PlayStation 3 confirmed to support 3D Blu-ray discs

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
It was only a matter of time before 3D Blu-ray discs were officially finalized. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) today announced the finalization and release of the “Blu-ray 3D” specification, bringing Hollywood’s new 3D experience to people’s homes.

The “Blu-ray 3D” specification allows for full HD 1080p quality. Of course, you’ll need a compatible 3D television, which are still quite expensive. These new specifications are nice, but what is great for PlayStation 3 owners is that the specifications state the console will support 3D Blu-ray discs.

We recently spoke with John Koller, Sony Computer Entertainment America’s director of hardware marketing, who said 3D gaming is important to the PS3’s success in 2010. It looks like gaming is not the only form of entertainment getting the 3D makeover in 2010; in fact, we’ll probably see a lot of 3D movies coming next year.

If you’ve been to a 3D movie in a theater, you are probably as excited as we are to go see another 3D movie; but, we are a bit skeptical about the jump to home entertainment systems. Given the need for a new TV, do you think you’ll invest in the new technology, either for gaming or new Blu-ray movies?

If you’ve been to a 3D movie in a theater, you are probably as excited as we are to go see another 3D movie; but, we are a bit skeptical about the jump to home entertainment systems. Given the need for a new TV, do you think you’ll invest in the new technology, either for gaming or new Blu-ray movies?

*****cough****

i already did :rolleyes: lol

by the way, i will try out one of my blu ray 3D movies to see how it performs on the PS3

BD-J does not work when playing and no lossless audio either. It's a limitation that I guess you have to put up with if you want the 3D movie capability.