Question for the home theater audio experts here

zeebeer

(<>____<>)
Premium Supporter
Apr 3, 2020
The Netherlands/Finland
Hello, I've got a question about my audio setup, I'm not very good with all the tech stuff etc, but I hope someone who has more knowledge of this can help me.

First off all, my setup consists of a Ps4, plugged into my TV through HDMI. The TV is plugged into my 2.0 soundbar through an optical cable. The soundbar handles Dolby Digit and Dts sound, the TV only handles Dolby Digital.

I noticed that I can switch my ps4 audio format to Pcm or Bitstream. I've read that I have to put it to bitstream if I want to get all 5 channels through the optical cable, but since the soundbar is just stereo, shouldn't I just leave it in Pcm since there is less compression through pcm (however Dolby Atmos doesn't work with pcm but does with bitstream) ?I'm not sure since a lot of people on reddit said that for movies bitstream is better, but I have no idea why.

And then my TV has two formats for audio out, 'Stereo' and 'Multichannel'. I assume the stereo format is basically 2.0 pcm and multichannel format is Bitstream?, What would give the best sound? I'm unsure if standard 2.0 sound or down mixed surround sound would be better.

What I think is the best is ps4 settings to bitstream, tv setting to stereo. I hope someone could confirm this, or if not, explain what is the best to do and why.
Sorry for the long story. Hope someone can help me out.

Reactions: Stygian
Optical audio connections support the following audio formats:

• Lossless 2.0 (stereo) PCM audio
  • Compressed 2.0/5.1/7.1 Dolby Digital or DTS
Personally I'd go with bitstream over PCM in your situation since your using a soundbar over optical. If you had a TV and soundbar that's supports ARC (HDMI Audio Return Cable) then I'd use it instead since HDMI can handle all audio formats.

Reactions: zeebeer
Personally I'd go with bitstream over PCM in your situation since your using a soundbar over optical. If you had a TV and soundbar that's supports ARC (HDMI Audio Return Cable) then I'd use it instead since HDMI can handle all audio formats.
Thanks for the help, that's what I thought too. Actually this made me decide that I'm going to upgrade to a modern HDMI soundbar that decodes all audio formats with no issues, so I'll get rid of the limitations of optical soon :thumbs: :happy:

Thanks for the help, that's what I thought too. Actually this made me decide that I'm going to upgrade to a modern HDMI soundbar that decodes all audio formats with no issues, so I'll get rid of the limitations of optical soon :thumbs: :happy:
Might I suggest THIS one by Polk Audio, bought it 2 months ago for the office/game room tv where seperate speakers were just not an option. Sounds fantastic.

Might I suggest THIS one by Polk Audio, bought it 2 months ago for the office/game room tv where seperate speakers were just not an option. Sounds fantastic.
Thanks for the suggestion! However I think I'll go with the LG DSN7Y since that one decodes all sound formats including dolby atmos and dts x and its similarly priced. I know a soundbar won't give me the same atmos effect as a 7.1 set up but I only have room for a soundbar so this seems like the best affordable option for me. Thanks again for the help!

Oh by the way, do you happen to know if a PS4 can bitstream dolby atmos audio to a soundbar that can decode it? I know a ps4 can't decode it by itself but I'm wondering if it could just bitstream it to a soundbar that can decode it.

Thanks for the suggestion! However I think I'll go with the LG DSN7Y since that one decodes all sound formats including dolby atmos and dts x and its similarly priced. I know a soundbar won't give me the same atmos effect as a 7.1 set up but I only have room for a soundbar so this seems like the best affordable option for me. Thanks again for the help!
You inspired me, I felt that I also needed a soundbar that supported Dolby Atmos and just bought the LG SN8YG 3.1.2 Channel High Res Audio Soundbar with Dolby Atmos. I guess I made a poor buying decision on the Polk soundbar, oh well lesson learned. I'll just sell it on Craigslist. Later on if I feel I need more immersion in the soundfield I'll also buy the LG SPK8-S 2.0 Channel Sound Bar Wireless Rear Speaker Kit that compliments the soundbar. I guess you can tell I've been doing my research. :D

You inspired me, I felt that I also needed a soundbar that supported Dolby Atmos and just bought the LG SN8YG 3.1.2 Channel High Res Audio Soundbar with Dolby Atmos. I guess I made a poor buying decision on the Polk soundbar, oh well lesson learned. I'll just sell it on Craigslist. Later on if I feel I need more immersion in the soundfield I'll also buy the LG SPK8-S 2.0 Channel Sound Bar Wireless Rear Speaker Kit that compliments the soundbar. I guess you can tell I've been doing my research. :D
Nice! Seems like a very good set up. I think I'm going to go for Sony in the end since LGs low priced Soundbars like the sn7y apparently ain't that good, but I've read good things about the sn8yg and I'm sure it will make for a great atmos experience with the rear speakers:thumbs:

Reactions: Lone Crusader
Nice! Seems like a very good set up. I think I'm going to go for Sony in the end since LGs low priced Soundbars like the sn7y apparently ain't that good, but I've read good things about the sn8yg and I'm sure it will make for a great atmos experience with the rear speakers:thumbs:
Actually the Sony HT-G700: 3.1CH Dolby Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar was my first choice on this new picking but the LG won me over because it got better reviews on Amazon and YouTube but not by much. Plus not to mention, my TV is an LG so it makes sense to keep it in the family.

Actually the Sony HT-G700: 3.1CH Dolby Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar was my first choice on this new picking but the LG won me over because it got better reviews on Amazon and YouTube but not by much. Plus not to mention, my TV is an LG so it makes sense to keep it in the family.
Haha, that's the one I'm going for:LOL:, will be able to get it for €250 so for me it's a better deal than the LG (which is €200 more here). Hope you enjoy yours!:)

Haha, that's the one I'm going for:LOL:, will be able to get it for 250 EUR (300 USD) so for me it's a better deal than the LG (which is 200 EUR (240 USD) more here). Hope you enjoy yours!:)
mhmm... After a little more digging and research that LG soundbar doesn't have a dedicated center channel speaker which killed it for me, what a shame LG would not put one in. Although my first pick, the Sony HT-G700 does have a dedicated center channel speaker and there's only a $1 difference between the LG and the Sony so no big deal there. Also I'm not sure yet but I might just shell out the extra money and just get the Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite which has two 10" subs and a pair of dedicated surround speakers and badass remote too but it's $1000...ouch. All the reviews say it's one of the best out there but this is only for my office/game room TV so a decision I need to make is if I want to shell out that much money just for a soundbar.

mhmm... After a little more digging and research that LG soundbar doesn't have a dedicated center channel speaker which killed it for me, what a shame LG would not put one in. Although my first pick, the Sony HT-G700 does have a dedicated center channel speaker and there's only a $1 difference between the LG and the Sony so no big deal there. Also I'm not sure yet but I might just shell out the extra money and just get the Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite which has two 10" subs and a pair of dedicated surround speakers and badass remote too but it's $1000...ouch. All the reviews say it's one of the best out there but this is only for my office/game room TV so a decision I need to make is if I want to shell out that much money just for a soundbar.
Oh I didn't know that either, for that price it really should have one IMO. I don't know how big that room is but personally I wouldn't spend that much on the Nakachimi if it's not your main movie watching room.

I actually picked up the Sony HT-G700 today, the deal was only active til tomorrow so I decided to use some funds originally meant for a new tv. Only had time to set it up and test it for 5 minutes, apparently the PS4 is able to bitstream Dolby Atmos audio so I'm really pleased with that!

In terms of performance I can't really give an opinion yet, but the napalm scene from Apocalypse Now sounded brutal. In those 5 minutes I didn't really hear a surround effect yet but I still have to dive into the settings a bit and my movie watching room is just approx. 3 by 2 meters with a diagonal roof so I don't think I'll ever be able to get proper virtual surround there anyways. I'll let you know tomorrow after more testing if I'd really recommend it.

Oh I didn't know that either, for that price it really should have one IMO. I don't know how big that room is but personally I wouldn't spend that much on the Nakachimi if it's not your main movie watching room.

I actually picked up the Sony HT-G700 today, the deal was only active til tomorrow so I decided to use some funds originally meant for a new tv. Only had time to set it up and test it for 5 minutes, apparently the PS4 is able to bitstream Dolby Atmos audio so I'm really pleased with that!

In terms of performance I can't really give an opinion yet, but the napalm scene from Apocalypse Now sounded brutal. In those 5 minutes I didn't really hear a surround effect yet but I still have to dive into the settings a bit and my movie watching room is just approx. 3 by 2 meters with a diagonal roof so I don't think I'll ever be able to get proper virtual surround there anyways. I'll let you know tomorrow after more testing if I'd really recommend it.
Upon further research I popped on over to the LG website and according to the specs, it does have a center channel speaker. Only one video review mentions it not having a dedicated center channel speaker. I thought it strange too that both Sony & Samsung soundbars both have center channel speakers. But now I'm looking at the LG SN9YG 5.1.2 soundbar and I think I've located one for a little more than the SN8YG 3.1.2 so I might go for it. I tell you what, searching and researching all this stuff is hard. :wtf:

Upon further research I popped on over to the LG website and according to the specs, it does have a center channel speaker. Only one video review mentions it not having a dedicated center channel speaker. I thought it strange too that both Sony & Samsung soundbars both have center channel speakers. But now I'm looking at the LG SN9YG 5.1.2 soundbar and I think I've located one for a little more than the SN8YG 3.1.2 so I might go for it. I tell you what, searching and researching all this stuff is hard.
If you're getting a more expensive one anyway, wouldn't it be a better option to go for Sony or Samsung? I noticed that they get better reviews on sites like whathifi etc, and some people on reddit told me that they've had a lot of problems with LG soundbars. Don't have experience with them so I have no idea myself but I'd personally go with a company that has a better track record with sounbars.
Yep, I absolutely hate researching tech stuff too, but usually it's worth it!;)

If you're getting a more expensive one anyway, wouldn't it be a better option to go for Sony or Samsung? I noticed that they get better reviews on sites like whathifi etc, and some people on reddit told me that they've had a lot of problems with LG soundbars. Don't have experience with them so I have no idea myself but I'd personally go with a company that has a better track record with sounbars.
Yep, I absolutely hate researching tech stuff too, but usually it's worth it!;)
Well I've looked at a LOT of soundbars and even looked at all of Sony's and Samsung's and there's a lot of things to consider. My 55" LG UJ7700 only has ARC not eARC and it doesn't have passthrough for Dolby Atmos or DTS:X so what that means is that my PS5 and my Roku Ultra 2020 have to be connected direct into the soundbar via HDMI and not the TV. Finding a soundbar that has 1 HDMI ARC/eARC input and 2 additional HDMI inputs puts me in for a higher tier soundbar meaning the more expensive ones. For Sony the one I'd have to get would be their ST5000 which is $1500 which is their flagship model and I can't afford that. For Samsung the lowest model with 1 eARC and 2 regular HDMI's would be the Q900T which is $1150... still too much. Although the Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite 7.2.4 has 1 HDMI ARC and 3 HDMI inputs which would work but it's usually $1000 but I found one on sale for $650. :thanks: :D All I need is for the soundbar to passthrough to the TV Dolby Vision and HDR which the Nakamichi will, the Atmos and DTS:X would be processed by the soundbar. You see what I mean, this sh!t is complicated. Now I just have to wait for my tax return to be deposited into my account which should be any day now and I can buy the Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite. I'm glad I have this narrowed down now...wheeeew!

So how does your Sony sound?

Well I've looked at a LOT of soundbars and even looked at all of Sony's and Samsung's and there's a lot of things to consider. My 55" LG UJ7700 only has ARC not eARC and it doesn't have passthrough for Dolby Atmos or DTS:X so what that means is that my PS5 and my Roku Ultra 2020 have to be connected direct into the soundbar via HDMI and not the TV. Finding a soundbar that has 1 HDMI ARC/eARC input and 2 additional HDMI inputs puts me in for a higher tier soundbar meaning the more expensive ones. For Sony the one I'd have to get would be their ST5000 which is $1500 which is their flagship model and I can't afford that. For Samsung the lowest model with 1 eARC and 2 regular HDMI's would be the Q900T which is $1150... still too much. Although the Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite 7.2.4 has 1 HDMI ARC and 3 HDMI inputs which would work but it's usually $1000 but I found one on sale for $650. :thanks: :D All I need is for the soundbar to passthrough to the TV Dolby Vision and HDR which the Nakamichi will, the Atmos and DTS:X would be processed by the soundbar. You see what I mean, this sh!t is complicated. Now I just have to wait for my tax return to be deposited into my account which should be any day now and I can buy the Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite. I'm glad I have this narrowed down now...wheeeew!

So how does your Sony sound?
Hearing that I understand your frustration! I only need one hdmi input so I have it a lot easier fortunately. 650 is more than a great price for the nakachimi, if the reviews are right it'll probably be a lot better than Soundbars in that price range.

The Sony sounds very good with atmos audio (considering it's a soundbar and not a 7.1 set up) and having the option for different virtual surround modes is really nice but I feel that all of the surround settings struggle a bit with DTS audio although they handle Dolby truehd good. Overall for €250 I really can't complain as the performance is very cinematic powerful. The nakachimi will blow it out of the park though, no doubt! Enjoy it, let me know what you think about it once you've got it!

Well I finally took the plunge and bought the Crème de la Crème of soundbars, the Sonos Arc with sub and will be getting a pair of One SL's for the surrounds. Only thing is that it's backordered till April 9th, so I have a little wait. Man that thing is expensive, I could buy a LG 55CX HDTV for the same price as I paid for the Arc and sub. So stoked now! And if I can gather the funds up I'll also get the LG 55CX to replace the TV here in the office to go with the Arc. So it's a plan in motion. :thanks:

Well I finally took the plunge and bought the Crème de la Crème of soundbars, the Sonos Arc with sub and will be getting a pair of One SL's for the surrounds. Only thing is that it's backordered till April 9th, so I have a little wait. Man that thing is expensive, I could buy a LG 55CX HDTV for the same price as I paid for the Arc and sub. So stoked now! And if I can gather the funds up I'll also get the LG 55CX to replace the TV here in the office to go with the Arc. So it's a plan in motion. :thanks:
Sorry for the late reply, only just saw this.

Congrats! The arc seems like a great option and that TV will bring it to a new level! I'm still stuck on a 1080p TV but I'm gonna upgrade to 4k after the summer (I hope).

I LOVE my LG 700 Soundbar + 700 Sub + 700 Wireless Surround Speakers. It looks the nicest with the glass top and all aluminum bodies and have never had a single problem.

my question: I want the new Apple iPad Max overear headphones in blue bc every review raves about the surround sound while watching movies even stating it approximates Dolby Atmos (as mush as could expected from speakers). Not buying these for music.

My concern:
I haven’t seen compatibility listed for my LG or Sony OLEDS or even my Samsung QLED Q90 or my older Samsung SUHD JS9500 which I use for 3D. Doesn’t mention compatibility with my Bose 700 system, SONOS or Yamahama Soundbar set-up.

Am I going to shell out $550 for headphones that won’t work with ANY of my home cinema?

Jeremy