Oscars 2016 A Time Of Change Hopefully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scary Hair

Lost The Plot Ninja
Apr 27, 2012
Derbyshire ,England.
I think it would be wrong to ignore sweep under the carpet to not acknowledge that a situation has raised its head . Out of all the categories every film every director every actor actress as Spike Lee has put it
Lily White .

If the person deserves a nomination fair enough . Who decides ? . Who ticks the box to say yhea that performance is worthy of a prized slot .

This years cerimoney will prove what I have felt for years . It is a select few . Mates of mates looking out for oneanother . Same names year after year . It gets boring .

Is this a political statement what I am typeing NO .

Is it a take on what is happening in the real world YES .

Rights wrongs who wins who is nominated no one will ever get it right for everybody to be happy .

It should be about the movies alone not the frocks , gifts Hair Suits . About the people who pay to see the people on screen .

Most things being filmed today was written in a past time where Diversety and integration where unthought of .

Will Smith cast as Deadshot in the Suiside Squad will be the start hopefully where casting directors see an Actor that fits the role regardless of skin colour . Regardless of Gender .

I want to see a James Bond I belive is Bond. Ashley Walters is someone who in my view fits the bill .

I want to see Noel Clark as Batman .

I want to see Vanessa Hudgens as Spiderman / Woman .

In the world of film it brings chances for change . That can bring change in the real world . Morgan Freeman and Danny Glover as the President of The United States Of America set the seed for Obama's Two terms.

Roll on the day when it is the performance ALONE that is recognised .

Should people Boycott thats a personal choice for the indevidual to decide.

If they do then I can not fault them at all .

Love Scary .

Personally I think Spike Lee's outburst says more about his racism than others. I get annoyed that there's this constant assumption that because you're white, you're a racist, closet or otherwise. You may have given the best performance of your career, but if the film is mediocre at best you aren't going to be recognised at the Oscars.

The nominees and judges sometimes - especially in hindsight - get things wrong. In 1941 'How Green was my Valley' won best picture, against Citizen Kane and The Maltese Falcon. Forrest Gump, against Pulp Fiction or The Shawshank Redemption? Come to think of it, maybe they get it wrong more often than they get it right...

Thats my point @Gadget it is subjective as to who you are .

The list of ignored is endless Brad Pitt , Bruce Willis Twelve Monkeys . The Colour Purple , Liam Neeson ,Ralph Finnes and for gowds sake lost to Tommy Lee Jones The Fugative . Amistad Djimon Hounsou ,Matthew McConaughey Chiwetelu Ejiofor .

People see films and like them . I liked Forrest Gump more than Pulp Fiction . Performance wise Travolta , Jackson as good as Hanks .

If the performance deserves it fair enough even IF the film is run of the mill recognise the Actor .

This is why I gave up years ago . What Will Smith said has summed it up for me it's about the kids watching and seeing something in themselfs in the people being recognised .

Steve McQueen , Kathryne Bigalow was a step forward winning best Director .

When it becomes the normal state of play that Gender , Colour don't matter only the role played counts .

At least the Academy membership now is coming under scrutiny then maybe in the words of the GREAT Sam Cooke A Change Gonna Come it needs it .

Reactions: PunkNinja
I do get the point and think that the Oscars have been a joke since years, but it's not only about colour. Of course it got a lot better as it was a different time when Philadelphia was nominated in several categories and an obviously easy decision were made when Tom Hanks was called "leading actor" instead of Denzel Washington. McQueen was a very good start, so was Lupita Nyong'o. But the problem of the academy is that it's just not about the "best" movies.

For example: Okay, I know that David O. Russell's Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle and Joy are not BAD movies, but... are you serious? But, come on! They are NOT best pictures and DON'T deliver the best performances. Jennifer Lawrence is a good actress, but she definitely doesn't deserve all the oscar-fame. This is just a joke. On the other hand actors like Jake Gyllenhaal who deliver one unbelievable performance after another get totally ignored. Furthermore several films like Cloud Atlas which are independently financed get (because of that) ignored. I mean, not even a nomination for best make-up and effects is just ridiculous - no matter how I/you liked the movie itself.

See for me the best movie of 2015 was Southpaw . Forest Whitaker , Jake Gyllenhaal , Niomi Harris and Miguel Gomez all of them belivable just superb .

Thats what I mean about mates voteing for mates . Jennifer Lawrence to me has the old style glamour and grace that has been somewhat lost today .

It's like a refusal to recognise the fact the world we live in is no longer the world of Doris Day and Rock Hudson as a married couple sleeping in seprate beds .

Film awards are pointless matter anyway. Just gives Egos boost to people who don't need it.

It's always been a case of making a film with a view to the oscars really.

Hell I thought John Wick deserved something but nope.

This year I think the nominations are pretty much spot on TBF.

Will Smith, Jada and Spike Lee have had there Egos knocked by the academy a few times.

Elba reaction is Spot on question why more black actors are not getting "race neutral" roles, not go on a full on attack on the awards.

Question why there isn't more arts in schools esp low income areas.

Those are areas that need pressure on and for Spike Lees credit he is very vocal on that but the Smiths have not really been why because they have made it already (despite Jada being a pretty average actress).

I'm fed up on phases like lily white oscars and having actors like Smith use race tensions for there own gain.

Let's face it if Smith was nominated and was the only black person nominated for an Oscar in the last say 3 years would he have mentioned anything about the low number? Or would he say it's a real honor. Has Smith used his position to help anyone other than himself? (Excluding his son).

Will say again whilst Spike Lee hasn't been relevant for a while he is consistent in his views and how vocal he is.

(Also Cloud Atlas was crap I mean even Tom Hanks hadn't a clue about the film in interviews after).

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Scary Hair
To be honest, I liked Southpaw but I though it wasn't as good as Warrior, Rocky or Raging Bull. But doesn't matter... Gyllenhaal for example is giving outstanding performances for quite some time. Let's ignore Donnie Darko or Brokeback Mountain, but the last years? Southpaw, Nightcrawler, Prisoners, Enemy, End of Watch... great films or at least great performances - and I'm pretty sure Demolition is going to be ignored as well.

Obviously the oscars are (no longer? or were they ever?) only about good movies, but movies based on true stories or movies treating important subjects like homosexuality or racism. When I was younger i always thought the oscars were about the BEST movies, obviously that's (often) not the case. Maybe I'd think different about it if I would have always seen it as what it actually is.

However, it seems like they are trying to keep the awards among them "friends" - and that's definitely not what it should be about. But it doesn't actually matter as the world realized how the academy actually works, so... we want to see great performances, great stories, great films. No matter who performs, no matter who directs and no matter how many awards a movie gets.

Reactions: Scary Hair
I read the full speach of Idris Elba to the MP's . He summed it up bang on and too right .

Good point @pdbluray The schools too at our kids primary school they had Drama after school then that was the 1st thing they dropped the second was learning to play the Ukalaylie to fund the football team.

My two where gutted the 2things thay liked gone for what they saw as pointless at 8 and 6 years old .

John Wick was stand out like you said nothing so so wrong .

If anyone has a right to moan about being overlooked thats Depp .

Basically choose the actor for the role . Why should Bond be white ? Or Clark Kent , Tony Stark cast the best person end of .

The oscars is just a bit of popcorn isn't it , what's the issue with will smith anyway , best role he had was Ali , he's not a great actor and doubt he gets considered for challenging roles that need a bit of gravitas.

It should be about the film, the performance, the writing and shouldn't ever be judged on age or colour or sex.

If someone gave a good performance, if the film is quality and the writing and the director has made a great film then it deserves nominations and awards, so much work goes into these films, months if not years of people's time.

I think it is unfair that other actors are putting pressure on Chris Rock to not host the awards when it is a big deal for anyone to be asked to host the Oscars.

I read this thing online asking,
"..are people who are boycotting saying that the people who have been nominated don't deserve to be nominated? Are they saying these films are not worthy of awards?..."

Sadly over the years there has also been a lack of female lead films nominated, lack of gay actors/actresses nominated, lack of older actors/actresses nominated. The fact it took until Christopher Plummer was in his 80s to win an Oscar when the man has given his life to the arts is a real shame.

Then there are so many of my favourite actors, films and performances that I can't believe haven't won an Oscar such as Sir Ian McKellen, Johnny Depp, Cary Grant, Tom Cruise, Bill Murray, Gary Oldman, Harrsion Ford, the list is endless.

How incredible directors as Tim Burton and the genius that was Alfred Hitchcock never won an Oscar is staggering.

Last edited:
It's kind of the ultimate in Narcissim. This is a closed group and a closed party. They vote for their peers, and if there is anything stinky in the Academy- it does not reflect on the public at large- it only reflects on Hollywood.
The American public (and the world at large) had nothing to do with any of this. This all on the Hollywood community of Millionaire limousine actor/activists, and Hashtag Hypocrites.
Can you image your place of business throwing a Multi-million dollar party EVERY year to celebrate how awesome they are?
It really is Narcissist, inbred, and kind of pathetic. I haven't watched an Oscar program in 10 years, and I haven't missed anything.
...and any award should be based on "merit" and not a quota system. Spike Lee quoted MLK. But he must not understand MLK. MLK wanted a future based on CONTENT of character and not COLOR. By looking at everything through the prism of color, he becomes a defacto racist. And would he really be pleased by a "token" award for a minority every year (whether earned or not)? That is going backwards...

Last edited:
What do they want, Straight Out of Compton for Best Picture. LMFAO
Spike lee probably want's that dumpster fire of a movie Chiraq nominated.He did direct something for once.

As a black man, i don't understand this argument about Oscars so white garbage.The best performances are nominated. simple as that.There were not that many black movies this year.You have straight outta Compton , beast of no nation and Creed.sorry, there were not many choices.What do they want? a blacks only category?Because that's what it sounds like.And that sounds like special interest.It's like the game for change award at the VGA's.

Just like black lives matter, they want there black only stuff .They should realize Racism goes both ways.What if white people did White girls rock or Or white entertainment television(WET)?. The world would flip.You can't hold a group of people to a standard but not another.This is what happens when PC takes over.Only the minority is heard and are louder than the majority.

And Jada need to shut the hell up.When was the last time she was in a decent movie?Last time i checked she was back in TV and doing a horrible job at it.She just wants some shine.And will Smith saying he was coming and then changing his mind last minute.Negro please.hold this L.
200_s.gif

There is nothing wrong with the Oscars imo, other then Leo never getting his due when he has been at a high level for years now.

I can see the BET movie awards now.tyler Perry and Spike lee will win everything and then they will complain about that.

Spike lee probably want's that dumpster fire of a movie Chiraq nominated.He did direct something for once.

As a black man, i don't understand this argument about Oscars so white garbage.The best performances are nominated. simple as that.There were not that many black movies this year.You have straight outta Compton , beast of no nation and Creed.sorry, there were not many choices.What do they want? a blacks only category?Because that's what it sounds like.And that sounds like special interest.It's like the game for change award at the VGA's.

Just like black lives matter, they want there black only stuff .They should realize Racism goes both ways.What if white people did White girls rock or Or white entertainment television(WET)?. The world would flip.You can't hold a group of people to a standard but not another.This is what happens when PC takes over.Only the minority is heard and are louder than the majority.

And Jada need to shut the hell up.When was the last time she was in a decent movie?Last time i checked she was back in TV and doing a horrible job at it.She just wants some shine.And will Smith saying he was coming and then changing his mind last minute.Negro please.hold this L.
200_s.gif

There is nothing wrong with the Oscars imo, other then Leo never getting his due when he has been at a high level for years now.

I can see the BET movie awards now.tyler Perry and Spike lee will win everything and then they will complain about that.

Mate I didn't want to comment in here because i find it all bullsh*t and something new for someone to moan about but you have taken the worlds right out of my mouth (except the me being black because I'm white lol) .

Spot on

And what makes me laugh is will smith is pretty much hated nowadays and now people on here are sticking up for him. He's not that good of an actor anymore (but) he is trying to ge back into it I suppose (haven't seen concussion yet or focus). And Jada hasn't done anything decent in years.
I like spike lee (back in the day) but he don't have a clue anymore after the terrible oldboy remake and Samuel l Jackson put him in his place when he stared moaning about Tarantino after Django.

I seriously can't think of many films this year where a black actor shined. Granted I haven't seen the 3 you mentioned (and I will at some point) but like you said so many great actors get snubbed and I just want Leo to win this year. He f*cking deserves it after so many years so I couldn't care if the rest of nominations for best actor were all black men. Leo wins it for revenant I my mind even if he don't win.

Every year I get the ump that none of my favourite performances don't get recognised or win so it's no diffrence this year to me except finally an actor I want to win.
Hell gyllenhaal always gets snubbed and each year he puts some of the finest performances out there (minus prince of Persia and source code - although he was good in source code it's just the rest of the film stunk). If it wasn't for the revenant then nightcrawler would be my choice for actor and film.

Oh sh*t he's white, I better change my choice! Lol

Very quickly realised nightcrawler was 2014 (even though I thought it was 2015) haven't seen southpaw so I can't comment but it looks good

Southpaw is EXCELLENT .

Its the whole shebang the whole selection choice . Toy Story 3 should have BEST PICTURE and Finding Nemo ohh no wait its for kids a cartoon . No way can a cartoon lave you bereft and soreing higher than any cloud because it Is a cartoon.

If a performance desrves it fine not a problem at all with that .

The problem for me is who casts the characters . Whoever read Stacker Pentacost was English . Idris Elba the perfect fit .

Into Darkness Cbatch perfect as Khan .

IF you get chance read this it is quite long . Its a bench mark for me .

The Smith's and Spike lee for me are slight sour grapes .

Southpaw is EXCELLENT .

Its the whole shebang the whole selection choice . Toy Story 3 should have BEST PICTURE and Finding Nemo ohh no wait its for kids a cartoon . No way can a cartoon lave you bereft and soreing higher than any cloud because it Is a cartoon.

If a performance desrves it fine not a problem at all with that .

The problem for me is who casts the characters . Whoever read Stacker Pentacost was English . Idris Elba the perfect fit .

Into Darkness Cbatch perfect as Khan .

IF you get chance read this it is quite long . Its a bench mark for me .

The Smith's and Spike lee for me are slight sour grapes .

Pixar usually do get nominated though don't they? and I thought toy story 3 and nemo won those years. Guess I'm wrong.
What animations won those years?

They won best Animated . Not best picture @Flloydo .

I stand corrected Nemo was not up for Best Picture in 2003 .

Toy Story 3 was and lost to The Kings Speech

1991 Beauty and The Beast Lost to Silence Of The Lambs .

Toy Sory 3 deserved the win . It got the animated for me that year IT WAS TGE BIG WINNER.

Its the whole has to fit in a certain box to qualify .

Status
Not open for further replies.