PS5 PlayStation 5 - Main Discussion Thread

bloodsnake007

Ltd. Ed./Birthdays/Video Game Mod
Premium Supporter
May 18, 2013
AZ, U.S.A
Released: November 12, 2020/November 19, 2020
Price: PS5 - $499.99/499.99 GBP (670 USD)/499.99 EUR (590 USD) | PS5D - $399.99/359.99 GBP (480 USD)/399.99 EUR (480 USD)

EaQsDMRX0AUksP_.jpg

5ee8cfc6191824168f10a07a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Noodles
PS5 Will Feature Backward Compatibility with PS4
Source: DualShockers
Almost out of nowhere, a next-generation PlayStation console was confirmed by Sony today via Wired. It’s set to be a powerful console with an AMD CPU based on the Ryzen line, so it’s exciting to think about what will be possible on the PS5. Fortunately, PS4 owners who would like to play their games on this new console won’t be left in the dust as the PS5 is poised to be backwards compatible with the PS4.

This feature was confirmed in Wired’s article revealing the console. The PS4’s lack of backwards compatibility, excluding PlayStation Now, was a sore spot for many gamers, especially those who traded in a PS3 for Sony’s latest console. It also helped encourage the birth of the “next-gen” or now “current-gen” remaster of games from the previous generation.

While details on how exactly backwards compatibility will work are still scarce, Wired’s article explicitly states that “because it’s based in part on the PS4’s architecture, it will also be backward-compatible with games for that console.” Considering that over 90 million people own a PS4 and its plethora of great games like Marvel’s Spider-Man and God of War, this is a very smart decision on Sony’s part that will likely encourage more people to pick up their next gen console.

PS5 Emphasizes SSD Advantages, Will Take Physical Media
Source: DualShockers
Mark Cerny was naturally coy about some of the key details of this next PlayStation, which he refused to label as “PlayStation 5,” electing to refer to it as “the next-gen console.” It isn’t a surprise that Sony plans for this console to have a more powerful CPU and GPU, with an AMD chip at the center of the console’s architecture.

"The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments."

wish it did backwards comp. for ps3 games too. Would love to get rid of my ps3 as well but instead I havent and its hooked up in the mancave section of basement granted i hardly ever play it but was hoping as my son ages I can put him on some of those games that arent too hard and are age appropriate that i have never gotten rid of.

Reactions: Agent Cooper
I really like this part of it

"That could mean the ability to install just a game's multiplayer campaign, leaving the single-player campaign for another time, or just installing the whole thing and then deleting the single-player campaign once you've finished it. "

There are so many games I would've kept playing the multiplayer but had to delete the whole game to make room for other games.

What worries me is how big will be the SSDs that will ship with the PS5? It has to be minimum 1TB. I upgraded my PS4's HDD to 2TB as soon as I bought it and now it's full with free games :rofl:

I really like this part of it

"That could mean the ability to install just a game's multiplayer campaign, leaving the single-player campaign for another time, or just installing the whole thing and then deleting the single-player campaign once you've finished it. "

There are so many games I would've kept playing the multiplayer but had to delete the whole game to make room for other games.

What worries me is how big will be the SSDs that will ship with the PS5? It has to be minimum 1TB. I upgraded my PS4's HDD to 2TB as soon as I bought it and now it's full with free games :rofl:
Yeah, definitely loving that feature! Lost count of how many times I've reinstalled Battlefront 2 just to play multiplayer. :LOL:

Agree about storage too... I'm forever having to delete stuff whenever I get a new game, which is pretty frustrating.

Reactions: AlienKing
I'm not very tech savvy, so most of this is another language to me, but thought some of you may be interested in it...

View attachment 450297
There almost the same. I've always preferred the PlayStation over XBOX because it looks more sleek and slim-lined compared to XBOX although I prefer the XBOX controller over the PlayStation controller any day of the week. I have the XBOX Elite One controller for my PC and love it. Two things I don't like about the XBOX is XBOX Live and the Blades interface OS, don't know if they still have that or not but I don't like it.

Reactions: vexred and Noodles
There almost the same. I've always preferred the PlayStation over XBOX because it looks more sleek and slim-lined compared to XBOX although I prefer the XBOX controller over the PlayStation controller any day of the week. I have the XBOX Elite One controller for my PC and love it. Two things I don't like about the XBOX is XBOX Live and the Blades interface OS, don't know if they still have that or not but I don't like it.
That's good to know then, not that it would make any difference to me anyway... I'd go with PS no matter what, as I always have. I've never owned an XB, and hadn't even touched an XB1 until a few weeks ago when my sister's boyfriend brought his over. I have to agree with you about the controllers... not that I don't like PlayStation's, but Xbox's feels that little bit better to hold/use.

Reactions: Lone Crusader
Definitely can't go wrong with an Elite controller, had one since release and have never used a standard controller since. Looking forward to the new one coming out in a few weeks time.
That's good to know then, not that it would make any difference to me anyway... I'd go with PS no matter what, as I always have. I've never owned an XB, and hadn't even touched an XB1 until a few weeks ago when my sister's boyfriend brought his over. I have to agree with you about the controllers... not that I don't like PlayStation's, but Xbox's feels that little bit better to hold/use.

Was really always the same for me but with the Xbox but eventually picked up the PS4 after many months of debating over it :rofl: and can honestly say I haven't regretted it. Have found the controller hard to get used to but found this great controller that has the same layout as the XB one.

Absolutely love this controller.

IMG_5240.JPG

I'm not very tech savvy, so most of this is another language to me, but thought some of you may be interested in it...

View attachment 450297
Argh, whatever happened to being different?

It's as if they both had a meeting and decided to create the same console.

Here's a bit more detailed version of that chart for those interested.

1570794297149.png

Definitely can't go wrong with an Elite controller, had one since release and have never used a standard controller since. Looking forward to the new one coming out in a few weeks time.

Was really always the same for me but with the Xbox but eventually picked up the PS4 after many months of debating over it :rofl: and can honestly say I haven't regretted it. Have found the controller hard to get used to but found this great controller that has the same layout as the XB one.

Absolutely love this controller.

View attachment 450359
Is that picture of the Nacon PS4 Controller Pro?

Is that picture of the Nacon PS4 Controller Pro?
It the Nacom Revolution unlimited controller mate :thumbs:

Reactions: Lone Crusader