Premium Supporter
Nov 26, 2017
4.67 star(s) Rating: 4.67/5 3 Votes
Title: Oppenheimer (2023)

Genre: History, Drama, War

Director: Christopher Nolan

Cast: Cillian Murphy

Release: 2023-07-21

Plot: The story of J. Robert Oppenheimer’s role in the development of the atomic bomb during World War II.

Saw this last night and needed some time to process it.

I was lucky enough to see it in IMAX 70mm. We have 1 of the only 30 theaters that is playing it in this format and its only 15 mins away from me. #blessed. ;)

It looked amazing and hands down the best way to watch it. But I have to say... if there was any Christopher Nolan film that didn't need to be shot with IMAX, it was this one.
While I loved the way it was shot and seeing it on this scale was incredible.. it didn't really seem necessary. The film is mostly dialogue so unlike most of his other films there is no real big set piece or action scene to take advantage of it (besides the one).

The performances in this are amazing. I can see Both Cillian Murphy and Robert Downey Jr getting Oscar Noms this year.
I'll actually call it now RDJ will win for best supporting actor. He's that good in it.
I also thought Benny Safdie did a fantastic job as well.

There are a TON of great actors in this. Big name actors doing small bit parts. its actually insane to see the full cast list. Try to avoid spoilers if you can because its nuts how many people show up.

The film is long. And it feels long. So maybe don't buy the large soda before going in.
It may not be my favorite Nolan film and its probably one I wont be doing multiple viewings of but its still a very very good film and worth seeing.

The film is long. And it feels long. So maybe don't buy the large soda before going in.
Very interesting that you mentioned this. I actually talked to a few people I know that have watched the movie. And they either totally lost themselves in the movie and didn't feel a minute or like you, they felt the length.
I'm in the first group, I didn't feel the three hours at all, time flew by. It was like I was in a different dimension while watching.
This film is definitely going to split people in that regard.
But I agree with everything else you said.
Not sure about the multiple viewing as of now. Because at the moment I want to watch it again as soon as possible, but I'm not sure it's going to be a film that I'm going to watch every year once or twice like other Nolan movies.

Very interesting that you mentioned this. I actually talked to a few people I know that have watched the movie. And they either totally lost themselves in the movie and didn't feel a minute or like you, they felt the length.
I'm in the first group, I didn't feel the three hours at all, time flew by. It was like I was in a different dimension while watching.

Fair enough. I will say, it held my interest the entire time. So nothing against it that way.
But they probably could have cut 20 mins or so and it would have benefited IMO.

If a movie is 3 hours long... they should add an intermission. haha

Reactions: spider-bat
If a movie is 3 hours long... they should add an intermission. haha

The only films I've seen which had intermissions was the LoTRs trilogy. I'm seeing it this coming Tuesday in IMAX, there is either a 3 and half or 4 hour time gap between showings so maybe there will be one.

Reactions: kaw
I really liked it. Honestly I was going into this with a bit of hope but not expecting to really enjoy it. After Tenet and Nolan doubling down on some of his tendencies that I don't enjoy very much I thought this might be similar but I was wrong, I thought it was superb, and definitely up there with his best work. Feels very, very different to a lot of his work in recent years too given there are basically no big setpieces which nearly everything he's done in the last 10-15 years have been based around.

I would definitely say that it's probably a tough one for a more casual moviegoer, it is slow and takes plenty of time to build up steam, and the changing between black and white and colour and going back and forth in time would all add up to likely make it challenging for a lot of people. On reflection I actually can't say I noticed the time passing with this which to me is always a good sign from a movie. The soundtrack was phenomenal too, I never expected it to be anything like that but I saw Mondo put up a listing for it shortly after I got out (and before I headed to Barbie) and instantly ordered it.

But I agree with everything else you said.
Not sure about the multiple viewing as of now. Because at the moment I want to watch it again as soon as possible, but I'm not sure it's going to be a film that I'm going to watch every year once or twice like other Nolan movies.

I agree, film didn't feel 3 hours at all, moved along at a good pace and didn't feel dragged out at all

Definitely Nolan's best work in a while

Reactions: spider-bat
Saw it yesterday in IMAX, unfortunately digital and unfortunately on a screen that doesn't have the trademark IMAX format.
But still, very impressive film and I can't wait to rewatch it when it comes out on 4K. I think this will be like with Dunkirk for me, multiple revisits required to fully appreciate the artistry behind it.

I have to say though, with all the hype and speculation around the bomb, the actual trinity scene was incredibly underwhelming. Especially when Nolan says in interviews "We don't wanna give away the tricks" when being asked how it was done. After having seen it, well it's just some freakin explosions that don't look all that big at all. It doesn't come close to the stock footage of the actual trinity test in any way, it looks more like a gas leak explosion. Which is odd because there is a shot in the trailers which is featured in the beginning of the film where you see a (I believe) colorized version of the actual footage of the test. And it looks absolutely apocalyptical. The scene at the climax of the film is just...I don't know...very disappointing in terms of the visuals. I really would have expected for his visual effects team to come up with a way to recreate these horrifying images for the film, especially after all the marketing hype and secrecy surrounding the entire production of the film.

Just came back from the cinema from watching this and thought it was excellent.

I know I’m in the minority when I say I usually find myself disappointed after watching Nolan’s movies in general (except memento which I also loved), again just my opinion ….however I found this to be engrossing, surprising and I’m quite reflective about it.

Reactions: GeoRattray
We were mentioning in the Manta Oppenheimer thread about our love for Ludwig's score for the film, so I thought I'd move the discussion here. This is an interesting article about the composition process for the music: How 'Oppenheimer' Composer Ludwig Goransson Channeled Impending Doom. I think Ludwig is kind of a genius. Whenever filmscore needs fresh innovation and change, there's always someone who steps up; for the previous generation, it was Hans, and for this generation, it's Ludwig.

Reactions: NateDog