Portable Xbox Gaming a Matter of "When"

Apr 2, 2009
In a surprising conclusion to a new Kikizo interview posted today with Microsoft Corporate VP Shane Kim, the Xbox bigwig revealed that a potential foray for the Xbox brand into the handheld/mobile/portable space is certainly on the cards.

"For us, it's a matter of focusing on 'when', because if we chased after a mobile or handheld opportunity, we would not have the resources and ability to do things like... Project Natal. So we've chosen to focus on the living room experience from a hardware standpoint, if you will, but we're building a service in Live that will... will extend to other platforms. No question about it."

Referencing the eyebrow-raising state of the current mobile games market and the performance of AppStore, PSP and DS, Kikizo asked: "obviously you'll be watching this space, but do you think there's room further down the line for it to fit with the Xbox brand?"

Kim's candid response: "Well, I do, and especially with respect to Live. We talked about Live Anywhere a few years ago. Live is the connective tissue. You're starting to see that now - we integrate Netflix, we integrate Facebook, we integrate Twitter - because we understand that customers don't want an island experience, they want to be connected to the rest of their lives."

He added: "So the question will be, how do we enter into that market - do we do our own device, do we create our own phone - that's a question for the company itself - do we continue to go down the Windows Mobile path which is that path that we're on today, etcetera, etcetera.

"But believe me, we understand the importance of that device in people's lives."

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200907/portable-xbox-a-matter-of-when.asp

fan mockups..

Last edited:
I don't think anything can really hang with the DS. I do give props to the psp for doing pretty well considering the lack of quality games it has. although E3 this yeard had tons of cool new games coming for the psp. I just don't see microsoft taking much of the handheld market share. maybe next generation or something.

I don't think anything can really hang with the DS. I do give props to the psp for doing pretty well considering the lack of quality games it has. although E3 this yeard had tons of cool new games coming for the psp. I just don't see microsoft taking much of the handheld market share. maybe next generation or something.

I think it can compete with the PSP for #2, but even with the xbox loyalist, I doubt it will be a serious contender to the DS.

could this really compete with the ds? we've seen that even better graphics arent enough to put the ds out of commission.

License%20to%20Print%20Money.gif

nothing will ever compete with a nintendo handheld i mean nothing.