Price: £29.99 - £19.99
Group Buy: Hosted by cooey HERE
Notes: Includes 4K UHD, 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray and Digital Download

04-166438.jpg

02-166438.jpg
04-364944.jpg

01-166438.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I think HMV are great personally and really do set fair prices along with Zoom, so we have at least one thing to agree on.

However, just because this package doesn't suit you, doesn't mean that's the same for a great many other collectors.

What is clear in my opinion, is that Zavvi try and drive prices up beyond affordability at every opportunity. And what is also clear, is that this particular steelbook package is a fantastic price. Just not one that you like.

HMV, Zoom, Amazon etc don't deliberately mislead on the amount of copies released. They don't mislead on how many remain in stock. Yet a certain other UK retailer can never do anything wrong in your eyes.

Perhaps a certain other UK retailer is smarting over losing out on selling this release? Perhaps.
It's got nothing to do what Zavvi or what other retailers prices are or any of what you mentioned in your post

I'm talking about the following
1) HMV prices only
2) Separate steelbook as in choice and it works as price is cheaper for both type of customers
3)3D/2D steelbooks sell more when it's separate as lot of consumers have no interest in 4K UHD
4) Some have said you won't get 4K/3D/2D steelbook for less than £30
HMV have had previous 4K/3D/2D steelbooks with price been £24.99

Ideally separate 3D/2D steelbook with price been £20 to £22 and 4K/2D Steelbook £20 to £24
4K will sell better with lower print run of a same steelbook as 3D/2D

It can be done have a reasonable price to do all in one package
4K/3D/2D £24.99 HMV price
Hmv have done this with all previous 4K/3D/2D steelbooks and only changed recently to £29.99 with Blade Runner 2049
Blade Runner 2049 Mondo steelbook was always going to sell out due to it's high demand and they new this

£24.99 is a lot better than having to pay £29.99

Pacific Rim Uprising 4K/3D/2D price should have been £24.99 like the other previous HMV 4K/3D/2D Steelbooks or be separate steelbooks at even cheaper prices
It's not a film that will sell like Blade Runner 2049 4K/3D/2D did at £29.99

Last edited:
It's got nothing to do what Zavvi or what other retailers prices are or any of what you mentioned in your post

I'm talking about the following
1) HMV prices only
2) Separate steelbook as in choice and it works as price is cheaper for both type of customers
3)3D/2D steelbooks sell more when it's separate as lot of consumers have no interest in 4K UHD
4) Some have said you won't get 4K/3D/2D steelbook for less than £30
HMV have had previous 4K/3D/2D steelbooks with price been £24.99

Ideally separate 3D/2D steelbook with price been £20 to £22 and 4K/2D Steelbook £20 to £24
4K will sell better with lower print run of a same steelbook as 3D/2D

It can be done have a reasonable price to do all in one package
4K/3D/2D £24.99 HMV price
Hmv have done this with all previous 4K/3D/2D steelbooks and only changed recently to £29.99 with Blade Runner 2049
Blade Runner 2049 Mondo steelbook was always going to sell out due to it's high demand and they new this

£24.99 is a lot better than having to pay £29.99

Pacific Rim Uprising 4K/3D/2D price should have been £24.99 like the other previous HMV 4K/3D/2D Steelbooks or be separate steelbooks at even cheaper prices
It's not a film that will sell like Blade Runner 2049 4K/3D/2D did at £29.99
I stand by everything I said, with the exception that HMV are equally as good as Zoom at their pricing.

I look forward to your equally scathing attack on Zavvi in their future overpriced 4K Steelbooks. Somehow I believe I may be waiting a fair while...

I stand by everything I said, with the exception that HMV are equally as good as Zoom at their pricing.

I look forward to your equally scathing attack on Zavvi in their future overpriced 4K Steelbooks. Somehow I believe I may be waiting a fair while...
It's got nothing to do with Zavvi prices or other retailers prices

I'm discussing HMV only not other retailers prices
Do you not understand this

Previous 4K/3D/2D steelbooks with HMV was £24.99 with the only exception Blade Runner 2049 Mondo Steelbook
All previous 4K/3D/2D steelbooks before Blade Runner 2049 was £24.99
The other HMV 4K/3D/2D steelbooks are still in stock only Blade Runner 2049 4K/3D/2D Mondo steelbook has sold out

HMV have repeated the Blade Runner 2049 Mondo price of £29.99 for Pacific Rim Uprising instead of having previous price of £24.99 that they had with the other 4K/3D/2D steelbooks

Pacific Rim Uprising will struggle to sell at £29.99 especially with HMV shipping only within the UK
If they had worldwide shipping they have more chance at selling more units at £29.99.
It's still a release IMO that should have been £24.99 been UK sales only

It's not same type of a release for sales as Blade Runner 2049 Mondo Steelbook was

Which price would you prefer

Last edited:
It's not a bargain to those that don't have 4K
It's an extra £10
Most new films steelbook a 3D/2D steelbook price would be £20 - £22 (Except Disney releases they are £24)
Pacific Rim 2D/3D/Bonus Disc (3 Discs) Steelbook new release purchased in 2013 cost £20

Those that want 4K it should be a separate steelbook and it would also mean it been cheaper than £30 as it would be 4K/2D Steelbook

A lot of 4K Tv's now also can't play 3D so there will be some customers with a 3D disc they also can't play even if they are 4K setup

A lot of customers who don't have 4K TV or 4K UHD player will not pay £30 when they previously usually only pay £20 - £22 for a 3D/2D steelbook

Majority of customers don't have 4K so why should they have to pay extra for a disc they won't be using
Retailer Sales will be affected as most don't have 4K the majority are 2D/3D Setup
You avoid this problem by doing separate steelbooks
Hence why I said there should(and are) bare bones versions or an all bells and whilstes option, depending what you want.
Just want 2D disc, get the ameray as it’s cheaper. Want the steelbook more premium packaging, you gotta pay for it am afraid. That’s just basic business where you get what you pay for.
Bundling discs into the latter probably helps keep the cost down and drive sales rather than not. Future proofing or just via basic psychology(a person is more enticed to pay 17 quid for a movie that has 3 formats and a slip cover included, even if they only ever use the one format, than to pay 15 for just the single format they’d use, minus the slip. More bang for your buck is swaying more often than not)
I know i’m happier to buy 4K/3D/2D combos for £30 than choose between 3D/2D at 25 or 4K/2D for 32, which appears to be the standard.

Few 3D/4K combo sets appear to be cheaper than just the 4K so far as blade runner, valerian and this are concerned, in the UK at least. 4K only sets are price around 25, so your essentially paying a fiver for the steel AND 3D disc, by comparison.

If you don’t want the discs, eBay them and offset the cost...or import the specific set you want, if you can’t be arsed to faff.

Simple.

We are talking about HMV 3D/2D Steelbook price compared to 4K/3D/2D price

HMV 3D/2D Steelbook prices most have been £19.99 to £22.99

Most 4K/2D and 3D/2D steelbooks have been separate steelbooks and it works better as it's cheaper for those that don't want 4K UHD and a lot are not interested in 4K as sales of 4K UHD have shown this

Most HMV steelbooks 4K/2D have been £19.99 to £24.99
Spiderman Homecoming and War of the planet of the Apes both of these was 4K/3D/2D price was £24.99

The previous Pacific Rim 3D/2D Steelbook in 2013 was £19.99 with most retailers

The only other HMV 4K/3D/2D steelbook that was £29.99 was Blade Runner 2049 Mondo Steelbook

Zavvi have not done 4K/3D/2D steelbooks they been separate steelbooks with some of these been split between HMV and Zavvi

It's still an extra £10.00 customers are paying than what they paid previously for 3D/2D Steelbook

4K UHD sales are tiny worldwide
Revenue from disc sales was down 14% to $4.7 billion dollars in 2017
4K UHD sales from this $4.7 Billion was only a meager $147 million dollars of revenue last year.

I like a lot of other customers don't want steelbook that was previously £20 be increased in price to £30 especially with a 4K UHD disc that can't be even used
£24.99 is a better price like other HMV 4K/3D/2D steelbooks

If Hmv had of done separate 3D/2D Steelbook the price would have been £19.99 to £22.99
A separate 4K/2D Steelbook price would have been £19.99 to £24.99 with HMV

Both set of customers would of had to pay less and you get more sales as a result
The 4K steelbook been leeser of the print run
Exact same steelbook both with 2 disc hubs to hold the discs
Don’t forget inflation.... 5 years later the 3D/2D steel for the OG movie would be 24.99 if released now, you could bet on it.

You also forget that back on 2012, 11.99 2D only steelbooks we’re common in HMV) Drive for example). Base price for a 2D steel nowadays is 19.99 (give or take a few quid either way.

Ain’t. Inflation fun?! Lol.

Point is, you will never get the prices we used to get.
My 2D/dvd/digital copy of Captain America was a tenner from HMV back in 2011(listed for 17.99 I believe but snagged a deal), but the 3 format Spidey from last year was About double that cost.

Sorry but you are going to have to like it or lump it,

I personally welcome any edition that does NOT exclude a format.

Last edited:
Hence why I said there should(and are) bare bones versions or an all bells and whilstes option, depending what you want.
Just want 2D disc, get the ameray as it’s cheaper. Want the steelbook more premium packaging, you gotta pay for it am afraid. That’s just basic business where you get what you pay for.
Bundling discs into the latter probably helps keep the cost down and drive sales rather than not. Future proofing or just via basic psychology(a person is more enticed to pay 17 quid for a movie that has 3 formats and a slip cover included, even if they only ever use the one format, than to pay 15 for just the single format they’d use, minus the slip. More bang for your buck is swaying more often than not)
I know i’m happier to buy 4K/3D/2D combos for £30 than choose between 3D/2D at 25 or 4K/2D for 32, which appears to be the standard.

Few 3D/4K combo sets appear to be cheaper than just the 4K so far as blade runner, valerian and this are concerned, in the UK at least. 4K only sets are price around 25, so your essentially paying a fiver for the steel AND 3D disc, by comparison.

If you don’t want the discs, eBay them and offset the cost...or import the specific set you want, if you can’t be arsed to faff.

Simple.
It's got nothing to do with inflation
New formats prices are meant to drop after a period of time not increase

Previous HMV 4K/3D/2D steelbooks the price has been £24.99
HMV have repeated the Blade Runner 2049 price of £29.99 for Pacific Rim Uprising instead of having the usual £24.99

Pacific Rim Uprising is not going to sell out at £29.99 or get decent amount of units purchased
It would sell better if price was same as previous £24.99
HMV only ship to UK address resulting in limited customer base to sell to
HMV not even sold out Spider-Man Homecoming or War of the Planet of the Apes 4K/3D/2D steelbooks at £24.99

Blade Runner 2049 Mondo Steelbook sold out due to it's demand price was not the factor in that release

Pacific Rim Uprising will not have the same demand of sales that Blade Runner 2049 steelbook had
Price should have been the same as the other HMV 4K/3D/2D steelbooks £24.99 not £29.99

• Thanks
Reactions: lgans316
It's got nothing to do with inflation
New formats prices are meant to drop after a period of time not increase