Playstation Cloud...What is it???

mobius387

beer snob
Premium Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Well, this rumor ought to turn some heads. Personally, it sounds just a touch creepy but I imagine the gadget-loving, "I don't care if constant communication translates to a lesser quality of communication" crowd will love it.

So here's the deal: evidently, Sony has patented the name "PlayStation Cloud," and although nobody knows exactly what it is, European site PS3Hype may have stumbled across some early information. We could break it down for you, but it's probably best if you just read it straight from the supposed source and make your own decision as to whether or not it's bogus:

"Someone from SCEA consumer services told me something interesting. I recently called Sony's consumer services to complain to them about the lack of features, hoping they would forward it to the right people. The guy I talked to was like he had no idea if they are getting those features however he said that he has an orientation sometime next week for a new service with new features called PlayStation Cloud, he said that all he knows about it is what his manager had told him and that was that it will be something similar to FaceBook where you'll have a News Feed thing that will say all the things you've done or friends have done on PlayStation Network like your friend just played this and unlocked this trophy, changed his avatar or reached this level. He also said that there might be a lot of more public features because his manager told him that SCEA Corporate told his manager that they are looking for people within consumer services to become moderators for some of the features that will be in PlayStation Cloud. He said his manager doesn't know much about it, just that Sony wants to make PlayStation Network become more social."

Like I said earlier, I'm not sure I want people knowing exactly what I'm doing at all times (even if they are friends and it's just game-related). On the other hand, it seems the generation just after mine seems enamored with such services, and it's probably a good idea. It may be considered an off-shoot of PlayStation Home or something, and there's no doubt it would bring gamers closer in a virtual sense. Hopefully, Sony will clear the air soon... (is that a pun or not?)

source: psxextreme.com/ps3-news/5340.html

A cloud application leverages the Cloud in software architecture, often eliminating the need to install and run the application on the customer's own computer, thus alleviating the burden of software maintenance, ongoing operation, and support.

For example:
Peer-to-peer / volunteer computing (Bittorrent, BOINC Projects, Skype)
Web application (Facebook)
Software as a service (Google Apps, SAP and Salesforce)
Software plus services (Microsoft Online Services)

--------------------

Cloud storage involves the delivery of data storage as a service, including database-like services, often billed on a utility computing basis, e.g., per gigabyte per month.

For example:
Database (Amazon SimpleDB, Google App Engine's BigTable datastore)
Network attached storage (MobileMe iDisk, Nirvanix CloudNAS)
Synchronization (Live Mesh Live Desktop component, MobileMe push functions)
Web service (Amazon Simple Storage Service, Nirvanix SDN)
Backup (Backup Direct, Iron Mountain Inc services)
Cloud storage can be delivered as a service to cloud computing, or can be delivered to end points directly. The SNIA is creating standards for Cloud Storage.

-------------------

apple-mobile-me.jpg
________
SIDE EFFECTS FROM DEPAKOTE

Last edited:
xtop posted a link in the CPU & Tech thread that showed someone using cloud technology to stream GTA IV through a web browser.

can you imagine if sony has some sort of status video stream that shows everyone what game you are playing in a live feed?!?! you could watch a friend play a game. that would be awesome!

xtop posted a link in the CPU & Tech thread that showed someone using cloud technology to stream GTA IV through a web browser.

can you imagine if sony has some sort of status video stream that shows everyone what game you are playing in a live feed?!?! you could watch a friend play a game. that would be awesome!

there was talk of Sony buying sirius satellite radio... I suppose the cloud could be used to do the same sort of thing. To stream the radio content into your car in burnout, GTA, or anything else.
________
Homemade vaporizer

Last edited:
Busted

Internet message boards -- including IGN's -- are buzzing about the possible reality of PlayStation Cloud, a PlayStation Network portal that collects your saves, stats, and trophies for the world to see. Usually, these rumors come and go without much happening, but this poster -- originally on a Game Trailers message board -- included a photo with his leak.

According to the post, PlayStation Cloud would be launched sometime this summer and allow you to access save data from any PS3, take in-game screenshots, and upload video to YouTube.

Sony -- via Social Media Manager Jeff Rubenstein, whose PSN ID appears in the image -- says that info is bogus.

"This 'mockup' is pure conjecture," Rubenstein said. "This is 100 percent fake."

source: ps3.ign.com/articles/996/996837p1.html

a user on bluray.com made that rumor up. its completely false

Lol, yep. Why would they want to buy Sirius when Sirius can't even get the XM merger right.. lol..

This whole rumor is false at least that's what Jeff Rubenstein says (about the cloud thing). Though it could be a classic Playstation denial.

A small paragraph of information on PS 'Cloud' in July 09 issue of PSW page 73! Sorry about the crappy quality, the article reads: You've always been able to create and share levels in PSN puzzler Echochrome, but an update will let you do this via 'Cloud'. This system removes the need for Sony to check levels before being uploaded - an early problem for LittleBigPlanet. The new update will also allow for Playstation Eye support. You will be able to film yourself solving the game's complex puzzles and then upload your performance to Youtube. Trash Panic also enables you to upload footage. Does this mean we can expect to see user-created content via Playstation Cloud in future games?
Cloud.jpg

source: s439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/Glyn_Dwr/?action=view&current=Cloud.jpg

Ever since the trademark filing of PS Cloud, speculation has been buzzing. The trademark covers “entertainment services, namely, providing an on-line video game that users may access through the internet”

We have found more evidence of PlayStation Cloud being accessible “through the internet”…

While doing some research, I performed a who is lookup of the domain playstationcloud.com. The results of my query showed that SCEA San Diego Studios is the owner of the domain.

playstationcloud.jpg

SCEA San Diego recently mentioned while speaking to Gamasutra that they would be “exclusively” working on PSN game development. This goes against all speculation so far pegging PlayStation Cloud as a social networking service. Of course Sony San Diego could very well be developing a service or application, for the PSN with PlayStation Cloud.

Whatever PS Cloud is, it seems as though it’s going to be coming from Sony’s San Diego Studio.

the gaming communities complete lack of knowledge certainly shines when trying to figure out what cloud computing is :hilarious:

the gaming communities complete lack of knowledge certainly shines when trying to figure out what cloud computing is :hilarious:

Thank you, can I except the award for the "Imbesel of the Year"? Then I can give props to all you guys for making this possible...heh

I will say I felt like I dropped into a pit of darkness when I transfered from the Dark Side (360) to the ps3 with the lack of "communication" abilites that the ps3 had avail. This would be a nice perk for me to rub in the face of all my friends who said I was stupid for not buying...another...xbox....sigh