Oscars 2016 A Time Of Change Hopefully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scary Hair

Lost The Plot Ninja
Apr 27, 2012
Derbyshire ,England.
I think it would be wrong to ignore sweep under the carpet to not acknowledge that a situation has raised its head . Out of all the categories every film every director every actor actress as Spike Lee has put it
Lily White .

If the person deserves a nomination fair enough . Who decides ? . Who ticks the box to say yhea that performance is worthy of a prized slot .

This years cerimoney will prove what I have felt for years . It is a select few . Mates of mates looking out for oneanother . Same names year after year . It gets boring .

Is this a political statement what I am typeing NO .

Is it a take on what is happening in the real world YES .

Rights wrongs who wins who is nominated no one will ever get it right for everybody to be happy .

It should be about the movies alone not the frocks , gifts Hair Suits . About the people who pay to see the people on screen .

Most things being filmed today was written in a past time where Diversety and integration where unthought of .

Will Smith cast as Deadshot in the Suiside Squad will be the start hopefully where casting directors see an Actor that fits the role regardless of skin colour . Regardless of Gender .

I want to see a James Bond I belive is Bond. Ashley Walters is someone who in my view fits the bill .

I want to see Noel Clark as Batman .

I want to see Vanessa Hudgens as Spiderman / Woman .

In the world of film it brings chances for change . That can bring change in the real world . Morgan Freeman and Danny Glover as the President of The United States Of America set the seed for Obama's Two terms.

Roll on the day when it is the performance ALONE that is recognised .

Should people Boycott thats a personal choice for the indevidual to decide.

If they do then I can not fault them at all .

Love Scary .

They won best Animated . Not best picture @Flloydo .

I stand corrected Nemo was not up for Best Picture in 2003 .

Toy Story 3 was and lost to The Kings Speech

1991 Beauty and The Beast Lost to Silence Of The Lambs .

Toy Sory 3 deserved the win . It got the animated for me that year IT WAS TGE BIG WINNER.

Its the whole has to fit in a certain box to qualify .

But toy story 3 is a animated film. So why would it win best picture?

It's a 2 for 1 with best pic and best animated. They are getting the same praise but because it's animated it gets a separate category.
Again with nemo, why would it win best picture? It's an animated picture.

When did they bring in the animated category?
I'm confused with why toy story would loose to kings speech. They are different category's

Again if there was not an animated category back when beauty and beast was nominated then it makes sense to me that silence of the lambs won. Performances were too good

But toy story 3 is a animated film. So why would it win best picture?

It's a 2 for 1 with best pic and best animated. They are getting the same praise but because it's animated it gets a separate category.
Again with nemo, why would it win best picture? It's an animated picture.

When did they bring in the animated category?
I'm confused with why toy story would loose to kings speech. They are different category's

Again if there was not an animated category back when beauty and beast was nominated then it makes sense to me that silence of the lambs won. Performances were too good

Silence for me was the better film than Beauty and the Beast .

Toy Story 3 blew me away more than the Kings Speech . I was well it ment more as the hope was lost and faceing doom the tenderness. Yes its only the actors voices . They in a way have more to do . Read it flat thire just words . They breath life into what the animators do .

Annimated came in I think 96 ish .

Why can a cartoon not win best picture IF it is the Best Picture ? .

I see it an an elitist Snobery that you have to stay in a cryterior of this is this and that IS THAT .

Okay just found this.
Didnt realise some animations have also had best pic nominations
(Which don't make sense to me)
image.png

Also all these won best animation (which to me is still best pic but for animation)
Shrek - 2001
Spirited away - 2002
Finding nemo - 2003
The incredibles - 2004
Wallace and grommit - 2005
Ratatouille - 2007
Wall - E - 2008
Up - 2009
Toy story 3 - 2010
Brave - 2012
Frozen - 2013
Big hero 6 - 2014

All worthy winners and technically it's still best pic but for animation.
Don't get what you mean

Silence for me was the better film than Beauty and the Beast .

Toy Story 3 blew me away more than the Kings Speech . I was well it ment more as the hope was lost and faceing doom the tenderness. Yes its only the actors voices . They in a way have more to do . Read it flat thire just words . They breath life into what the animators do .

Annimated came in I think 96 ish .

Why can a cartoon not win best picture IF it is the Best Picture ? .

I see it an an elitist Snobery that you have to stay in a cryterior of this is this and that IS THAT .

But your getting 2 pest pictures each year!! Best pic and best animated.

I must see things differently but it makes sense to me

2001 when the animated category was introduced .

It is seen as a childs form of entertainment thirefore not serious enough to win a Best Picture .

Not at all.
I'm sorry but not at all.

Before they brought in animated category it made sense to add them to best pic BUT there are so many animated films each year and I think pixar took it to a new level of film making it had to have its own category. Nothing to do with too childish

Soon there will be a superhero category because of the last 7 years and future with so many super hero films coming out each year lol

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Scary Hair
See think thats it I am still a kid . Rich says he has 3 kids and I will always be the youngest . Kids tell me to grow up .

I'm a big kid too and love animated films and I like that they have a seperate category :)

I'm a big kid too and love animated films and I like that they have a seperate category :)

I like the seperate category however Toy Sory 3 took it to a level playing field for me . It made me forget that it was animated . Same with Big Hero 6 .

I wish it was voted for on the indevidual merits like the actors /actresses not the whole it will never happen . Look past the Boxes see the story and the power they hold .

I like the seperate category however Toy Sory 3 took it to a level playing field for me . It made me forget that it was animated . Same with Big Hero 6 .

I wish it was voted for on the indevidual merits like the actors /actresses not the whole it will never happen . Look past the Boxes see the story and the power they hold .

Yeah toy story 3 was the best one. Couldn't believe how good it was. Just a tad better than the 1st one.

It's a tough one with actual voice actors being nominated. They are not putting nowhere near the amount of effort to an on screen actor.
And yeah there have been a actor voice cast that might of been better than someone's voice in a film but it's about the overall package of acting. Not just voice acting.

Personally if they wanted that to happen then that would need seperate categories. Like best female voice in animated film and same for male.
If there was an exception for them being nominated for best actor then it would be for parts like Robin Williams - genie and James woods - hades etc as they actually Improvised. (I know there have been a few others but they are examples)

But then my counter argument would be scarlet johansson in "Her" as that's one of the best voice overs I've ever heard. Felt real that one. And I don't know how they would count that if she was nominated

• Informative
Not seen Her so dont know about that .

Still carn't watch Toy Story 3 just thinking about it I'm in floods of tears .

The nomination to me recognises the work done. A win would seal the job . It should be undoubtedly The BEST no matter what .

I find some of the choices to matey and narrow minded have done for years .

Do I want Dicaprio to win HELL YES . He should have won before now same with Pitt and Depp .
All 3 seen as pritty poster boys . NOT knock your socks off actors .

Reactions: Flash
Not seen Her so dont know about that .

Still carn't watch Toy Story 3 just thinking about it I'm in floods of tears .

The nomination to me recognises the work done. A win would seal the job . It should be undoubtedly The BEST no matter what .

I find some of the choices to matey and narrow minded have done for years .

Do I want Dicaprio to win HELL YES . He should have won before now same with Pitt and Depp .
All 3 seen as pritty poster boys . NOT knock your socks off actors .

But being nominated in best animated picture does recognise the work well done.

Oh yeah some choices are matey and narrow. Sometimes it chnages but it's rare.

That's mainly because depp is no longer a knock your socks of actor anymore.
Hate to say it but he just don't have it anymore and this is coming from someone who used to worship depp.
Same as burton. He lost it years and years ago. And I was also a fanatic of his.
Infact they (depp and burton) ruined each other.
Last good one was sleepy hollow.
As much as I like the newest Charlie choc factory it is really sh*t and nothing on the original, and I liked Alice in wonderland but still there was something huge missing. Burton editied it strange and felt incomplete (apparently he cut like 30 mins which would explain why certain scenes ended wierd and like he wasn't trying - with some bad CGI in places)
Sweeney Todd could of been a hundred times better, dark shadows was shite etc
So yeah they ruined each other and don't deserve Best director and actor anymore. Until they try hard again.
But then burtons big eyes is supposed to be good (no depp) and I really want to see black mass and I've heard good things (no burton)

If depp was to win an Oscar is should of been for Edward scissorhands or fear and loathing in Las Vegas - his best performances.
Yeah captain jack sparrow is an amazing character but only in the first film. He completely ruined the character after that.

And burton as a film maker for Oscar win should of been big fish - that's one of his greatest efforts. Or scissorhands or beetlejuice (think that won costume of effects anyway) oh or ed wood. All great works.
I'm a huge fan of batman, sleepy hollow, batman returns etc but none are Oscar worthy.

Let's just hope he don't ruin beetlejuice 2 and dumbo

Pitt also needs to pull his finger out. Last quality roles was inglorious / Benjamin button. Been a while

Last edited:
@Flloydo
Pitt World War Z OMG .

All 3 have loads of time yet . Its like you know the names before they are read out .

Anyway the Academy is on about doubling its female / ethnic membership by 2020 . Hopefully double the members under 500 years old too .

@Flloydo
Pitt World War Z OMG .

All 3 have loads of time yet . Its like you know the names before they are read out .

Anyway the Academy is on about doubling its female / ethnic membership by 2020 . Hopefully double the members under 500 years old too .

He really wasn't that good in WWZ.
No where near Oscar worthy. No where near.

Yeah I like the film (uncut version not theatrical) and I liked him in it but he wasn't even trying. Maybe one or 2 scenes he gave it a bit of welly.

If you are a fan of someone it's hard to critique them but now i am able.
I'm a huge Pitt fan but he's losing it a little in certain films or role choices. And most actors do have a crappy period and sometimes come back from it but you can't guarantee it. Depp may never act well again (highly doubtful but trying to prove a point) Pitt needs fincher to cast him as a main again. Bring him back
In a David fincher film.

I'm a huge kurt Russell fan and I'm so glad he's kinda back again. Loved him in vanilla sky and since then he's been the bomb in most stuff. Especially with Tarantino in deathproof and hateful eight so it does happen and they can come back.

Depp just needs time away from burton and maybe he will start acting well. Pitt probably needs to divorce angelina to get Back into his method acting etc lol

Still need to see the big short. That does look good but I think Pitt has a small role (like 12 years a slave)

After that rant I still hope Pitt is in WWZ 2 though

Edit: when I say Pitt is losing it, it's no where near the way depp is. I actually take that back about him.
Pitt is still a great actor and I forgot about moneyball, fury and a few other recent films but still he seems different to how he was 10 years ago with films. He needs some gritty films again imo

Last edited:
He is very underestimated like Denziel . Wwz have to agree not his performance nomination worthy . Best film worthy yhead oh yhea . Especially that score .

Kurt Russell I have always had a soft spot for him .

Also Chiwetel Ejiofor he was overlooked in Kinky Boots as was the whole Amazing movie .

I think Straight Outta Compton definitely deserved a nomination or two, but with so many great films and performances this year, lots of other worthy people were always going to miss out. Spike Lee is old fashioned and I've lost a lot of respect for him over the years, especially after he stole someone's artwork to promote his Old Boy remake, and basically told the artist to get over it. I get the impression he's just kicking up a huge fuss about nothing to try and stay relevant... same goes for Jada Pinkett Smith (who?).

Here's Ice Cube giving his 2 cents anyway, and personally I think he's nailed it...

Reactions: Flloydo and Flash
What many people fail to realize is how the Oscars is based and ran. Many (and I was like this years ago) were clueless. You just see the glitz and glam on TV so you just assume its for the BEST MOVIES. So when you don't see a particular movie that perhaps killed and smashed at the box office and had rave reviews listed ... you automatically think they are getting screwed. That is the public perception. Granted that is my first reaction at all times too, but then it always kicks in on me now the truth behind it.

There are many rules. Some factors being that it has to be released within the deadlines. It has to have an opening in Los Angeles. It can't be released on practically any format or delivery (ie. netflix) prior to its theatrical opening or its not eligible. The nominations are also paid for by the studio in that small studios can't afford to compete. You will only see the small studio film stuff in Best Short, Best Doc, Best Foreign Film.

I've been told it has to open in NY too. This is why Beasts of No Nation with Idris Elba opened theatrically simultaneously on Netflix in guess which cities ......... LA & NY. This was to be eligible for a potential oscar push.

There are lots of other fine line eligibilities too. I like the Oscars and its a great thing, but this doesn't mean it represents the best of the best of the best from all films the past year has to offer. It's Hollywood at it's finest and there is BIG money to be made from Oscar wins and thus it costs money to market it as well. How many of you hadn't seen Boyhood last year then after the Oscar win you wanted to see it? Or Birdman ... throw out the fact that we are on a film forum but imagine the general public ....

Here are some stats.

• The cost of a ‘Best Picture’ winning Oscar campaign is around $10 million
  • Half of all the money spent on Oscar campaigns will go on advertising
  • A page 1 advert in The Hollywood Reporter during Oscar season costs $72,000.
  • Crash (2005) spent $250,000 on DVD screeners
  • PR consultants are paid $10k-$15k, plus bonuses of $20k per nomination / win.
  • It costs around $3,500 to prepare a Hollywood actress for the red carpet
  • Oscar nominated films earn average of $12.7m more than films not nominated
  • A ‘Best Picture’ Oscar win is worth $3 million in increased box office gross
  • A Golden Globe win is worth $14.2 million
  • The non-financial benefits to studios of an Oscar ‘Best Picture’ are worth $7m
  • Best Actor winners can expect a $3.9m salary increase
  • It’s just $500k for Best Actress winners

That said I don't see race being the biggest issue. If anything its just the typical "Almighty dollar" ... and the travesty that women are so largely underpaid compared to the men. Surely the gap shouldn't be that far apart. But to change that is to make huge waves. The power actresses need to get together and get amazing scripts with female ensemble casts to AMAZING films and then create the demand for people to try and copy the model ... until you do that the demand isn't there when all the action movies rule the box offices and they grab the next model-actress-look-alike to do her parts. (ie. Transformers starlets) create > the > demand > for true talent.

The above is just a taste of some of the facts ... you can wiki more or read the rules (extremely long :p ) at Oscars.org.

The Oscars .... a fancy smancy name ......... in blue collar terms ... "Hollywood Industry Awards" .... and there's nothing wrong with that.

What many people fail to realize is how the Oscars is based and ran. Many (and I was like this years ago) were clueless. You just see the glitz and glam on TV so you just assume its for the BEST MOVIES. So when you don't see a particular movie that perhaps killed and smashed at the box office and had rave reviews listed ... you automatically think they are getting screwed. That is the public perception. Granted that is my first reaction at all times too, but then it always kicks in on me now the truth behind it.

There are many rules. Some factors being that it has to be released within the deadlines. It has to have an opening in Los Angeles. It can't be released on practically any format or delivery (ie. netflix) prior to its theatrical opening or its not eligible. The nominations are also paid for by the studio in that small studios can't afford to compete. You will only see the small studio film stuff in Best Short, Best Doc, Best Foreign Film.

I've been told it has to open in NY too. This is why Beasts of No Nation with Idris Elba opened theatrically simultaneously on Netflix in guess which cities ......... LA & NY. This was to be eligible for a potential oscar push.

There are lots of other fine line eligibilities too. I like the Oscars and its a great thing, but this doesn't mean it represents the best of the best of the best from all films the past year has to offer. It's Hollywood at it's finest and there is BIG money to be made from Oscar wins and thus it costs money to market it as well. How many of you hadn't seen Boyhood last year then after the Oscar win you wanted to see it? Or Birdman ... throw out the fact that we are on a film forum but imagine the general public ....

Here are some stats.

• The cost of a ‘Best Picture’ winning Oscar campaign is around $10 million
  • Half of all the money spent on Oscar campaigns will go on advertising
  • A page 1 advert in The Hollywood Reporter during Oscar season costs $72,000.
  • Crash (2005) spent $250,000 on DVD screeners
  • PR consultants are paid $10k-$15k, plus bonuses of $20k per nomination / win.
  • It costs around $3,500 to prepare a Hollywood actress for the red carpet
  • Oscar nominated films earn average of $12.7m more than films not nominated
  • A ‘Best Picture’ Oscar win is worth $3 million in increased box office gross
  • A Golden Globe win is worth $14.2 million
  • The non-financial benefits to studios of an Oscar ‘Best Picture’ are worth $7m
  • Best Actor winners can expect a $3.9m salary increase
  • It’s just $500k for Best Actress winners

That said I don't see race being the biggest issue. If anything its just the typical "Almighty dollar" ... and the travesty that women are so largely underpaid compared to the men. Surely the gap shouldn't be that far apart. But to change that is to make huge waves. The power actresses need to get together and get amazing scripts with female ensemble casts to AMAZING films and then create the demand for people to try and copy the model ... until you do that the demand isn't there when all the action movies rule the box offices and they grab the next model-actress-look-alike to do her parts. (ie. Transformers starlets) create > the > demand > for true talent.

The above is just a taste of some of the facts ... you can wiki more or read the rules (extremely long :p ) at Oscars.org.

The Oscars .... a fancy smancy name ......... in blue collar terms ... "Hollywood Industry Awards" .... and there's nothing wrong with that.

Wow!! Some of that I knew but there was a lot I didn't.
Cheers

Read a funny quote from whoopi Goldberg today
"The oscars can't be that racist because I won one"

Lol

Reactions: Flash and Noodles
Just watched Graham Norton and I can totally appreciate Will Smith position and how he feels about the whole Oscar situation but his words puzzled.

He said
"The media creates the ‘us’ and ‘them’ but for me there is no ‘us’ and ‘them,’ it’s ‘we’. “I feel very strongly that there is a regression in America toward separatism and racial and religious exclusion, so for me, it’s about putting my hand up and reminding my community, the Hollywood community, that we have to lead...Diversity is America’s superpower – that’s what makes it great, and in Hollywood we’ve got to be pushing that forward even in a time of wider regression....As my grandmother said, ‘Lead with love and light and only good will come out of it.’”

The thing as I said before I truly believe that the nominations should be about the film, the performance, the writing, direction etc and shouldn't ever be judged on age or colour or sex.

As I also said over the years there has also been a lack of female lead films nominated, lack of gay actors/actresses nominated, lack of older actors/actresses nominated?

I read an interesting article regarding his words and they questioned,
"...No black actors were nominated but did the Academy not simply choose who they deemed to be the best actors/performances/films? How did it become such a race issue? If it had been all black nominations would it have caused such controversy?... Would it have been deemed racist to white actors?
Was Will Smith saying the chosen people/films are not worthy of nominations?.."

On a side note I was just thinking about Alan Rickman and how sad that such an incredible actor that brought such joy and portrayed such wonderful characters throughout his career never won an Oscar, truly sad that he never even received an Oscar nomination for any of his captivating performances :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.