Oppo BDP-103

May 30, 2012
I broke down today and ordered an Oppo BDP-103 multi-region blu ray player.

I'm in California at the moment and had been tempted by the stock Oppo unit, until I discovered over $40 in sales tax in my shopping cart. 220 Electronics were advertising the region free model on their website, and with a 5% discount and shipping it came to $682.05. I'll finally be able to play my small but growing 3D blu ray selection, and more importantly play my PAL DVDs on America's retarded NTSC only flat screen TVs. SACD and DVD-A capability is the icing on the cake.

why is this so expensive

OPPO is an enthusiast's brand.

It's a small company selling direct to the consumer. Their products have always had aggressive price/performance: they pull high-end features into mid-range players at prices that were not available before.

It's less important now, but during the DVD era they always excelled at the very difficult aspects of video processing. Calibrators say the players always produce textbook video levels, something not all brands do, although we have very little public test results these days.

They take care of "legacy" customers: still supporting the old SVCD format, still getting the most out of DVD and providing analog audio. They kept component video until licensing killed it this year.

Lots of little features that add up for the movie buff: 50hz content and optional output, Constant Image Height stretch, shiftable subtitles, informative On Screen Display.

More and more media types, increasing use of DLNA and now SMB, digital inputs and the Roku Streaming Stick.

Finally, legendary customer support.

The new 105D version player is incredible watching a Blu ray on that even on Panasonics latest 65 inch Plasma I got calibrated by D Nice at Roberts store where it comes already broken in and pristine. You can still make the picture improve from my old 93. The older 93 is a great player but the small improvements you can make with the Darblet in the player are stunning, if you have a nice calibrated set or projector this beauty is worth every penny to upgrade your current Blu Ray player if you really want the best. I was afraid to have it modified to play all regions so I still use my 93 which is great but if you want excellence the 105D is the ticket.

no. mine was deliverd region free. just had to push some buttons to change the region. no adapter as far as i see