Premium Supporter
Apr 14, 2012
Earth
Release date: July 27, 2018
Purchase link: Amazon DE
Price: €24.99

31131602_10155688919353020_4658482942702518272_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the modern design, I'd really prefer something more in line with the outer box art, which is perfect. But - Capelight always does wonders with their releases, so I'll definitely trust them on this one as well :D

Capelight are great when it comes to listening to feedback, so it's a shame it backfired for them in regards to Runaway Train. There's always bound to be some who are unhappy with the chosen artwork anyway, so I guess they'll either just have to suck it up from now on or pass on that particular release if they dislike it that much. Personally, I love the look of this and can't wait to see it in hand! :D

I dislike this design too. Capelights ignorant behaviour here is a shame. Several fans write them very friendly mails about the wish of two different mediabooks. Two different Mediabooks, or three or four, are in Gernany completly normal and from a economical viewpoint very successfull.

You must see this in a bigger context. Okay, Runaway Train was no financial success for Capelight Pictures, but thay say nothing about Colors and Swiss Army Man. Pans Labyrinth is a wonderful movie that deserves differend Mediabooks with differend Artworks.

Look at Nameless Media with Evil Dead for example. They made four Mediabooks, one Digipack and a box with a bust. That was a huge financial success for them. So the wishes from some fans are legit.

The main points (translated) of this are:

- This cover is final. Next to a lot of support from fans, some critical (and partly even rude) voices have risen about the design but Capelight stand behind their choice of artwork. Also, referencing the two cover-release of Runaway Train, they had listened to the all too-loud voices who didn't like the first cover (Cover B) and they therefore released a second mediabook with the theatrical poster (Cover A) which resulted in a financial loss for them as only the other one did sell out.
- Capelight still supports the idea of only releasing one cover variant for most of its releases.
- The mediabook will use a matte finish with spot gloss. :thumbs:

They listen to the "all too-loud voices" on Colors too and I read nothing about a financial loss. So the two cover-release idea is the best they could do.
colors.jpg

On Swiss Army Man they made also two Mediabooks. Why not here? Pans Labyrinth deserve this tweo cover-release treatment.

A1WL8XWiJmL._SL1500_.jpg

A1IPLoji9bL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Greyback I'm sure they just used Runaway Train as an example since it was their biggest loss... both Colors and Swiss Army Man are still available to this day, so I wouldn't be surprised if they may have taken a loss on those also. You'll probably find that the unhappy few are the ones who speak loudest, whilst the happy folks sit quietly in the shadows... the situation with Runaway Train proves this. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more artwork choices with Pan's, but I respect their decision, and the current artwork looks great anyway IMO.

• Thanks
Reactions: SteelCollz
@Greyback I'm sure they just used Runaway Train as an example since it was their biggest loss... both Colors and Swiss Army Man are still available to this day, so I wouldn't be surprised if they may have taken a loss on those also. You'll probably find that the unhappy few are the ones who speak loudest, whilst the happy folks sit quietly in the shadows... the situation with Runaway Train proves this. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more artwork choices with Pan's, but I respect their decision, and the current artwork looks great anyway IMO.
Agreed. And Swiss Army Man was also to test out if and how well exclusivity would work (as Cover B was an Amazon exclusive). Plus, I think this will be a real stunner in hand with spot gloss used. :hungry:

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Agreed. And Swiss Army Man was also to test out if and how well exclusivity would work (as Cover B was an Amazon exclusive). Plus, I think this will be a real stunner in hand with spot gloss used. :hungry:
Yep, they obviously took a risk for the fans and unfortunately it backfired. At least they tried, which is more than can be said for many other distributors out there. As someone who's been in regular contact with a Capelight employee, I can say they genuinely care about their customers/fan base, so I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to make. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Pan's turns out! :)

• Thanks
Reactions: SteelCollz