of time we would have liked to play on it.

VideoGamer.com: The game’s out now. From what you’ve seen, what do you think?

TB: Me personally, I think the game’s interesting. It’s got some very fun things in it. It’s a different game to what Dragon Rising’s all about. After playing it I’m pretty happy with the decisions we’ve made on what we’re doing with our game. Would you agree?
MS: Yeah I think that’s pretty much spot on. It’s interesting what they’re doing. I’m very proud of what we’ve done with Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.

VideoGamer.com: So you think there’s enough difference between the two games for people to be able to distinguish between the two games?

TB: Absolutely.
MS: It comes from the core game experience. Someone picking up and playing our game, even if they’re not a milisim head, or if they are, I think they’ll connect with ours quicker. We’ve spent a lot of time making sure accessibility is paramount.
TB: A lot of people have said you’re either going to choose Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising or ArmA 2. I totally disagree. Why go for one over another?

VideoGamer.com: Money, I guess. Some people can’t afford both.

TB: True, but we are releasing several months after Armed Assault. It’s one of those things. There’s room on the shelves for both titles, as far as I’m concerned.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is due out for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 on October 9.