[Far above the moon]
Premium Supporter
Nov 26, 2017
Finland
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Rebecca (2020)

Genre: Romance, Drama, Mystery

Director: Ben Wheatley

Cast: Armie Hammer, Lily James, Kristin Scott Thomas, Ann Dowd, Keeley Hawes, Sam Riley, Ben Crompton

Release: 2020-12-31

Plot: The story follows a newly married young woman who, upon arriving at her husband’s imposing family estate on a bleak English coast, finds herself battling the shadow of his deceased first wife, the mysterious Rebecca, whose legacy continues to haunt the house.

Long after being notably adapted in 1940 by Alfred Hitchcock, Daphne du Maurier’s gothic novel Rebecca is now getting a brand new adaptation, with Ben Wheatley (Kill List, High Rise) directing for Netflix and Working Title. Kristin Scott Thomas, Armie Hammer and Lily James (Baby Driver) were recently set to star, and four more have joined the cast this week.

Deadline reports that Bodyguard’s Keeley Hawes, The Handmaid’s Tale’s Ann Dowd (above), Control’s Sam Riley and Game of Thrones’ Ben Crompton have all signed on.

Jane Goldman is writing the screenplay, with the story following a newly married young woman who, upon arriving at her husband’s imposing family estate on a bleak English coast, finds herself battling the shadow of his deceased first wife, the mysterious Rebecca, whose legacy continues to haunt the house.

Working Title’s Eric Fellner and Tim Bevan will produce along with Nira Park.

Yep, i do think there are times when a film is just so good, a remake is a waste of time. Robocop anyone?
And yes I'm aware that films like The A fistful of Dollars, the Magnificent Seven and Star Wars and a few others i could mention are technically remakes but they are films than stand up on their own merit and the average punter wouldn't be aware they are remakes or variants on a theme.

I can tell you now it won't even be in the same league as the 1940's classic....... I said the same about the Ben Hur remake. I have very very little faith in modern films. I personally think modern film making has lost something. I can't put my finger on what it is but 9 times out of ten now when i see a modern film I go "Seriously that got praised to the hilt?, did i miss something here".

I can tell you now it won't even be in the same league as the 1940's classic....... I said the same about the Ben Hur remake. I have very very little faith in modern films. I personally think modern film making has lost something. I can't put my finger on what it is but 9 times out of ten now when i see a modern film I go "Seriously that got praised to the hilt?, did i miss something here".

I feel you. Note : I did not even watch Ben Hur remake. Knew it would suck.

But.

There are times one can/might give a chance.

Note II : I hate modern Hwood hit movies. Loved Under the Silver Lake.

Wheatley is one of the most divisive directors I've ever come across... some of his films I find to be crap, but then others absolute genius! I'll be checking this out for sure. :D

Most people lack the attention span nowadays, hence remakes such as Ben Hur (which I have no intention of ever watching FYI) that are senseless action with no real/interesting plot or characters.

However, I have complete faith in Wheatley to do this justice... I doubt he would've accepted the job if he didn't believe he could. That's not to say that it could still turn out to be bad though, but I'm at least going to give it a chance, as folks should with anything IMO.

Trouble is it’s hard not to be influenced by the original It’s rare a director does their own version and makes the new version a success The only 3 I can think of are John Carpenters The Thing The 80s Blob sand the 1979 Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Trouble is it’s hard not to be influenced by the original It’s rare a director does their own version and makes the new version a success The only 3 I can think of are John Carpenters The Thing The 80s Blob sand the 1979 Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Cape Fear, Bram Stoker's Dracula, The Manchurian Candidate, Oceans Eleven, 12 Monkeys, Scarface etc etc ...IMO ...

Big fan of the original and one of my favourites by The Master from any of his periods . . . certainly took an age to get back to the classic Daphne du Maurier novel and maybe about time for a new and modern take on the age-old 'study of jealousy' story . . . could be v. interesting especially if we get flashbacks to Rebecca's relationship with Maxim and if Lily James's character is updated to something that a modern audience can relate to . . .

1559401137223.png
1559401105256.png
1559402804908.png
1559402345108.png

... and as the writer's son said recently ...
1559403398351.png
... but who knows?

Last edited:
Reactions: Space Cadet
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database