Predator (1987) (Discless SteelBook) (FilmArena Collection #158) [Czech Republic]

luke98

Premium Supporter
Jun 30, 2014
Alexandria Safe-Zone
Release date: January 12, 2022 (E1 - E5) - January 19 (E2) - January 26 (E3) - February 2 (E4)
Purchase links: Edition 1 - Edition 2 - Edition 3 - Edition 4 - Edition 5
Price: 1799 CZK (E1) - 1899 CZK (E2 - E3) - 7499 CZK (E4) - 1199 CZK (E5)
Group buy: hosted by carllenc Edition 1 - Edition 2 - Edition 3 - Edition 4
Notes: This release will be discless per FA communication, quoted here.

A1D616BE-B74D-40F5-B237-63B4CF3AEC8A.jpeg6BF4D113-FAC3-4DAA-805C-AEA3AFAF72B7.jpeg0E6C988E-2AEC-480E-AC8F-A41D0E7F64BC.jpeg9429BB34-62D6-4E29-BE8C-1330C4148970.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, the Fox properties are going to be verrrrry low on the totem pole. The recent 4K releases of movies like SPEED and HEAT had already been done before Disney aquired Fox. I hope I am proven wrong on this - since there are many films in the Fox stable that need attention (DIE HARD has never been given a proper remaster).
Wha? The Die Hard 4K disc was definitely a "proper" remaster. I mean it wasn't an AMAZING transfer, but the source material isn't exactly made of showy stuff. It was certainly better than the older Blu-ray master anyway, and I doubt we'll get another.

Wha? The Die Hard 4K disc was definitely a "proper" remaster. I mean it wasn't an AMAZING transfer, but the source material isn't exactly made of showy stuff. It was certainly better than the older Blu-ray master anyway, and I doubt we'll get another.
I felt like it was a serviceable job. But you're right, there will probably not be another (at least until another anniversary).
But, with all the properties that Disney has, I don't think Fox titles have any hope of attention.
the best to hope for is that boutique companies like Arrow, Eureka, etc. will license titles to do remasters and new transfers.
again, I hope I'm dead wrong on this.

I felt like it was a serviceable job. But you're right, there will probably not be another (at least until another anniversary).
But, with all the properties that Disney has, I don't think Fox titles have any hope of attention.
the best to hope for is that boutique companies like Arrow, Eureka, etc. will license titles to do remasters and new transfers.
again, I hope I'm dead wrong on this.
You're right there, i feel like after these wave of releases (that were evidently worked on pre merger) have finished dribbling out, catalogue fox releases will be very few and far between. We'll probably get stuff like Aliens, Avatar, Titanic etc..., but I'd be surprised if we get anything much lower end unfortunately.

Reactions: C.C. 95
You're right there, i feel like after these wave of releases (that were evidently worked on pre merger) have finished dribbling out, catalogue fox releases will be very few and far between. We'll probably get stuff like Aliens, Avatar, Titanic etc..., but I'd be surprised if we get anything much lower end unfortunately.
Like a broken record:
"Where is THE ABYSS and TRUE LIES?!!!"

Don't get me wrong, I like the film, but True Lies isn't all that. It's just your fairly basic, well executed, non R rated, 90s action flick. It's on par with something like (an earlier) Mission Impossible 3. I feel people have only been crying about it on forums for as long as they have, purely because it hasn't had a blu-ray release. If it had, it'd barely get mentioned.

The Abyss on the other hand is a different beast entirely. While flawed, particularly the theatrical, it was ahead of it's time and explores many interesting concepts. Same could be said for many late 80s/90s sci-fi flicks though. It has unfortunately become mostly forgotten by all but those of a certain age, again quite likely purely down to the lack of any rereleases.

Subjectively of course, but Avatar is easily a better film than both, and much more deserving of a 4K release. If for no other reason than how absolutely jaw dropping it will look. I'm more than happy with the idea of a single Avatar sequel, filming 3 at once and expecting them to all be worthwhile hits is a little nieve in my opinion though. I still feel he's missed the boat a bit as well, should've released one a good 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Masta Norris
Don't get me wrong, I like the film, but True Lies isn't all that. It's just your fairly basic, well executed, non R rated, 90s action flick. It's on par with something like (an earlier) Mission Impossible 3. I feel people have only been crying about it on forums for as long as they have, purely because it hasn't had a blu-ray release. If it had, it'd barely get mentioned.

The Abyss on the other hand is a different beast entirely. While flawed, particularly the theatrical, it was ahead of it's time and explores many interesting concepts. Same could be said for many late 80s/90s sci-fi flicks though. It has unfortunately become mostly forgotten by all but those of a certain age, again quite likely purely down to the lack of any rereleases.

Subjectively of course, but Avatar is easily a better film than both, and much more deserving of a 4K release. If for no other reason than how absolutely jaw dropping it will look. I'm more than happy with the idea of a single Avatar sequel, filming 3 at once and expecting them to all be worthwhile hits is a little nieve in my opinion though. I still feel he's missed the boat a bit as well, should've released one a good 5 years ago.

Of course opinions differ. I saw The Abyss, True Lies and Avatar in theatres when they were released. I loved True Lies.
I didn't care for The Abyss or Avatar.

I have come to realize over the years that I like action movies but I guess I'm not really much of a fan of sci-fi or alien movies.

Reactions: TobGud
Of course opinions differ. I saw The Abyss, True Lies and Avatar in theatres when they were released. I loved True Lies.
I didn't care for The Abyss or Avatar.

I have come to realize over the years that I like action movies but I guess I'm not really much of a fan of sci-fi or alien movies.
Of course, completely subjective. I love sci-fi films, so that will always sway my judgement. I do really like action flicks as well, particularly 90s ones.

I've always thought true lies was a great film, but honestly there's nothing all that special or unique about it. It's no Terminator 2 or Die Hard. It's more comparable to something like Goldeneye. Which again is a great film, but fairly run of the mill within it's genre.

I agree on True Lies. Not one of his best....But The Abyss was like no other film. It was reall balls-to-the-wall filmmaking. The director's cut is a much better film than the theatrical. Basically the theatrical was a twofold compromise: the studio wanted a shorter film for more theater showings, but also ILM had not finished the effects in time for the release date. The theatrical is basically an unfinished film. (the added running time is not just effects. It adds many important story beats, and flushes characters out more fully).
Avatar never worked for me at all. It's is basically a retread of Ferngully and Dances With Wolves with fancy technology. A very rote stock story with no surprises. For me, Avatar is one of the most boring films he ever made.

Last edited:
The Abyss was like no other film. It was reall balls-to-the-wall filmmaking. The director's cut is a much better film than the theatrical. The theatrical is basically an unfinished film. Avatar never worked for me at all. It's is basically a retread of Ferngully and Dances With Wolves with fancy technology. A very rote stock story with no surprises. For me, Avatar is one of the most boring films he ever made.
Agree with you on the Abyss completely. Funnily enough the things you hate about Avatar is actually the reason why I like it!

Last edited:
Reactions: C.C. 95
Agree with you on the Abyss completely. Funnily enough the things you hate about Avatar is actually the reason why I like it!
Obviously I'm in the minority on that one. (Avatar).
i appreciate everything going on on a technical and filmmaking level, the story just leaves me cold.
I hope that when/if THE ABYSS gets rereleased it will get the accolades it deserves, and appreciation from a new audience that doesn't even know about it. It really is a historic film in every way.
I think it is Cameron's best film. (Although, not without some faults- again with dialog. In the best possible world - Cameron should always hire writers, he largely stinks at dialog. :LOL: )

In reality this is going to be on hold for who knows how long as Disney don’t want to release physical media anymore.

Yes I know that they will still do it for certain releases but the thing is they don’t want to do it, Disney Plus is all they care about when it comes to their home media strategy.

I really wish they hadn’t bought Fox as we were close to getting this and more importantly Aliens FAC which I doubt we will see until there is a 4K release at the earliest and that involves Cameron not working on Avatar for 5 minutes.