Problem with UHD picture quality on my oled tv

Nov 18, 2016
Belgium
Hi ninja's
I hope somebody can explain me whats wrong as it really bothers me a lot...
I bought the beastmaster on 4k UHD
It look totally crap on my TV. LOT of grainy parasites...
I thought it was because the movie is old and source material not that great...
Today wanted to show the movie to my daughter
Because there is not even french subs on the UHD disc i sourced on internet a UHD rip HD light of 5.4 gig cause this version has a french audio repack added...
To my biggest surprise the picture look 10x times better than my disc !
I have this bad picture quality issue with other discs like andy warhol flesh for dracula or demons from arrow, so that should exclude a defective disc issue.. on thr other hand a lpvie like blade runner 2049 has amazin picture .. so cant be a player issue either...
Any ninja can enlight me as what the issue might be ?

Hi @Jocelin.

All your troubles are from the source 4K (player or even HDMI cable).

Trying out a new cable is the cheapest potential solution as some cables are unable to stream much quality as 4K 10bit (or even 12 bit image from DV) requires.

If you've already tried the new high quality HDMI cable, try a Blu-ray in the same player you experienced problem with 4K discs. If Blu-ray is showing better than 4K, reset all image settings from both devices.... If Blu-ray shows a poor image too, player would be the problem here.

Hi @Jocelin, it would be very helpful to list the brand and model of your 4K UHD player and TV.

Does your Beastmaster 4K UHD edition also come with a regular Blu-ray disc? If it does, how does that picture compare to the 4K disc. Does it look the same as your ripped copy?

I came across this problem on my Sony OLED and I remember I had to reset the black levels for specific 4k discs on my picture menu for 4k. It happened with my copy of Groundhog Day. It looked all washed out and **** but once I did a few tweaks in the menu it was fine. Two other titles caused the same problem but I can't remember what they were right now.

Tried othe cable
Tried to disable the deep color as the tv tells me that it has automatically activated when pluggin the player.
Tried a blu ray on this player looks OK
Tried the blu ray version of the same movie on my ps4. Looks crap too, lots of ****
Could it be a setting on the TV for some specific UHD discs ?

Last edited:
Pic i took from the screen to give an idea how it looks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220123-110528_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220123-110528_Gallery.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 124
Tried othe cable
Tried to disable the deep color as the tv tells me that it has automatically activated when pluggin the player.
Tried a blu ray on this player looks OK
Tried the blu ray version of the same movie on my ps4. Looks crap too, lots of ****
Could it be a setting on the TV for some specific UHD discs ?
If Blu-ray looks that grainy too, may be the title itself (not the TV, neither the settings nor cable or player).

The master from the disc may be different than the one you download as UHDrip

Maybe OLED brings out all the faults and inconsistencies of a bad transfer, more detailed, sharper due to no problems with refresh rate or dimming zones/backlight as on LCD LED screens.
Which model do you have, LG? They need to be calibrated a lot, for each source separately, unlike Sony, which are set up pretty good from the factory. That could account for the difference between a rip, and the disc. Or they cleaned it up with noise reduction or something, when compressing (if it's not a remux).

Edit: Oh, and I think you need HDMi 2.1 cables for dynamic HDR (HDR10+) and Dolby Vision.

Last edited:
Hi @Lenny Nero
Thanks for your feedback !
My TV is a 65LGCX6LA
Like i said some discs show outstanding pictures
Some really bad... So i doubt it has been previously mentionned tha it might be a disc or player or even cable issue (i got HDMI 2.1)
Might indeed be a setting or calibration issue...
Last disc i tried that disapoint was the blade runner final cut. Some shot are really great, lots of others also have these buzzing grains all over.