Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
Release date: June 17, 2014
Purchase links:
Amazon.com
Criterion.com
Price: 24,95$ / 31,96$

29_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

This sensual and striking chronicle of a disappearance and its aftermath put director Peter Weir on the map and helped usher in a new era of Australian cinema. Based on an acclaimed 1967 novel by Joan Lindsay, Picnic at Hanging Rock is set at the turn of the twentieth century and concerns a small group of students from an all- female college who vanish, along with a chaperone, while on a St. Valentine’s Day outing. Less a mystery than a journey into the mystic, as well as an inquiry into issues of class and sexual repression in Australian society, Weir’s gorgeous, disquieting film is a work of poetic horror whose secrets haunt viewers to this day.

Director-Approved Edition:
  • Remastered high-definition digital film transfer, supervised by director Peter Weir, with 5.1 surroundDTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Extended interview with Weir
  • New piece on the making of the film, featuring interviews from 2003 with executive producer Patricia Lovell, producers Hal McElroy and Jim McElroy, and cast members
  • New introduction by film scholar David Thomson, author of The New Biographical Dictionary of Film
  • A Recollection . . . Hanging Rock 1900 (1975), an on-set documentary hosted by Lovell and featuring interviews with Weir, actor Rachel Roberts, and source novel author Joan Lindsay
  • Homesdale (1971), an award-winning black comedy by Weir
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by author Megan Abbott and an excerpt from film scholar Marek Haltof’s 1996 book Peter Weir: When Cultures Collide (dual-format only); a new paperback edition of Lindsay’s novel, previously out of print in the U.S. (dual-format only)

New cover by Eric Skillman

Last edited by a moderator:
PHR_zps42a863e2.jpg

courtesy of beatnickslacker

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

A Clip from the Special Features.... :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Horhay and Lutzo
thanks for the heads up & link. it's about the only Weir i don't like, but it's my signif other's favourite. every 4 years they bring out a new damn edition! maybe i won't tell... then again, it is a Criterion release.

I still need to watch this one
it's a bit less accessible than Weir's later stuff (Witness, Master & Commander, Truman Show, etc). it's (purposefully) slow, opaque and refuses to explain things easily. i find some of it a bit twee and frustrating, but it does have a deliberately very odd atmosphere. hope you like it!

it's a bit less accessible than Weir's later stuff (Witness, Master & Commander, Truman Show, etc). it's (purposefully) slow, opaque and refuses to explain things easily. i find some of it a bit twee and frustrating, but it does have a deliberately very odd atmosphere. hope you like it!
Thanks @steelmybeatingheart! Would you say it's slow like 'Tree of Life' or just too tedious in not actually moving ahead? I tend to like atmospheric, sweeping, strange and open-ended films, and I'll def need to check this one out.

I think you either like the subtle, beautiful mystery or you find it too slow and boring. And when you see Weirs work, the idea of the movie with the humans nature is a red line that cross through this, Dead Poets Society and also Truman Show. It's a very dreamy, atmospheric mystery movie with a lot soft cinematography. For me it's an essential view but I can see why people dislike it.

I still need to get this Criterion release :bucktooth:

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Thanks @steelmybeatingheart! Would you say it's slow like 'Tree of Life' or just too tedious in not actually moving ahead? I tend to like atmospheric, sweeping, strange and open-ended films, and I'll def need to check this one out.
totally agree with @dan8885, it is very dreamlike. on my first few viewings (it's my partner's favourite) i did find it a bit 'so what', but i have come to if appreciate it more. Rotten Tomatoes gives it 94%! if you like 'atmospheric', 'strange' and 'open-ended', yes, i think you'll like this. and like @dan8885 says, it's a Criterion!

Reactions: dan8885
Q : those who have this, could you pls check if this really is region free. Rumor is that it is ... Thank you !

I've just checked in my Region B-only player and the blu ray is NOT region free. It will only play on my multi-region player set to A.

Reactions: Space Cadet