Ltd. Ed./Birthdays/Video Game Mod
Premium Supporter
May 18, 2013
AZ, U.S.A
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Pinocchio

Genre: Animation, Fantasy, Music

Director: Guillermo del Toro

Plot: A darker version of the classic children's fairy tale of a wooden puppet that transforms into a real living boy.

Guillermo del Toro Heads to Netflix for Stop-Motion Pinocchio

GDT!.jpg

Source: ComingSoon
Oscar-winning director Guillermo del Toro (The Shape of Water) is headed to Netflix to direct his first ever animated feature, Pinocchio. The streaming service announced today that del Toro will be working alongside The Jim Henson Company (The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance) and ShadowMachine (BoJack Horseman) to create the stop-motion feature, which the director calls a lifelong dream project of his.

No art form has influenced my life and my work more than animation and no single character in history has had as deep of a personal connection to me as Pinocchio,” said del Toro about the project. “In our story, Pinocchio is an innocent soul with an uncaring father who gets lost in a world he cannot comprehend. He embarks on an extraordinary journey that leaves him with a deep understanding of his father and the real world. I’ve wanted to make this movie for as long as I can remember. After the incredible experience we have had on Trollhunters, I am grateful that the talented team at Netflix is giving me the opportunity of a lifetime to introduce audiences everywhere to my version of this strange puppet-turned-real-boy.”

The project comes as an expansion between the deal that del Toro has in place with Dreamworks Animations, who helped him bring Trollhunters to life. The puppets will come courtesy of Mackinnon and Saunders, best known for Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride. del Toro will co-direct with The Fantastic Mr. Fox’s Mark Gustafson and co-produce with Lisa Henson, ShadowMachine’s Alex Bulkley, Corey Campodonico, and Gary Ungar of Exile Entertainment.

Production is expected to begin this fall.

Excited for this! Pinocchio was my favourite animated film as a kid.

The recent Italian, non-Disney, liveaction movie actually looks pretty decent tbf... kinda dark.

Reactions: Flloydo
Oh sweeeeeet so this is still happening! Can’t wait. Cool cast too. Hopefully it’s creepy

Excited for this! Pinocchio was my favourite animated film as a kid.

The recent Italian, non-Disney, liveaction movie actually looks pretty decent tbf... kinda dark.

Not seen the one you mean (or heard of it) but the story is very dark anyway. Like most the Disney animations they adapted from. Might have to check it out

Reactions: Noodles
Oh sweeeeeet so this is still happening! Can’t wait. Cool cast too. Hopefully it’s creepy

Not seen the one you mean (or heard of it) but the story is very dark anyway. Like most the Disney animations they adapted from. Might have to check it out

Last edited:
  • Haha
Hmmm I'm really not sure.
Some of it looks great. The humans etc, I love their style but I hate the look of Pinocchio. Yeah I know Disney have made me see Pinocchio a different way but that’s the style of him I prefer. Plus the Disney film with Hanks looks miles better

Last edited:
Hmmm I'm really not sure.
Some of it looks great. The humans etc, I love their style but I hate the look of Pinocchio. Yeah I know Disney have made me see Pinocchio a different way but that’s my style I of him I prefer. Plus the Disney film with Hanks looks miles better
Yeah, I'm not completely convinced at the moment either.

I forgot that there were TWO Pinocchio films releasing at the same time. This should be interesting.

Which do you guys think will be better? This one? Or Disney's Pinocchio?
Hard to say. Disney's live action remakes have been hit or miss for me, but Pinocchio is my favourite childhood film, so as long they capture the heart of the original, then I'm sure I'll love it! Del Toro's will undoubtedly be very different, which I'm open to, but at the same time I hope it still feels somewhat familiar.

How about you... which are you most looking forward to?

Hard to say. Disney's live action remakes have been hit or miss for me, but Pinocchio is my favourite childhood film, so as long they capture the heart of the original, then I'm sure I'll love it! Del Toro's will undoubtedly be very different, which I'm open to, but at the same time I hope it still feels somewhat familiar.

Right now i'm going to give the edge to Disney and Zemeckis because of it actually being LIVE ACTION and the big advantage... the music.
My only worry is that its going straight to Disney+... If it was amazing they would have put it in theaters first you'd think?

I am very curious about this one tho. Del Toro is amazing and I'm sure he'll make a great / weird film. haha
Can't wait to watch both and see.

When we get 2 similar movies that come out around the same time like this, I always thought it would be a neat idea if you gave 2 studios the exact same script.
They each get to make it. But have different directors. Different actors.
And then make them release the films both on the same day and see which one does better.

Always thought that would be a fun experiment to try. Just to see how each would turn out.

Reactions: Flloydo and Noodles
I forgot that there were TWO Pinocchio films releasing at the same time. This should be interesting.

Which do you guys think will be better? This one? Or Disney's Pinocchio?

Right now i'm going to give the edge to Disney and Zemeckis because of it actually being LIVE ACTION and the big advantage... the music.
My only worry is that its going straight to Disney+... If it was amazing they would have put it in theaters first you'd think?

I am very curious about this one tho. Del Toro is amazing and I'm sure he'll make a great / weird film. haha
Can't wait to watch both and see.

When we get 2 similar movies that come out around the same time like this, I always thought it would be a neat idea if you gave 2 studios the exact same script.
They each get to make it. But have different directors. Different actors.
And then make them release the films both on the same day and see which one does better.

Always thought that would be a fun experiment to try. Just to see how each would turn out.
Pretty much the same as you 2

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database