Rare DVD Steelbooks

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hi All, since there are 100's of DVD Steelbooks, I thought we could add a thread for "rare" DVD Steels.

Feel free to chime in:scat:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: sutti69
As a new collector, I've been trying to research certain titles that I want... of course, most of them have been retired for several years and I may never get them into my collection. Does anybody have a theory as to which older titles may eventually be released again - and where?

As a new collector, I've been trying to research certain titles that I want... of course, most of them have been retired for several years and I may never get them into my collection. Does anybody have a theory as to which older titles may eventually be released again - and where?

If you mean re-released again on DVD I very much doubt it. The market has moved on to mostly Blu-ray now for Steelbooks.

Reactions: BArtagnan
If you mean re-released again on DVD I very much doubt it. The market has moved on to mostly Blu-ray now for Steelbooks.

Thanks but I should have been more specific. :D My original post referred to Blu-Ray Steelbooks. I was wondering if anybody had an opinion about whether some of the old Steelbooks (whether they are regular DVD or Blu_ray) would be re-issued as a Blu-Ray Steelbook? The price of some of these older titles (i.e. - Pirates of the Caribbean - Curse of the Black Pearl for $100) is a bit cost-prohibitive for me. It would also be nice if some of the European titles are eventually released in the United States.

Thanks but I should have been more specific. :D My original post referred to Blu-Ray Steelbooks. I was wondering if anybody had an opinion about whether some of the old Steelbooks (whether they are regular DVD or Blu_ray) would be re-issued as a Blu-Ray Steelbook? The price of some of these older titles (i.e. - Pirates of the Caribbean - Curse of the Black Pearl for $100) is a bit cost-prohibitive for me. It would also be nice if some of the European titles are eventually released in the United States.

Ok I see what you mean now! Yes a lot of titles do get re-released but its not something that a lot of collectors like. They pay a lot of money to get a rare Steelbook so they don't want a re-release coming out at a third of the price. I understand what you are saying, as a new collector it can be a bit daunting looking at some of the price tags on older steelbooks.
A lot of titles that are released in Europe are exclusive to the retailers so it would be unlikely that they will be released in other places. Once you reach 30 posts you will have access to the trading forum where members hold group buys for various steelbooks. This may help you obtaining steels from other countries at near cost price.

Arrived today, I don't know if this one is a rare or not, But it took me a long time to find one for my RZ collection.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DR 001.jpg
    DR 001.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 279
I popped up my old Conan the Barbarian UK definitive edition on ebay.ie for a cheap ass starting bid along with some sealed blu steels. I had no interest in the blu's but immediately there were 3 watchers and a bid on Conan. I did some looking around and I saw it for 46 quid elsewhere and another high price somewhere. Does anyone know if these are in fact rare?

The following are the UK Dvd SteelBooks that I believe to be rare or sought after (although demand may have shifted now that some have since been released as Blu-Ray SteelBooks):

Apocalypto
Appleseed
Appleseed: Ex Machina
Beowulf
Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls
Casshern
Cloverfield
Day Watch
Die Hard 4.0
Eragon
Fantastic 4: Rise Of The Silver Surfer
From Hell
Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society
Iron Man
Manowar: Magic Circle Festival Vol. 2
Night Watch
Rambo (Aka, John Rambo)
Red Dwarf X
Romanzo Criminale
Scum
Silent Hill
Sin City
Stereophonics - Rewind
The Company Of Wolves
The Day The Earth Stood Still
The Fly
The Godfather Trilogy
The Lives Of Others
The Machine Girl
Transformers
Valley Of The Dolls
Vexille
Voltron

The above list includes many titles which I found particularly difficult to get hold of shortly after they were released - Especially those which were exclusive to PLAY.com or HMV. Some of the FOX / MGM Cinema Classics set are also becoming quite hard to find, as are some of the more obscure titles like Manowar and Stereophonics

Also, a UK Dvd SteelBook release that a lot of people overlook when going for a complete UK set is Easy Car Maintenance - Not that I would call it a rarity, but is quite obscure and something I bet hardly anyone here will have bothered to pick up for their collection ;)

Last edited:
yeah i have easy car maintenence, just messaged you to ask if you had that one.

manowar though isnt considered a uk steelbook. it was sold in the uk by hmv and amazon but its actually a german import with german ratings logo on the back. ive not seen a uk version. if it does exist then i guess im one short!

yeah i have easy car maintenence, just messaged you to ask if you had that one.

manowar though isnt considered a uk steelbook. it was sold in the uk by hmv and amazon but its actually a german import with german ratings logo on the back. ive not seen a uk version. if it does exist then i guess im one short!

Ok, that's interesting to know. That's probably why I have struggled to find it, and I'm guessing not all HMV stores stocked it. I have mistakenly bought import CD's from HMV before, and sometimes they tend to not mark them as imports. Also, being a music Dvd it should be exempt from British classifications, and I usually use the BBFC ratings to determine whether a release is a proper UK release rather than an import

I'll be sure to make a note of this, and may strike it off my list of needed UK releases