PS5 PlayStation 5 - Main Discussion Thread

bloodsnake007

Ltd. Ed./Birthdays/Video Game Mod
Premium Supporter
May 18, 2013
AZ, U.S.A
Released: November 12, 2020/November 19, 2020
Price: PS5 - $499.99/499.99 GBP (670 USD)/499.99 EUR (590 USD) | PS5D - $399.99/359.99 GBP (480 USD)/399.99 EUR (480 USD)

EaQsDMRX0AUksP_.jpg

5ee8cfc6191824168f10a07a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Noodles
Well...yeah. They do want to keep costs low. If they increased production cost of the housing to make it a different shape, this would then trickle on to consumers who would have to pay more for the console. The point is to keep the cost as low as possible so consumers can be charged the lowest possible price to increase install base.
Sure, it would have been interesting to have a circular console & I have seen some of those custom designs, but they're all just shells, there's no thought given to the internal components which just fit better in square housing. If you made it circular a square disc drive, square solid state drive & a square fan unit would have to fit on top of each other in the machine.
Form factor plays a big part into why 99% of consoles are square.

Redesign it all, no on is putting effort into recreating the computer chip, the hard drives the fans etc it's still the same stuff all squares in phones,computers, consoles etc

Someone needs to redesign the entire computer chip it can be done but companies won't bother because it costs too much.

We need another elon musk , a man who thinks outside the square box.....a man like me!

And i have a feeling this will be last disc version console. ps5, and perhaps maybe even this launch unit is last disc version model even for ps5 unless there is a themed one within 1 year of release to tie in with a game launch. Gimme a miles morales ps5 plz :)
not enough money in the collectors edition business? or will they continue without physical discs? that would be it for me then... not into toys or statues.. just steelbooks and full slips :/

I actually really like the design. I like that it’s Completely different design to previous PS systems, looks kinda futuristic and went with a different colour scheme. It’s refreshing. Maybe they will do different Coloured variations over the years. Would be cool.

It does kinda remind me of the tower from lord of the rings but at least it’s not as boring as the new Xbox. That looks horrendous lol

only games that interest me for now are horizon forbidden west, spiderman miles morales and little devil inside.

I never buy the consoles when they first come out anyway, I usually wait a year sometimes a bit longer and although I prefer the look of the digital version because it’s slightly slimmer and more symmetrical I’ll end up getting the one with the disc drive. I just prefer physical media Plus this will have backward capabilities

The option to have 2 consoles with and without disc is good but I feel like I am going to go for a disc version anyway.
I'm mostly buying digital games nowadays when they are on sale just for the ease of not having to swap disc all the time when I want to play something else. Tho' I would still like to have the option of a disc drive.

Plus, if something happens and the world goes to bits I'd still want to play my console with disc games if internet is wiped away haha

More on the PS5 DualSense Controller:

Marvel Spider Man: Miles Morales

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, as one of the flagship PlayStation 5 launch titles, will take full advantage of the DualSense controller to convey the lead character’s spider-sense. Writing on the PlayStation Blog, creative director Brian Horton revealed: “We’ll be hinting to players which direction attacks are coming from by providing haptic feedback from the appropriate direction.”

The enhanced rumble functionality will also be utilised in the exclusive to demonstrate the power of some attacks. “For instance, as you hold down Square to do a Venom Punch, you feel Spider-Man’s bio-electricity crackle across from the left side of the controller, culminating in the right side on impact,” added Horton. We can’t wait to try this out for ourselves.

Deathloop

Want to pull the trigger while your gun’s jammed in Deathloop? You physically won’t be able to until the animation’s played out, as developer Arkane plans to use the next-gen console’s controller to its full extent. Speaking on the PlayStation Blog, game director Dinga Bakaba explained how the French outfit is using Sony’s new pad to up the immersion in its upcoming first-person shooter.

“Deathloop being a first-person shooter, we do a lot of things to make weapons feel differently from one another,” he teased. “One I like is blocking the triggers when your weapon jams, to give to the player an immediate feedback even before the animation plays out, which prompts the player in a physical way that they have to unjam their gun.”

We hope there’ll be no broken controllers as players desperately wrestle with their device, but this sounds like a genuinely awesome way of invoking additional feedback during gameplay. As we’ve been saying for a while now, we can’t wait to test these features out for ourselves, but coronavirus means that we’re probably going to have to wait.

I like that developers taking full advantage of the controller's potential.

Reactions: Noodles