PS3, Panny, Panny HTIB Hook-up Issue

Jan 29, 2009
Alright, my brother finally made the HD plunge, getting a 42" 1080p Panny Plasma, with a 1000W Panny DVD HTIB, and a PS3.

Now with the setup, can I run HDMI to the TV, then optical out of the TV, to the receiver, and still receive the Normal 5.1? Or Should I HDMI to the TV for video only, and then optical out to the HTIB for audio.

The only issue with the 2nd one is that you don't receive audio from your cable signal then from the TV, as the TV has a straight coaxial hooked into, not a fancy HD box.

So my real question is, Will the HDTV downgrade it to 2.0 since its not a source through the antenna? Or will it mess up the PCM out to receiver via the PS3...

Because technically I should leave it in standard mode, and it should play what its receiving, and when I do that, all speakers talk, only the center should. But If I put it in Manual Mode and throw it into the Pro II Movie Mode, it works correctly, but from what I know, I should only have to use Standard Mode.

We were using a DVD to test it out, but it outputs in 5.1 so technically i shouldn't have an issue, even though its not a blu-ray.

Thanks in advance,

caliblue15

Equipment:

Panasonic - TC-P42S1
HTIB - SC-PT770
PS3 Slim - 120 gb

Last edited:
Umm......I had a HTIB like that when I first got my ps3 and stuff. Idk about using the optical and all that stuff, but the only thing I got in 5.1 was DVD when I used it in the DVD player itself.

Umm......I had a HTIB like that when I first got my ps3 and stuff. Idk about using the optical and all that stuff, but the only thing I got in 5.1 was DVD when I used it in the DVD player itself.

It technically should play everything, since the PS3 is going to read all the codec's...

All I want is for it to play the 5.1 surround sound. Meaning talk in the center channel, etc.

Eh, i'll just play with it later on today and see what happens...

This is a half TV, half audio question. I'm hooking up my PS3 to my TV, 42" Panny, then using the optical out to go to the receiver.

Will the TV downgrade the audio to 2.0 this way, or will the TV just pass it through?

Also should I run PCM, or be bitstreaming, to have the PS3 do all the decoding and just send the audio to a receiver which can't read blu-ray codecs...

This is a half TV, half audio question. I'm hooking up my PS3 to my TV, 42" Panny, then using the optical out to go to the receiver.

Will the TV downgrade the audio to 2.0 this way, or will the TV just pass it through?

Also should I run PCM, or be bitstreaming, to have the PS3 do all the decoding and just send the audio to a receiver which can't read blu-ray codecs...

Wow, I would have thought HTIB's would start coming with at least 1 HDMI IN and 1 HDMI out... Anyways, The TV shouldn't downgrade the audio to 2.0 at all. Double check the manual on the TV. My G10 doesn't downgrade, as far as I know, and the S1 is basically a G10 without THX and some other minimal items.

Run PCM and let your PS3 do the work.. if the HTIB can take a multi channel PCM signal then do it. You can bitstream with optical and let the HTIB do it's thing to the signal, but I'd bet a dollar that when it came to blu-rays you'd want the PCM signal since bitstream will automatically default to the core audio track and become lossy.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: You know I just realized you're running optical for audio period so it doesn't matter if you bitstream or PCM since you'll never get that higher bandwidth signal to pass through the optical cable.

Bummer!

I guess the receiver is not HDMI ... with that said, run HDMI from the tv to the ps3 select in the ps3 to read video via HDMI ... now you have your 1080p for the video

Since you dont have HDMI for the receiver you cant get HD audio, with that said, run the optical since its the next best choice and choose it via audio options in ps3.

There, your done.

Shoulda got a HDMI receiver, I seen even BB has an insignia HDMI receiver now although at the same price you can get an onkyo from ecost.com that reads more codecs.

If you want it so u can listen to TV and use the surround as well then you could get an optical splitter and do it that way .... I have one I could sell ya if need be since they arent common to buy and I dont need it.

So if you get an HDMI receiver how would one hook it up? I was going to post almost this same thread, but I figured i'd just run with this one if that's ok.

I have a 50" 1080p Panasonic and a PS3. I'm looking to get a surround system but know little to nothing about the process so i'd like some audiophile to walk me through it like i'm a baby.

So if you get an HDMI receiver how would one hook it up? I was going to post almost this same thread, but I figured i'd just run with this one if that's ok.

I have a 50" 1080p Panasonic and a PS3. I'm looking to get a surround system but know little to nothing about the process so i'd like some audiophile to walk me through it like i'm a baby.

PS3 Phat or PS3 slim?

What type of surround system? HTIB or receiver and speakers etc...

PS3 Phat or PS3 slim?

What type of surround system? HTIB or receiver and speakers etc...

I have a fatty, and I know they don't get the same sound as the slim. So should I run sound from the TV or what?

And i'm not sure about what kind I want or need. Like I said, this is the first surround system i've ever looked into so I know very little.

I've read a bit, but I don't want to read for 6 more months just to learn the basics. Just looking for any help.

Since you have a fat, you can only LPCM...

Do you want a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound? Full quality or just cool sounding surround sound..

Since you have a fat, you can only LPCM...

Do you want a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound? Full quality or just cool sounding surround sound..

i've considered a slim to get full (if I can) quality... but i'm not really sure. I think "cool sounding" might be more in my current budget.. but idk. I don't like to half ass stuff... but IDK if I'd really care about 7.1... I just need it louder.

i've considered a slim to get full (if I can) quality... but i'm not really sure. I think "cool sounding" might be more in my current budget.. but idk. I don't like to half ass stuff... but IDK if I'd really care about 7.1... I just need it louder.

HTIB is going to give you Dolby Digital 5.1 which is DVD sound quality...

yeah. I'll have to figure something out. I want the best sound I can afford. so maybe i'll spring for a new PS3.

Best Sound is different for people, most think the Dolby Digital surround sounds is amazing... even though its from DVD because most people never had true surround sounds..

It's easy to hook it up to a receiver. Just ask when you get one or ready to buy one if your not sure if you're getting the right type.

Why dont you run the optical cable from the ps3 straight to the reciever and dont bother having the surrounds fro the tv??

That way you can sound coming from the tv and the surrounds for the ps3. There is a update that come out a while ago where you could do that.

Jef, at bare minimum to take advantage of HD audio you need not only a receiver that has an HDMI slot (acutally atlest 2 in and 1 out) but you want it to be able to decode all the codecs TrueHD HD Master etc. etc.

So at bare minimum you need an Onkyo 605 receiver ... I'd go for a 606 or 805 if you can tho.

Amazon's price on the receivers is decent, but where I bought mine was from ecost.com they are a certified professional onkyo dealer ... they refurb onkyo's so they can offer at cheaper prices and they still look comestically new.

You could just go buy some HDMI receiver and still get screwed by not being able to do all the HD soundtracks. So you really should get avice on which model your looking at before hand.

btw, you dont need 7.1 .... thats for big rooms. thats just 7 speakers + your bass.
(plus you can always make your 5.1 setup 7.1 in the future if the back of your receiver has spots for 2 exta speaker inputs.)

2 fronts, 2 rears, 2 middle, 1 center, = 7 + bass =.1 = 7.1

5.1 should do you fine if your in a medium size room ... if your in some gigantic room then I guess u should go 7.1

Your better off peicing your system together then buying some box set up. If you do get a box set up sometimes amazon can offer good ones with good recievers.

Basically, its all about the receiver and many box sets dont come with receivers totally capable of taking advantage of Blu-ray Discs.

Dolby Digital by it self is crap compared to TrueHD and HD Master and lossless soundtracks. Future proof your purchases, dont buy a HTIB and ina year your pissed you didnt get a good receiver since you cant hear the TrueHD track that it shows on the back of your favorite blu-ray

I have seen many starters who buy a HTIB and just buy a receiver elsewhere. Like a cheapy HTIB until they slowly replace all speakers for others.

Last edited:
all good advice...

Don't forget to explore receivers.. the pioneer elites are pretty nice and despite some minimal quarks the Harman Kardon receivers have unmatched sound in comparison to what you'll find at bestbuy like onkyos and yamahas

Yeah if money isnt a huge issue than Denons are nice too. I did also notice BB has some HDMI Insignia receiver now but I bet it doesnt do all the audio soundtracks you would want like TrueHD etc etc.

Not sure though, you'd have to investigate.