Horror-TV Penny Dreadful (Cancelled) [Showtime]

kaw

Pop!/Movies/TV Mod
Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
IMG_9024.JPG

Penny Dreadful
Many people are familiar with classic literary characters like Dr. Frankenstein and Dorian Gray. "Penny Dreadful" brings those and other characters into a new light by exploring their origin stories in this psychological thriller that takes place in the dark corners of Victorian London. Sir Malcolm is an explorer who has lost his daughter to the city's creatures, and he will do whatever is needed to get her back and to right past wrongs. His accomplice, seductive clairvoyant Vanessa Ives, recruits charming American Ethan Chandler to help locate Sir Malcolm's daughter and slay some monsters. Oscar-winner Sam Mendes ("American Beauty") is one of the series' executive producers.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: HUBMUSWELL
Was very surprised that Vanessa had only about 3 minutes of screen time for the last two episodes.

I don't think this was done 100% right, some story lines seem to have been wrapped too quickly.

Reactions: Flash
Was very surprised that Vanessa had only about 3 minutes of screen time for the last two episodes.

I don't think this was done 100% right, some story lines seem to have been wrapped too quickly.

Agreed. It has so much potential and so many ideas but sadly felt rushed and too much gore for gore sake.

Finally got round to finishing this off(almost...about 4 episodes left) after watching the first season when it came out and then nothing since.

Think it may need a second viewing, and that’s not a bad thing.

One thing that bugs me - why did Brown/Lily’s eyes change colour from yellow/orange at the start of season 2, back to the natural brown of Billie Pipers less then an episode later?
Am I missing something there?

Also, in season 3, Ethan seems to be a bit out of character (unless I missed something that cause him to suddenly embrace the dark. Seemed a bit random considering he spent 2 seasons fighting dark forces.

Lastly, am expecting Vanessa to do at the end(assuming the writers knew it was getting cancelled and planned a proper ending)

finished it - have to say, i love it.

having an actual ending helped too.
May have to get the blu (I only own one TV show on blu - heroes) as am that impressed.
Have the comic sub too, but only just starting the second series of comics as it didnt run alongside the show like the first 6 books.