PS5 PlayStation 5 - Main Discussion Thread

bloodsnake007

Ltd. Ed./Birthdays/Video Game Mod
Premium Supporter
May 18, 2013
AZ, U.S.A
Released: November 12, 2020/November 19, 2020
Price: PS5 - $499.99/499.99 GBP (670 USD)/499.99 EUR (590 USD) | PS5D - $399.99/359.99 GBP (480 USD)/399.99 EUR (480 USD)

EaQsDMRX0AUksP_.jpg

5ee8cfc6191824168f10a07a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Noodles
It definitely looks a hell of a lot bigger than what we’re used to. Just hoping the thing fits in my entertainment unit. :LOL:
If I had to take a guess, price will be 500 for base model, 475 or 450 for the disc less. I think any more than 500 & they risk out pricing a lot of potential buyers.
I’d say the Series X will be around the same, though I think Microsoft will try to undercut Sony so maybe 450 for the base model & 425 or 400 for the discless.

Reactions: Thoth and Noodles
I love the design of the console, and all I wanted from the reveal was GT7 and a Ratchet & Clank game near launch, so I’m very happy...Spiderman, Sackboy and Returnal all looked good...and Just knowing Horizon will be out early‘ish in the consoles life cycle is awesome.

It definitely looks a hell of a lot bigger than what we’re used to. Just hoping the thing fits in my entertainment unit. :LOL:
If I had to take a guess, price will be 500 for base model, 475 or 450 for the disc less. I think any more than 500 & they risk out pricing a lot of potential buyers.
I’d say the Series X will be around the same, though I think Microsoft will try to undercut Sony so maybe 450 for the base model & 425 or 400 for the discless.
Not that I'm going to pre-order it anyway, but 500 would be my absolute limit. Anything more than that is too much for a console IMO. I reckon the digital edition will have to be at least 100 less for folks to consider it over the base model though, because what's an extra 50 when it comes to something as important as a disc drive?

Not that I'm going to pre-order it anyway, but 500 would be my absolute limit. Anything more than that is too much for a console IMO. I reckon the digital edition will have to be at least 100 less for folks to consider it over the base model though, because what's an extra 50 when it comes to something as important as a disc drive?
lot of younger people just buy games from the ps store and dont bother with discs anymore.. loading times are better and no sounds from the disc drive... so i can imagine it wont be much of a difference... personally id prefer the design of the digital one as it looks much sleeker.. but as a collector i will go for the drive one of course

lot of younger people just buy games from the ps store and dont bother with discs anymore.. loading times are better and no sounds from the disc drive... so i can imagine it wont be much of a difference... personally id prefer the design of the digital one as it looks much sleeker.. but as a collector i will go for the drive one of course

This is what I'm thinking, I'm not sure price will be that different between the two models, its just about giving an option. I'm in IGN's Xbox group on Facebook & the majority there would be all digital & don't buy physical media at all so would be going disc-less. I'll probably go digital with the PS5 (it does look sleeker & I've never once put a disc into my PS4) & use the Series X as my media player.

This is what I'm thinking, I'm not sure price will be that different between the two models, its just about giving an option. I'm in IGN's Xbox group on Facebook & the majority there would be all digital & don't buy physical media at all so would be going disc-less. I'll probably go digital with the PS5 (it does look sleeker & I've never once put a disc into my PS4) & use the Series X as my media player.
Makes sense with PC (I don't have an optical drive) but I'm surprised people want to go digital only on console. Prices are too expensive compared to physical and Steam, unless they only buy in sales the price difference will probably be lost after around 5 games.

I mostly buy collectors editions so I need to stick with physical unless they start including a download code like on PC. Plus you run into problems of games becoming unavailable on PSN/Xbox Live, this can also be a problem PC but at least with conventional consoles you can usually get a cheap copy at CEX.

So sick of these square boxes...xbox one...a square, xbox 360 square, xbox one a square, xbox one X another square, cmon already

also I kinda want the playstation 5 if it has a 4k player, and because I can finally play some exclusive games

Loading time is exactly the same btw, the data that gets downloaded for a digital copy is identical to what gets installed off of the disc.
However some games Digital version runs better on an external HD if they have a higher rpm or ssd which is even better.

I am gonna go for the one with the disc drive when the prices drop, and am hoping it will be able to play 3D discs as well.

Reactions: hatredhorror
Fair points. Aren't digital games always more expensive though? I rarely even visit the PS store because it's a rip-off... why should something digital cost more than something physical? You don't have the cost of materials to pay for a start, so it makes no sense to me. But yeah, I'd hate to be locked in to only buying expensive digital games... much better to be able to shop around for the cheapest option when it comes to physical media.

I also prefer the slimmer look of the digital only model, but if I were to buy one, then I'd want it to watch 4K movies on as well as gaming, so that would take priority over looks for me. That being said, I don't game much at all nowadays, so I'm in no rush to get one... may even wait for the PS5 Slim.

Fair points. Aren't digital games always more expensive though? I rarely even visit the PS store because it's a rip-off... why should something digital cost more than something physical? You don't have the cost of materials to pay for a start, so it makes no sense to me.

This is one of the things I dislike about PlayStation, they region lock digital codes for games on their platform.
A new Xbox game costs €69.99. I buy a digital code from Amazon U.S. for $59.99 which saves me about €17. If only PlayStation allowed for this.
Digital tends to be around the same price as physical but you're more limited digital whereas you can shop around for a bargain or whatever for a physical copy.

So sick of these square boxes...xbox one...a square, xbox 360 square, xbox one a square, xbox one X another square, cmon already

also I kinda want the playstation 5 if it has a 4k player, and because I can finally play some exclusive games

I'm curious, what else would you do instead of a square box? They're designed to fit in entertainment units. The PS5 is also a square box, just with a slight curve like the Xbox 360 had.
And yes, both PS5 & Series X will have a 4K disc drive.

This is one of the things I dislike about PlayStation, they region lock digital codes for games on their platform.
A new Xbox game costs €69.99. I buy a digital code from Amazon U.S. for $59.99 which saves me about €17. If only PlayStation allowed for this.
Digital tends to be around the same price as physical but you're more limited digital whereas you can shop around for a bargain or whatever for a physical copy.

I'm curious, what else would you do instead of a square box? They're designed to fit in entertainment units. The PS5 is also a square box, just with a slight curve like the Xbox 360 had.
And yes, both PS5 & Series X will have a 4K disc drive.

circular, triangle everything besides what 4 or 5 gens of square boxesI have seen fan made concept that could have been made but due to keeping costs low they just put it in a square box and call it a day.

Reactions: Jace88
circular, triangle everything besides what 4 or 5 gens of square boxesI have seen fan made concept that could have been made but due to keeping costs low they just put it in a square box and call it a day.

Well...yeah. They do want to keep costs low. If they increased production cost of the housing to make it a different shape, this would then trickle on to consumers who would have to pay more for the console. The point is to keep the cost as low as possible so consumers can be charged the lowest possible price to increase install base.
Sure, it would have been interesting to have a circular console & I have seen some of those custom designs, but they're all just shells, there's no thought given to the internal components which just fit better in square housing. If you made it circular a square disc drive, square solid state drive & a square fan unit would have to fit on top of each other in the machine.
Form factor plays a big part into why 99% of consoles are square.

VR will still work. Don't Worry, Sony Just Reconfirmed PSVR 'Is Compatible With PS5'

i never got a ps4 pro (no UHD blu-ray support), but hopefully the new console is backward compatible with discs and store downloads so i can ditch my ps4 and free-up a port on the receiver.
I heard "we tested 100 of the top games and they worked" in regards to backwards compatibility. fyi. Assume that means discs, and that all digital would port over.

I want disc version as I think ill use this for UHD Blu-ray watching as my current UHD player could use an upgrade. Maybe this would be it...

And i have a feeling this will be last disc version console. ps5, and perhaps maybe even this launch unit is last disc version model even for ps5 unless there is a themed one within 1 year of release to tie in with a game launch. Gimme a miles morales ps5 plz :)

• Wow
Reactions: hatredhorror
And i have a feeling this will be last disc version console. ps5, and perhaps maybe even this launch unit is last disc version model even for ps5 unless there is a themed one within 1 year of release to tie in with a game launch. Gimme a miles morales ps5 plz :)
perhaps. they might produce a refreshed smaller, quieter ps5 that is more souped up in 2-3 years. i'd be surprised if they drop the optical drive entirely then. however, it was like 2 years before i realized my ps4 couldn't read redbook audio CDs so who knows.

i read that the miles morales game is gonna be a standalone title, but hopefully there's more to do than the three "The City That Never Sleeps" DLC for the original. Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a standalone PS5 game, clarifies Sony