Playstation Cloud...What is it???

mobius387

beer snob
Premium Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Well, this rumor ought to turn some heads. Personally, it sounds just a touch creepy but I imagine the gadget-loving, "I don't care if constant communication translates to a lesser quality of communication" crowd will love it.

So here's the deal: evidently, Sony has patented the name "PlayStation Cloud," and although nobody knows exactly what it is, European site PS3Hype may have stumbled across some early information. We could break it down for you, but it's probably best if you just read it straight from the supposed source and make your own decision as to whether or not it's bogus:

"Someone from SCEA consumer services told me something interesting. I recently called Sony's consumer services to complain to them about the lack of features, hoping they would forward it to the right people. The guy I talked to was like he had no idea if they are getting those features however he said that he has an orientation sometime next week for a new service with new features called PlayStation Cloud, he said that all he knows about it is what his manager had told him and that was that it will be something similar to FaceBook where you'll have a News Feed thing that will say all the things you've done or friends have done on PlayStation Network like your friend just played this and unlocked this trophy, changed his avatar or reached this level. He also said that there might be a lot of more public features because his manager told him that SCEA Corporate told his manager that they are looking for people within consumer services to become moderators for some of the features that will be in PlayStation Cloud. He said his manager doesn't know much about it, just that Sony wants to make PlayStation Network become more social."

Like I said earlier, I'm not sure I want people knowing exactly what I'm doing at all times (even if they are friends and it's just game-related). On the other hand, it seems the generation just after mine seems enamored with such services, and it's probably a good idea. It may be considered an off-shoot of PlayStation Home or something, and there's no doubt it would bring gamers closer in a virtual sense. Hopefully, Sony will clear the air soon... (is that a pun or not?)

source: psxextreme.com/ps3-news/5340.html

Thank you, can I except the award for the "Imbesel of the Year"? Then I can give props to all you guys for making this possible...heh

I will say I felt like I dropped into a pit of darkness when I transfered from the Dark Side (360) to the ps3 with the lack of "communication" abilites that the ps3 had avail. This would be a nice perk for me to rub in the face of all my friends who said I was stupid for not buying...another...xbox....sigh

Dude you aren't missing anything. I hardly use my 8th xbox because I am afraid lol.

Could this be what Sony is referring to a new XMB coming early next year?

Thank you, can I except the award for the "Imbesel of the Year"? Then I can give props to all you guys for making this possible...heh

I will say I felt like I dropped into a pit of darkness when I transfered from the Dark Side (360) to the ps3 with the lack of "communication" abilites that the ps3 had avail. This would be a nice perk for me to rub in the face of all my friends who said I was stupid for not buying...another...xbox....sigh

no offense is meant to the gamers themselves, but to all the gaming sites who have no clue what they're talking about. its laughable.

i wouldn't expect your average gamer to know what cloud computing is, but as a journalist, you'd think gaming sites would do some research before talking about something

no offense is meant to the gamers themselves, but to all the gaming sites who have no clue what they're talking about. its laughable.

i wouldn't expect your average gamer to know what cloud computing is, but as a journalist, you'd think gaming sites would do some research before talking about something

dude i'm pulling your leg, I know i'm 100,000 brain cells under the normal human, I joined the military, you have to be bored line retarded to believe what they spew out....

ahhhhh, you assume much young grasshopper :p

one thing ive learned is never underestimate the stupidity and unprofessionalism of online 'journalists.'