PSP GO Megathread - PSPGo is no more...

Jan 29, 2009
Whether it's labelled the PSP 4000 or the PSP 2, there's been a lot of rumour recently about an imminent successor to Sony's handheld console. There's also been a lot of talk about how Sony might react to the competition on offer from the phenomenal success of Apple's iPhone and iPod touch.

Unsurprisingly the console manufacturer has been comparatively mute in both cases, denying the existence of a PSP sequel and any threat from Apple. However, having spoken to an insider source – who's not Dave Perry, but is a developer working on the new hardware – we can reveal that the new handheld will arrive before Christmas and will be far more similar to the iPhone than the current device.

Like Apple's newcomer, the PSP 2 will be a compact device with a large touchscreen. However, where Sony's machine has the edge is when the touchscreen is slid open as it reveals familiar buttons, D-pads and – praise the Lord of Handhelds – dual analogue controls.

This new format should allow for both existing hardcore console titles as well as simpler touchscreen games along the lines of those currently available in the App Store. And like the App Store, (and in the absence of UMD), the games will all be available for digital download via the PlayStation Store.

Although this hasn't been confirmed, our speculation is that Sony's initial plans for a small upgrade to a PSP 4000 model have since been accelerated by the success of the iPhone and arrival of Nintendo DSi.

As yet those are all the details we have, but we understand the full specs and pricing will be unveiled at E3 in June.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/Playstation+Portable+2/news.asp?c=12612

Last edited by a moderator:
PSP Dual Thumbstick Rumors
Buzz suggests the new Sony portable will have double the thumb fun.
by Chris Iaquinta

April 7, 2009 - It seems as if Sony's game consoles spend more time sucking up space in the rumor mill than any other system out there. From PS3 price cuts to PSP upgrades, we're constantly getting bombarded with "what if" possibilities, such as the new rumor we heard today that the next PSP will come with two thumbsticks.

According to Pocket Gamer, the dudes that originally spilled the beans on the fabled PSP sliding touchscreen, the next generation PSP will not only include the moving screen, but will also have two analog thumbsticks. More and more it appears that the upcoming PSP may look a lot like the conceptual prototype that has been making rounds on the Internet. Pocket Gamer also says that the units UMD format will be abandoned in favor of digital downloads, effectively making it more like an iPhone than the former PSP model.

So when will we know? Well, Pocket Gamer is confident that availability, info and pricing will all be released this June at the E3 expo in Los Angeles, so expect a full platter of PSP coverage from IGN during the show, should the next PSP make an appearance. Are you digging the dual thumbsticks? Share your comments below.

psp-dual-thumbstick-rumors-20090407032159689.jpg

ok so bear with me here...

there was a rumor back in november about how imagination technology was being used to power the next psp. said chipset would be able to handle OpenGL ES v2.0.

fast forward to now, there is word that the new iphone is going to support OpenGL ES v2.0 in the 3.0 firmware. which would be useless unless they were adding new hardware.

what are the chances that both sony AND apple are using the same/similar hardware?? EEK!

lets say they are..this is awesome news, as this will mean awesome video and awesome video games

Just saw a "mock up" of what they think the rumored psp2 will look like. If that's what it's gonna be like then count me in for one of those. It looks awesome. wish they would upgrade the music and video players as well. I've been thinking of buying an itouch but if this can provide both gaming and similar qualities to an itouch then I'll definitely pick this up instead. Love the rumor of dual thumbsticks. Bought my kid a psp and I don't really like to play it due to it only have one thumbstick.