'Prometheus' - In theaters June 8, 2012

Apr 2, 2009
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=63940

With all of the announcements of upcoming movies being planned for 3D over the next few years, one would expect that whether or not an upcoming tentpole movie will be in 3D is going to replace the "PG-13 vs. R" question that most filmmakers tend to get. The latest movie that seems to be going that route is Ridley Scott and 20th Century Fox's planned Alien Prequel.

UK sci-fi site Shadow Locked had a chance to talk with art director Roger Christian who worked on Star Wars and Alien, and they asked him about the direction Scott might take with a prequel, the two of them having worked together on the original movie. Besides dropping the fact that it will be shot in 3D, he hinted at a possible trilogy in the franchise's future.

He told them: "Ridley's doing the next Alien in 3D. Ridley told me some of his ideas when we were here in Toronto. He has a very clear understanding of where this should go. They kind of stopped dead one of the greatest horror franchises there's ever been, and it had legs to go on. So I'm hoping he'll revive another three. The world certainly wants it, and the fans want it - everybody."

Christian met with Scott, but hasn't confirmed that he might be involved with the new prequel, reuniting the duo for the first time in over 30 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ridley Scott’s Alien Prequel Details Revealed

Last year it was announced that 20th Century Fox had hired Ridley Scott to direct a prequel to the classic sci-fi film Alien. At the time I believed that would never happen. Why would Scott return to film a prequel of one of the most popular sci-fi film franchises of all time? Why compete with yourself? Producing the film seems like a much safer bet. Who knows why, but Ridley Scott signed on to direct a prequel to Alien. We haven’t heard much about the project until now.

MTV spoke to the filmmaker about his new film Robin Hood and was able to uncover some details about this upcoming project. Scott says that the story has been decided, they are in their fourth draft, and that designers are already “working graphically on designs for the various requirements of the film.” In the next few weeks he’ll have to turn a ballpark budget figure to the studio, but Scott is adamant that the film is actually going to happen. What is the story about? Scott explains:

“It’s set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley]. It’s fundamentally about going out to find out ‘Who the hell was that Space Jockey?’ The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle — there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer’s chair. … [The film] is about the discussion of terraforming — taking planets and planetoids and balls of earth and trying to terraform, seed them with the possibilities of future life.

In a 2002 interview, Scott wanted to return “to where the alien creatures were first found and explain how they were created.” It sounds like this idea has been incorporated into the prequel/reboot. Jon Spaihts is writing the screenplay, a job he earned after pitching the studio and production company Scott Free. Spaihts has no produced credits, but has written Shadow 19 and Passengers, both of which are also sci-fi space thrillers. Star Wars and Alien art-director Roger Christian previously confirmed that the movie will be shot in 3D.

Scott says that Weaver likely won’t have a part in the movie, but reveals the main character is a woman. Also, we should expect the film in theaters “in late 2011, or maybe the best date in 2012.” What gets me excited about the project is Scott’s complete honesty about how the franchise has sucked dry (about Alien vs. Predator he said “I know it’s commerce, but what a pity”) and his lack of interest for ever making a sequel. Scott claims he’s “always avoided sequels” and is only directing this film becuase he feels “there was something fresh” Good enough for me…

Read more: Ridley Scott’s Alien Prequel Details Revealed | /Film http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/04/23/ridley-scotts-alien-prequel-details-revealed/#ixzz0lwpTTMha

For all you alien fans!

Casting updates per Screen Rant:

Production on Ridley Scott’s Prometheus began last month, so news on the Alien prequel-turned-spinoff has been in short supply as of late. Besides a few rumored plot details that popped up recently, there’s been little to do but wait and see what Scott will deliver with his return to the sci-fi genre.

A tidbit about some supporting actors now on-board for Prometheus has been leaked – however, the more tantalizing morsel of (unconfirmed) news comes from an insider who says that there is substance to those rumors about the iconic Alien xenomorphs appearing in Scott’s new film.

But the site’s big scoop is this bit of information, which reportedly comes from an insider on the Prometheus set:

I can confirm seeing 3 aliens having lunch. Not the whole costume but blueish costumes and the unmistakable heads hanging around their shoulders…The alien heads were the same shape [as the xenomorph from Alien] but no markings, only a plane [sic] bronze colour. As for the suits black boots and shoulder pads the rest was a Chelsea blue body suit could be for SFX, all the sets around the back of the bond stage have huge green [chroma key] maybe that’s a clue.

I have witnessed foam cut outs of unmistakable aliens all cut in half [length] ways so they could be in the floor walls etc and very much from the original film.

The redesigned xenomorph from 'Alien 3'.

It won’t really be all that shocking if the xenomorphs appear in some form in Prometheus; at this point especially, it would be more of a twist if the extraterrestrials aren’t featured at all. Given the mythos of the creature’s biological structure (and yes, the Alien Vs. Predator movies have made that a bit convoluted), there’s all the more reason to suspect we’ll see a version of the xenomorph that differs all the more from the one featured in Alien 3 – especially if the movie includes one “born” from a Space Jockey.

Scott has assembled a stellar cast for Prometheus and Damon Lindelof’s well-praised script could very well spin a cautionary yarn about some heady sci-fi topics like genetic manipulation and the terra-forming of other planets. Between the semi-Alien franchise pic and this summer’s Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I’d say it looks like we’ve got some pretty cool sci-fi prequels (or something close to that) to look forward to.

Prometheus is scheduled to arrive in theaters on June 8th, 2012.

This is the only upcoming movie I'm looking forward to. The Alien BD Boxset comes with a little note form Ridley talking about this.

Now that I think about it, I'm looking forward to Superman too... but I think Prometheus is in better hands then ol' Supes is. ;)

Is Guy Pearce in Prometheus?

Just found this article on CHUD

**Note: I’ve gotten two more corroborating emails saying that yes Guy Pearce is in the flick.

Prometheus looks to be the most unmissable film of 2012. It has the potential to vitalize the most wonderful [and judging from most of the recent films misused] sci-fi series around and with Ridley Scott at the helm and seemingly aggressively making his first big genre stamp in a long time it’ll at least be intriguing. It’ll be amazing, that’s my guess. Fassbender. Elba. Amazing. Rapace… the jury is still out. Theron, case by case. But Fassbender and Elba are masters. And I just got an email sent to me from someone going by the name Brain Blessed that purports this juicy potential:

Guy Pearce. In an Alien movie. If true, what an amazing possibility. I have had the privilege of watching the man act and seen the Blue Collar work ethic he brings (ie: driving himself to set, being there early, and forging friendships with everyone) and as anyone whose seen his work on the big screen can attest: He improves anything he’s associated with.

Here’s an excerpted clip from the email, with some things changed to protect:

“Evening Nick, my mate is working on Prometheus as OMITTED and met Guy Pierce on set today. She’s previously worked on OMITTED, OMITTED and OMITTED and I’ve no reason to believe she’s lying. I’ve not read anywhere about Guy being cast so thought it might interest you.“

Look, I don’t know the emailer. It could be a huge ball of bullshit. It could be a joke.

But it could be true and it could be amazing. I’ve got some feelers out to see if we can get hard evidence but for now cross your fingers and remember where you heard it first.

Source

Confirmed: Guy Pearce Joins Ridley Scott’s ‘Prometheus’

Rumors had been flying around for the past few days about Guy Pearce taking a role in Ridley Scott’s highly anticipated and top-secret “Prometheus” after CHUD caught wind of some intel from their sources. We put in a few calls and it turns out that morsel of info is bang on.

The Playlist has confirmed with reps for the actor, that Guy Pearce has joined “Prometheus.” There’s no word yet on what his role in the film is, but he’s joining an already solid cast in the film that both is and isn’t a direct prequel to “Alien”—essentially, it will take place in the same world with some connective DNA stringing the two films together, but how much more than that remains to be seen.

Pearce joins Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, Sean Harris, Kate Dickie, Rafe Spall and Logan Marshall-Green in the film that is currently in the midst of a six-month shoot that started in Toronto and is currently in front of cameras on soundstages in London. The film will hit theaters on June 8, 2012.

Source