PS4 Rumours - Possible PS4 announcement on February 20th

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Kotaku have apparently received some information on the PS4 from an "unnamed source". You can read the full article on their site.

In short, here's basically what is rumoured for the next console...

• - Is called, or at least carries the working codename, "Orbis".
  • - Is scheduled for a Holiday 2013 release.
  • - Won't be backwards compatible with PS3 games.
  • - Will lock new games to a PSN account as an anti-used games measure.
  • - New games can be bought either on Blu-Ray or downloaded.
  • - Current specs are an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU

What are your thoughts/opinions on the rumours?

Last edited:
Reactions: ocielz
Yeah, i agree that most gamers aren't ready for completely digital games, just look how ****** the PSP Go did, when Sony tried to go all digital.

I don't mind digital at all..I think I have downloaded about 100+ free games from Playstation already... This will save me a lot of money...I don't need to buy steelbook for the games anymore...

Last edited:
New post that'll be appearing on my blog...

Whether you want to think about it or not, Sony’s PlayStation 4 will be here before you know it (some analysts are estimating October 2013), therefore, I think it’s about time we talk about it.

Sony has a sick amount of exclusive games that have franchises that’ll most likely continue on the PS4, so what are you hoping you’ll see on the new ‘beast’? I’d obviously love to see Metal Gear Solid continue on the PS4 (which I’m sure it will), though it’s highly doubtful that the eventual MGS5 will stay exclusive to Sony’s platform with Microsoft’s Xbox 720 (or Xbox… or NeXtbox… or whatever it’s going to be called) also around the corner.

xbox-720-and-ps4-2.jpg

Uncharted’s another series that I’d love to see continue on the PS4. There’s just an unlimited pool of adventures that Nathan Drake could still tackle, though I know that kind of goes against Naughty Dog’s history of beginning a new franchise with each new PlayStation. With that said, they are kind of going against their previous rule already by releasing The Last of Us within this console generation.

How about God of War? Santa Monica is clearly showing that there are stories left to tell in Kratos’ past, but what of his future? I personally think that they should’ve left Kratos lay dormant until the PS4, but with Ascension on the way, that’s clearly not happening. I think that the dev team should take God of War in a new direction with the PS4 by giving the world a new mythology and a new protagonist.

ps4.jpg

Then there’s Gran Turismo. Obviously that’ll continue on the new console. It is Sony’s highest-grossing series of all time, after all. When you think about, there are so many directions the games may take with this new console, though I do hope they stay relatively gimmick-free. This generation gave us 3D displays, motion gameplay and online multiplayer (technically last generation did that, but it was this generation where it really boomed). All I really want is an awesome single-player storyline that makes me stop and say, "PS3 who?"

What will this console carry as far as specs go? I’ve read rumours that games will be locked to one system and that used game sales and game rentals will go the way of the dinosaur. I hope that truly stays a rumour only because to me, that sounds absolutely awful.

PS4_release_date.jpg

What will the new console look like? As you can see by reading through this post, there are a lot of ideas floating around out there. Will it be sleek and sexy like the original “fat” PS3 or tiny and meh like the PS3’s newest integrations?

I’ve often considered creating a dedicated PS4 Web site, but until that ever happens, I’m sticking to the forums (especially my home away from home, Hi-Def Ninja). The coming months are going to either be incredibly exciting for PlayStation fans or incredibly worrisome. Who knows – maybe it’ll be a little bit of both? Either way, in the next year, gaming’s going to a whole new battlefield and it'll sure be interesting watching the next generation of consoles (and console wars) unfolds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, would definitely love to see them continue Uncharted on the PS4. Obviously GTA is another one I've got my fingers crossed for, but I'm sure they'll definitely continue with that franchise for many years to come. There are a number of other games I'd like to see more of on the new consoles as well, but most of all, I'm looking forward to new games... something that really pushes the boundaries and makes the most of the new technology they'll be using in the consoles. As for the console itself, something sleek and sexy will do me! :D

I know this may seem silly, but I'd love a revamped Crash Bandicoot. I know technically its multi-platform, but I just remember the old PS days and how fun it was to play.

And I hope they get the move technology right.

I know this may seem silly, but I'd love a revamped Crash Bandicoot. I know technically its multi-platform, but I just remember the old PS days and how fun it was to play.

And I hope they get the move technology right.

That's not silly at all, bud. PlayStation fans have many fond memories of Crash's PSOne days. It's unfortunate that Universal sold the franchise rights to Activision instead of Sony. Activision's done nothing but dish out mediocre/horrible Crash and Spyro games since they bought both franchises. Hell, Spyro just stars in a kiddy toys-come-to-life gimmick now.

There's actually a LOT of PSOne classics that I'd love to see return. MediEvil, Gex, Syphon Filter, Blasto, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Extreme-G... so many missed franchises that need to be revived ASAP.

Price now this will not be cheep no one has the money to replace consoles that are working. wiiU is £250 to £300 ish I have a feeling that it will be starting at £300 games could be more they are about £10 more on the P.S.N than the average £40 in shops/ online.

The 1st gen PS3 I would not have touched with a barge pole plain ugly no other word I can use other than UGLY. Super slim looks cheep yuch.

I hate downloading I once tried to do a sat nav update and killed it dead. Even game add ons I'll wait for a gold edition disk rather than download.

That last controller looks like a boomerang so when you throw it at the cat T.V Or wall at least it should come back to you without you having to get up and fetch it . All in all a worrying development with the download only .

Only reason I committed to the PS3 was because it had a blu-ray player in it. The odds of the new Xbox having a blu-ray disc drive are really strong which means for the next gen console gaming Ill be going to back to the XBox side. No more glitchy online play (even if it is free).

Only reason I committed to the PS3 was because it had a blu-ray player in it. The odds of the new Xbox having a blu-ray disc drive are really strong which means for the next gen console gaming Ill be going to back to the XBox side. No more glitchy online play (even if it is free).

Were you hoping for a cookie? Or the standard no one cares?

It's been nice knowing you dude... traitor! :p

One thing's for sure, I won't be buying the PS4 on release, even if I can afford it. Not after all the problems people had with their original FAT PS3's anyway. I had two friends whose PS3's packed up in the same week, then mine went the week after... coincidence?

It's been nice knowing you dude... traitor! :p

One thing's for sure, I won't be buying the PS4 on release, even if I can afford it. Not after all the problems people had with their original FAT PS3's anyway. I had two friends whose PS3's packed up in the same week, then mine went the week after... coincidence?

If you're only looking for online play and an unnecessary fee that comes with it, Jason's probably going in the right direction. If you want a great line-up of exclusives that include spectacular single-player story-lines... games that could actually be considered artistic and innovative... games that don't cater so much towards the 14-year old racist/sexist morons out there... then PlayStation's the place to be.

I won't be purchasing a PS4 at release either. Getting married next fall, so I won't have the time and I most definitely won't have the money. That said, if any awesome Collector's Editions are released, I'll buy them so I have them for when I do eventually get a PS4.

Reactions: ocielz and Noodles
I have no problem buying a PS4 the first day as long as the price isn't over 400 bucks.But no matter what it will always be second fiddle to Xbox 720,because that's where everyone is going to be again.