PSN Outage Megathread - News, Info, and Rants Galore...

Glen-BoB

Grampie Blu-Clan
Jan 28, 2009
Dartmouth, NS, CaNaDa
Even tho it rarely happens I just thought this might be a good place to discuss whatcha been playing since while the PSN is D O W N.

This discussion kinda already got on it's way over in the Socom 4 thread but I think it warrants it's own thread.

Personally I've taken this opportunity to complete some SP games I've started. I'm not a fan of SP but whachagonnado when the PSN is outta commission. So far I've completed Socom 4, Killzone 3 and just finished Modern Warfare 2, hahaha. I've got a ton of games that I've started but SP bores me a bit so I never finish them.

Last edited by a moderator:
In case anyone had the same problem as me (Free game option disappearing due to dl'ing errors), here's Sony's Fix:

Please keep in mind that if you do not immediately select your free game after activating the Welcome Back Free PS3/PSP Game 1 Game 2, the "Welcome Back Free..." icon will disappear from the store.

To claim a title for each of the " Welcome Back Free..." selections if the icon is missing from the PlayStation Store, you need to perform the following steps:

+Exit PlayStation®Store.
+From the XMB select:
+ select Account Management
+ Transaction Management
+ +Services List
+ SCEA Promotion
+PS3: Select 'Welcome Back Free PS3™ Game 1' or 'Welcome Back Free PS3™ Game 2' (whichever product has remaining uses).
+PSP: Select 'Welcome Back Free PSP™ Game 1' or 'Welcome Back Free PSP™ Game 2' (whichever product has remaining uses).
Select 'Select Content' button and select your game.

Reactions: bighorns
Last night I was on late enough that I managed to redeem some things and get them downloading. Also, if you guys haven't tried yet, if you have multiple accounts on your PS3 you can get multiple games. I ended up getting all 5 games. Check it out.

Last night I was on late enough that I managed to redeem some things and get them downloading. Also, if you guys haven't tried yet, if you have multiple accounts on your PS3 you can get multiple games. I ended up getting all 5 games. Check it out.

Yeah me an my bro are going to do that to get all the games.just got to download my first game (infamous) hopefully download the others when where done with FF13.

Thats what i did too since for some reason Game 2 didnt download on main acct so went to other acct and redownloaded, didnt get LBP1 but might just incase i ever sell disc

Spanish police arrest Anonymous members

Spanish police have confirmed they have arrested three individuals believed to be linked to Anonymous, the notorious "hacktivist" group blamed for the cyber attacks on PlayStation Network in April 2011.

Times Live reports that authorities carried out the arrests after analysing more than two million lines recorded on various web pages and chats.

A statement from the police reads, “One of them had in his home a server on which they coordinated and executed computer attacks on government, financial and business web pages around the world.”

The suspects were apparently responsible for launching online attacks not only against Sony’s online service, but also banks BBVA and Bankia, Italian power company Enel, as well as the governments of Egypt, Algeria, Libya, Iran, Chile, Colombia, and New Zealand.

Anonymous previously issued a statement distancing itself from the PSN hack, though conceded the attacks may have been committed by a rogue faction of the group.

Sony boss Kazuo Hirai admitted yesterday that the hardware manufacturer may never catch those responsible for the crimes or find out what information they stole.

Codemasters website hacked, account information stolen

Try to access the official Codemasters website today and you'll be re-directed to the publisher's Facebook profile following a security breach in which hackers have reportedly stolen names, addresses, email addresses, phone numbers dates of birth, passwords and IP addresses of user accounts.

The only good news for those who registered on the website is that payment details were not apparently taken, but users have been contacted via email and encouraged to change passwords as soon as they can. Gamers who have registered an online VIP pass for DiRT 3 on PlayStation 3 could also be affected.

"Be extra cautious of potential scams, via email, phone, or post that ask you for personal or sensitive information," warns Codemasters. It would have been nice if Codemasters had contacted everyone affected. Some members of the site, including staff members at PSU, still haven't been contacted by the publisher, despite the hacking taking place on June 3.

The official website will remain offline “for the foreseeable future” said a spokesperson for the British publisher. Updates on the issue will be provided on the official Facebook page.

Hackers return attack on Spanish police

Late last week Spanish police confirmed that they had arrested three “core” members of the hacktivist group responsible for the PlayStation Network outage – Anonymous.

Now, it seems that the hacking group has fired back at Spain's police force website.

Last night, www.policia.es, was taken down for “about an hour” via a DDoS (distributed denial of service) attack. While the result of the attack doesn't appear to be too severe, it certainly demonstrates that Anonymous is not afraid of going after the law itself.

For the past few months there have been a myriad of reports of hacking attempts on video game-related websites and servers, and there seems to be no end to these attacks in the near future.

Bethesda websites and forums hacked, user information compromised

Bethesda Softworks has confirmed that this past weekend, multiple websites and forums belonging to the company have been victim of hack attempts, and personal user information has been compromised.

Bethesda reassures users that no personal financial information or credit card numbers were taken, but admits that the hackers may have gained access to user names, email addresses, and passwords.

“If your username/email address/password is similar to what you use on other sites, we recommend changing the password at those sites as well. As we don’t know what further plans the hackers may have, we suggest that you keep an eye out for suspicious emails and account activity.” says Bethesda.

If you have an account on any of Bethesda's websites, or community forums, be sure to take the necessary precautionary steps given by the company, as this may pertain to you.

SCEA boss: Sony now 'ever vigilant' in wake of PSN hack

Jack Tretton, CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA), has said the console maker has been "ever vigilant” in wake of the cyber attacks on PlayStation Network in mid-April.

Chatting with the New York Times, Tretton described the breach, which left millions of users’ personal data compromised, as a “wakeup call” for the electronics giant, and insisted that Sony is "doing everything we can" to protect its consumers.

“We have been ever vigilant with everything that has been happening,” he commented.

“If you read the newspaper, you realize that there are companies being bombarded with people trying to hack them all the time. Yet, this was a real wakeup call we had to go through. Now we feel our systems are more secure that they have ever been.”

Elsewhere, the executive revealed that “more than 70 million people” had returned to PSN after the service was restored last month. He also expects a fresh batch of users to jump on board the network on the strength of PS3’s impending holiday line-up.

Finally, quizzed as to whether or not Sony wants to discourage users from modifying their PS3 consoles, Tretton replied, “We embrace independent game development; if you call that hacking, then we embrace that. We give people tools that let them create new experience.”

“What I don’t think we are in support of is someone trying to hack our device to pirate software and possibly collapse the platform.”