Pacific Rim - In theaters July 12, 2013

ripclaw

BANNED
Feb 25, 2010
IMDB link here.
I thought that I'd kick off a thread about this upcoming movie, directed by Guillermo del Toro.

Official Story Synopsis
When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity’s resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes-a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi)-who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse.

Trailer:
[media=youtube]2vKz7WnU83E[/media]

An interesting article describing some of the battle scenes from GeekTyrant here.

Attachments

• pacific-rim-poster.jpg
    pacific-rim-poster.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 289
Last edited by a moderator:
I need to see more, but it's del Toro doing giant monsters vs. giant robots, so I'm quite confident that it's going to be amazing. I (unfortunately) have a feeling that this isn't going to be that huge of a box office success, though.

I need to see more, but it's del Toro doing giant monsters vs. giant robots, so I'm quite confident that it's going to be amazing. I (unfortunately) have a feeling that this isn't going to be that huge of a box office success, though.

I hope for everyone involved with the project the movie is a success, lol, according to various sources including wikipedia the movie has a 200 million budget. They need to make 400 million just to break even!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Rim_(film)

I heard that studio exec's were so impressed with what they have seen with the first film they already green lit the second movie without even a theatrical release.....

EDIT: the link i posted confirms that the studio green-lit a script be written for a second film, doh, should have read my own link!

Reactions: ocielz
I hope for everyone involved with the project the movie is a success, lol, according to various sources including wikipedia the movie has a 200 million budget. They need to make 400 million just to break even!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Rim_(film)

I heard that studio exec's were so impressed with what they have seen with the first film they already green lit the second movie without even a theatrical release.....

EDIT: the link i posted confirms that the studio green-lit a script be written for a second film, doh, should have read my own link!

I hope it's a success more for del Toro than the actual studios. That man's been overlooked for far too long. Still, films based around giant monsters don't really have a strong box office track record and unless you're Transformers, the same can be said about giant robot films (Real Steel and Sky Captain both underperformed).

I hope it's a success more for del Toro than the actual studios. That man's been overlooked for far too long. Still, films based around giant monsters don't really have a strong box office track record and unless you're Transformers, the same can be said about giant robot films (Real Steel and Sky Captain both underperformed).

True. Transformers over-performed IMO. Really love that Michael Bay and his ability to direct action but man am I sick of his need to have sappy love affairs built into every damn movie he makes.

I fully 100% agree Del Toro has been overlooked for a very long time. I know him and Ron Perlman attended a kids event at some hospital a few years back and Ron Perlman went through the complete 5-6 hour make-up process and all the things involved in making him look like Hellboy for the kids and after the event both confirmed that they would make HB3 happen without a doubt... just not sure when. So I think that project will happen for Del Toro as well.

I hope this Pacific Rim and HB3 work out for him. He's a talented director and I like his style.

I find it odd though that robot movies dont usually do that well in there theatrical releases since its at the theatre where there best watched IMO.

Gotta' say though talking about this right now when you put it in perspective that they will have to make 400 million just to break even it seems like a daunting task. I really hope they can do it. Not many movies make that kind of money.

Gotta' say though talking about this right now when you put it in perspective that they will have to make 400 million just to break even it seems like a daunting task. I really hope they can do it. Not many movies make that kind of money.

It's doable. I can pretty much guarantee that they won't come near $400-million at the domestic box office, but it's believable when you factor worldwide box office. I can see this pulling in huge numbers in Japan. Then there's the Blu-ray/DVD sales later on... $400-million will be made, but I'm not sure how much profit they'll make in the end.

It's doable. I can pretty much guarantee that they won't come near $400-million at the domestic box office, but it's believable when you factor worldwide box office. I can see this pulling in huge numbers in Japan. Then there's the Blu-ray/DVD sales later on... $400-million will be made, but I'm not sure how much profit they'll make in the end.

^^^ Thats what I meant a 400 million worldwide total. Studios earn 55% of total domestic ticket sales and 40% of ticket sales from rest of the world. Or at-least that's how it was explained to me some time ago. Roughly, whatever a studio spends on a movie in production budget it needs double that number in worldwide box office to break even is how I understood it.

Guillermo Del Toro, Giant Monster, Giant Mechs and Jax Teller from S.o.A!!!!! This will be EPIC:cool:

^^^ Yup, agreed. :D

Wonder why this couldn't be based on something already established in anime or comics - something with a detailed & rich backstory and characters....

downloading the trailer now, but this type of bockbuster gives me a "empty & bland beyond the CGI" type of vibe

I felt like this kid did when I saw this

Attachments

• EA8oH.jpg
    EA8oH.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 81
looks pretty cool. The basic premise reminds me of this Neo Geo game I used to play, King of the Monsters, I think it was called.

2013 is going to be a huge year for movies and Sci-Fi specifically.