PSP GO Megathread - PSPGo is no more...

Jan 29, 2009
Whether it's labelled the PSP 4000 or the PSP 2, there's been a lot of rumour recently about an imminent successor to Sony's handheld console. There's also been a lot of talk about how Sony might react to the competition on offer from the phenomenal success of Apple's iPhone and iPod touch.

Unsurprisingly the console manufacturer has been comparatively mute in both cases, denying the existence of a PSP sequel and any threat from Apple. However, having spoken to an insider source – who's not Dave Perry, but is a developer working on the new hardware – we can reveal that the new handheld will arrive before Christmas and will be far more similar to the iPhone than the current device.

Like Apple's newcomer, the PSP 2 will be a compact device with a large touchscreen. However, where Sony's machine has the edge is when the touchscreen is slid open as it reveals familiar buttons, D-pads and – praise the Lord of Handhelds – dual analogue controls.

This new format should allow for both existing hardcore console titles as well as simpler touchscreen games along the lines of those currently available in the App Store. And like the App Store, (and in the absence of UMD), the games will all be available for digital download via the PlayStation Store.

Although this hasn't been confirmed, our speculation is that Sony's initial plans for a small upgrade to a PSP 4000 model have since been accelerated by the success of the iPhone and arrival of Nintendo DSi.

As yet those are all the details we have, but we understand the full specs and pricing will be unveiled at E3 in June.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/Playstation+Portable+2/news.asp?c=12612

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw a "mock up" of what they think the rumored psp2 will look like. If that's what it's gonna be like then count me in for one of those. It looks awesome. wish they would upgrade the music and video players as well. I've been thinking of buying an itouch but if this can provide both gaming and similar qualities to an itouch then I'll definitely pick this up instead. Love the rumor of dual thumbsticks. Bought my kid a psp and I don't really like to play it due to it only have one thumbstick.

youre never really looking at the player when you listen to music tho. and gaming will always be better on the psp

i say get both. i do love my touch..its no psp for gaming tho

youre never really looking at the player when you listen to music tho. and gaming will always be better on the psp

i say get both. i do love my touch..its no psp for gaming tho

Yeah, my iphone with games is lame, its just for a quick play, and the games are horrid, the psp games are 50x better, and I like my psp, its just that in a dorm room, my ps3 is right next to me, why play the psp... whereas in my house its nice having my psp upstairs so I can watch tv with the fam, and if I dont like whats on, play video games, but still be with the fam, instead of alienating myself.

The UK's PLAY Magazine published an article in their latest issue entitled:

The PSP2's Features (probably):

Flash Memory - 16GB flash memory would be the most sensible option for Sony to plump for, which would allow for a reasonable amount of games to be stored on the internal memory. Most games weigh in at well under half a gig of memory, so that would be a reasonable size to start with.

No UMD Drive - David Perry's main concern, as with many developers is to do with the UMD format. The loss of the, frankly useless, UMD format would work for everyone except retailers. No UMD would solve so many of the problems with the original console, including battery life, size & loading times.

Sliding Screen - Expanding the screen would have it's drawbacks for existing titles, but putting in a sliding, touck screen format would allow room for the consoles visual capabilities to really be seen. While you may think this is dangerous & flimsy, the technology is there and cheap enough.

Reworked Controls - One of the most contentious issues for PSP users is the controller layout, and the fact that a second analogue stick has never been included. Until now, that is. Changing the screen to a sliding format means that there's more space to reposition the controls, and perhaps include that second nub.

More Life - There will be a longer life battery for the PSP2, with the removal of the UMD dreive. It's not essential, but a mega lithium battery would be a big help.

THIS HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED AND WAS PUBLISHED IN THE LATEST EDITION OF THE UK PLAYSTATION MAGAZINE

as for the no umd/retailer complaint thing..i posted this somewhere else...

sony needs to install kiosks at the retailers where you can just slide your credit card and insert your memory stick and download right there. then it'll kick out a useless case for ya

solves every problem except the physical copy complaint

well its win-win for everyone. the retailers have a reason for gamers to go into their stores. and people who don't have broadband can still get their games

yeah i figure the price drop is too obvious of a rumor to even bother posting, but its in there too :p

UPDATE: We contacted Julie Han at Corporate Communications who thanked us for informing her that we will be running the story before responding “I don’t know who your source is, but Sony is not in the business of answering rumors.” I guess we shall see at E3 because that surely is NOT a denial on their part. More news if it comes in!

sounds like a yes-by-default-of-not-saying-no to me :scat: