PS4 Rumours - Possible PS4 announcement on February 20th

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Kotaku have apparently received some information on the PS4 from an "unnamed source". You can read the full article on their site.

In short, here's basically what is rumoured for the next console...

• - Is called, or at least carries the working codename, "Orbis".
  • - Is scheduled for a Holiday 2013 release.
  • - Won't be backwards compatible with PS3 games.
  • - Will lock new games to a PSN account as an anti-used games measure.
  • - New games can be bought either on Blu-Ray or downloaded.
  • - Current specs are an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU

What are your thoughts/opinions on the rumours?

Last edited:
Reactions: ocielz
I have no problem buying a PS4 the first day as long as the price isn't over 400 bucks.But no matter what it will always be second fiddle to Xbox 720,because that's where everyone is going to be again.

It all comes down to who releases their system first. PS2 is still the #1 selling video game console of all time, so I wouldn't count Sony out when it comes to the battle of the next generation of consoles.

It's been nice knowing you dude... traitor! :p

One thing's for sure, I won't be buying the PS4 on release, even if I can afford it. Not after all the problems people had with their original FAT PS3's anyway. I had two friends whose PS3's packed up in the same week, then mine went the week after... coincidence?

^^^ LOL. You know I have made so many online friends on PS3 it will be hard to not get the PS4 just to be able to play with them (especially NHL online). I guess what Im saying is that I really never knew what all the rage about the online play over on X-Box was all about until I finally got a chance to check it out at a friends place not too long ago. The online play really is awesome on X-Box side even if they do charge for it. No hiccups, glitches, etc. That being said I still vastly prefer my PS3 to the XBOX in just about every regard except online play. I have always been a multi-console setup guy and I guess with the next gen console Ill probably be going back to the multi-console setup and just get both. This gen was without a doubt dominated by PS3 in our house. I just miss playing the console exclusive games on both sides when you dont have one or the other.

Yup, not getting the PS4 on release either this time. I think I have been an early adopter on consoles for a few gen's now and got burned every time (xbox and ps) with consoles that I paid way too much money for and they died eventually. Gunna wait it out this time for sure and frankly just dont feel like paying $500 for a console anymore!

If you're only looking for online play and an unnecessary fee that comes with it, Jason's probably going in the right direction. If you want a great line-up of exclusives that include spectacular single-player story-lines... games that could actually be considered artistic and innovative... games that don't cater so much towards the 14-year old racist/sexist morons out there... then PlayStation's the place to be.

^^^ Pretty much what I was hoping to go for I guess. :rolleyes: Since everyone who plays on a xbox is just that, right. Maybe jefXfree will bring me that cookie now.

^^^ Pretty much what I was hoping to go for I guess. :rolleyes: Since everyone who plays on a xbox is just that, right. Maybe jefXfree will bring me that cookie now.

Not meant as an assault on you, my friend... just speaking from my own experience with the Xbox (I was an Xbox owner for quite a bit of years). If someone's an avid MP fan, though, Xbox is probably the play to be this generation. I'm a SP fan, so I'll be sticking with PS. Who knows where consoles will go next generation, though. MP on a Sony console may be just as good as Microsoft's.

If you get an extra cookie, mind sharing? ;)

Reactions: Jason Bourne
Not meant as an assault on you, my friend... just speaking from my own experience with the Xbox (I was an Xbox owner for quite a bit of years). If someone's an avid MP fan, though, Xbox is probably the play to be this generation. I'm a SP fan, so I'll be sticking with PS. Who knows where consoles will go next generation, though. MP on a Sony console may be just as good as Microsoft's.

If you get an extra cookie, mind sharing? ;)

I know what you meant, lol. I have heard a lot of that same sentiment from other xbox owners as well so I know what you mean. You get those types on PSN here and there as well. Which is why late night gaming rocks. Mostly just mature gamer's on at that time (at-least I find).

Who knows what the next gen consoles will turn out like. All I know is it should be good times barring any dumb moves like locking games to only one user's account (which is highly doubtful and really dumb). Ill be getting both consoles in due time I think as I miss playing some of the console exclusive game campaigns.

Yup Im still waiting for my cookie from him so if he bakes a few extra, one is yours! :thumbs:

haha. I don't care what anyone buys but I refuse to believe the hype around xbox live. I've had my PS3 since launch and have yet to have a single issue with the servers or online play... Any time i've wanted to play i've played and haven't had an issue... IDK what more one could want.

I always been an ps fan, but I did buy the 360 originally and I only got burned. I used to work for a certification house back in the day and I saw the original design. That was terrible design right from the get go, i only had the board so we could see how it was all out together inside, it was clear that M$ only cared to beat Sony to the release, hence why they had at one point 42 or was it 46% console death ratio? I myself went through so many before I completely threw it out of the window.

Xbox live was great, but it did not justify for lack of caring from M$ towards their customers. Anybody wants to argue that, go back and look at the numbers. I still have my original ps3 that I bought when it was released, that box is still running without a single problem. Sure it was pricey but it is still running. That only tells me quality was the main focus. All those online problems didnt even affect me so whatever, even today Xbox users continuously keep getting their accounts hacked or stolen and sold online only to find out M$ banned them and users are forced to make new ones. So it's not all perfect.

At the end of the day people will get what appeals to them.

Reactions: ocielz
I always been an ps fan, but I did buy the 360 originally and I only got burned. I used to work for a certification house back in the day and I saw the original design. That was terrible design right from the get go, i only had the board so we could see how it was all out together inside, it was clear that M$ only cared to beat Sony to the release, hence why they had at one point 42 or was it 46% console death ratio? I myself went through so many before I completely threw it out of the window.

Xbox live was great, but it did not justify for lack of caring from M$ towards their customers. Anybody wants to argue that, go back and look at the numbers. I still have my original ps3 that I bought when it was released, that box is still running without a single problem. Sure it was pricey but it is still running. That only tells me quality was the main focus. All those online problems didnt even affect me so whatever, even today Xbox users continuously keep getting their accounts hacked or stolen and sold online only to find out M$ banned them and users are forced to make new ones. So it's not all perfect.

I worked at Future Shop as a shipper/receiver when the 360 was first released. I sent out returns every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and I kid you not, I would ship back anywhere from 20 to 40 defective Xbox 360s per truck. When the Wii and PS3 released, my returns-per-truck consisted of at least 20 Xbox 360s, 6 PS3s and 1 or 2 Wiis. I stopped working there around 4 years ago now, but I can only assume that their return trucks look the same to this day.

Yup, Not gunna lie I was an early adopter of the XBOX 360... Went through two of them in a matter of 1.5 years which is when I gave up and bought a PS3. Im on my second PS3 right now.... my early PS3 (FAT version as they call it now) got the YLOD problem and I picked up a slim version. That being said I barely used the two XBOX 360's and they both died. The PS3's on the other hand I used the piss out of so I dont feel like the first one dying on me was unjust for it to die, lol.

Sony patents PS4 controller redesign

A patent published by Sony in 2011, but just recently uncovered by TheSixthAxis, hints at a PS Move + Dualshock mashup in one controller that is actually separable and can break apart at the hinge in the middle (pictured below). The PS Move wands apparently fit into the controller, and the globes glow like a traditional PS Move controller, according to the patent. It’s also registered to SCEA, so it’s definitely in use by Sony (or will be. Or might be).

The patent calls the controller a “hybrid separable motion controller.”

sony-controller-patent-1.png

The patent mentions some other features that the controller has, such as gyroscopes, a speaker, a magnetometer, accelerometers, vibration feedback and a touch pad. Not to mention all the regular buttons. It also looks like the controller needs a camera to detect it, and the game that is running knows whether or not the controller is split in two and then ask the user to adjust the setup accordingly.

The patent also shows a Cell/RSX configuration on one slide.

sony-controller-patent-2.png

It looks like Sony might be planning to make this the main controller for the PS4, because it would be a little foolish to introduce another controller for the PS3 at this point in the generation, and it already has the PS Move, the Sixaxis and the Dualshock 3 to run on right now.

With Nintendo innovating with the Wii U’s GamePad, and Microsoft also clearly planning something for the Kinect in the future with the next Xbox, Sony must be thinking about a new way to play games too. They did conceive the PS Move with a long term plan, and using it in such a way for the PS4 would make a lot of sense. This does provide a lot of room for innovation, but then again, it’s just a patent right now, and we never know if it’ll even come into use.

sony-controller-patent-4.png

Attachments

• sony-controller-hybrid-patent.png
    sony-controller-hybrid-patent.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:
I can care less about the ps move technology. I bought it when it first came out, and was quickly bored with it. I guess i got all of my motion gaming out of my system, when i had my Wii. I just want to sit in my chair, and relax, and enjoy my game.

I can care less about the ps move technology. I bought it when it first came out, and was quickly bored with it. I guess i got all of my motion gaming out of my system, when i had my Wii. I just want to sit in my chair, and relax, and enjoy my game.

Same here mate... I've never had any interest in it and probably never will. Thankfully it sounds like the Move wands will just slot in the top of the controller, rather than them being permanently attached.

Reactions: Sixteenvolt420
Well,Chances are it won't have those Ps move like balls on the top in the final version,but all that other stuff like breaking in half seems like it could happen.Sony hasn't really changed there controller all that much since the start.

The bad thing is the remote alone will probably end up being like a 80 bucks for a new one.

Sony PlayStation has just made an announcement that an event is happening on February 20th at 6 p.m. EST. They also posted the following video along with the line "See the future". Could this be the announcement of the PS4? I guess we'll have to wait until February 20th to find out!

Last edited by a moderator:
if it comes out this year and gta is out in sept 17th on ps3, ps4 it better be able to play it

Chances are they'll just reveal the console or what they have planned for it. If they do release it this year, then it won't be until around Christmas when people will want them as presents... Sony are clever like that. *KERCHING!* :naughty:

Chances are they'll just reveal the console or what they have planned for it. If they do release it this year, then it won't be until around Christmas when people will want them as presents... Sony are clever like that. *KERCHING!* :naughty:

If they announce the PS4 at this date then for sure the PS4 shows up for sale around Nov 2013 right before X-Mas. I for one wont be a early adopter this time. Gunna' wait at-least a year or so before committing. Should be fun times though... Excited to say the least! :D

Thanks for posting Noodles or I wouldn't know about it! Now I have Feb 20 marked :thumbs:

Reactions: Noodles
If they announce the PS4 at this date then for sure the PS4 shows up for sale around Nov 2013 right before X-Mas. I for one wont be a early adopter this time. Gunna' wait at-least a year or so before committing. Should be fun times though... Excited to say the least! :D

Thanks for posting Noodles or I wouldn't know about it! Now I have Feb 20 marked :thumbs:

Yep, November seems about right mate. I'll be doing exactly the same as you... waiting at least a year or so before I bother picking one up. Although it might be even longer, depending on the price. :ohno:

Reactions: Jason Bourne