[Far above the moon]
Premium Supporter
Nov 26, 2017
Finland
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Rebecca (2020)

Genre: Romance, Drama, Mystery

Director: Ben Wheatley

Cast: Armie Hammer, Lily James, Kristin Scott Thomas, Ann Dowd, Keeley Hawes, Sam Riley, Ben Crompton

Release: 2020-12-31

Plot: The story follows a newly married young woman who, upon arriving at her husband’s imposing family estate on a bleak English coast, finds herself battling the shadow of his deceased first wife, the mysterious Rebecca, whose legacy continues to haunt the house.

The dreaded words “relating to a modern audience” Translated dumbed down and virtue signalling galore

You make it sound like people back in the day were more intellectual and now we, us, inc. I - want simpelton watered down movies. Disagree. Some maybe, not all. High horse and all that ...

Not high horse. I find most modern movies (not all) dumb and crass. All style and no substance. Ask say any of my nieces or nephews to watch an old film. If it's older than 5 years or the dreaded "black and white" it's unwatchable. Hell or high Water couldn't make them watch it. I also get fed up with the "Astonishing, wow" reviews of films that are treading old ground and not even doing a better job. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a superb comedy or thriller in the cinema. And yes I do think people of years ago were more intelligent. They were better schooled and had more insight on life than people do today. Yes it's only MY OPINION. I don't expect to confirm to anyone else. It could be an age thing but I'm finding less and less to enjoy with modern films and TV. I genuinely think it's an off shoot of the MTV generation in which sound bites are more important than anything else.

• Thanks
Reactions: Space Cadet
Everyone's entitled to their opinion of course but it's a fallacy to say that things have dumbed down in the modern age. . . . if anything people are more enlightened now, more tolerant and more open-minded and I wouldn't blame a modern audience going back in time to say the 1970s and watching an evening of TV squirm with embarrassment at the content on display with racist jokes, blacking up and comedians like Bernard Manning just being downright offensive. OK, maybe it was "alright in the '70s" but it sure ain't alright now.
As for education, I'm sure anyone who goes to public school today is just as well educated, if not better educated, than I was in the '70s with a wider knowledge content than was on offer to me at the time.
As for modern films not being up to par that's not my feeling at all . . . THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, GLADIATOR, SE7EN, AMERICAN GANGSTER, all the TOY STORY films, WALL-E, JERRY MAGUIRE, THE FUGITIVE, KILL BIL 1 & 2, AMERICAN BEAUTY, THE TERMINAL, IN BRUGES, THE TRUMAN SHOW, THE GREEN MILE, THE SIXTH SENSE, AMERICAN HISTORY X, DIE HARD, THE TERMINATOR 1 & 2, LEON, PREDATOR, LOST IN TRANSLATION, COLLATERAL, CATCH ME IF YOU CAN, GONE BABY GONE, ABOUT A BOY, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, STAND BY ME (not counting a host of foreign language films) are just a small selection of modern-ish films that should stand the test of time and are definitely not all "dumb".

Everyone's entitled to their opinion of course but it's a fallacy to say that things have dumbed down in the modern age. . . . if anything people are more enlightened now, more tolerant and more open-minded and I wouldn't blame a modern audience going back in time to say the 1970s and watching an evening of TV squirm with embarrassment at the content on display with racist jokes, blacking up and comedians like Bernard Manning just being downright offensive. OK, maybe it was "alright in the '70s" but it sure ain't alright now.

I would say people are less enlightened, less tolerant and less open minded. Disagree with the "Modern mindset or opinion" and you're vilified on the internet wether it's twitter or facebook. Try disagreeing with the "mainstream" of opinion in any area and you're treated with destain. No debate or any attempt to have a conversation. I see it so much now, it's the new through police in all but name.... We're getting to the stage were the old Soviet Union is looking tame by comparison..

As for education, I'm sure anyone who goes to public school today is just as well educated, if not better educated, than I was in the '70s with a wider knowledge content than was on offer to me at the time.
As for modern films not being up to par that's not my feeling at all . . . THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, GLADIATOR, SE7EN, AMERICAN GANGSTER, all the TOY STORY films, WALL-E, JERRY MAGUIRE, THE FUGITIVE, KILL BIL 1 & 2, AMERICAN BEAUTY, THE TERMINAL, IN BRUGES, THE TRUMAN SHOW, THE GREEN MILE, THE SIXTH SENSE, AMERICAN HISTORY X, DIE HARD, THE TERMINATOR 1 & 2, LEON, PREDATOR, LOST IN TRANSLATION, COLLATERAL, CATCH ME IF YOU CAN, GONE BABY GONE, ABOUT A BOY, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, STAND BY ME (not counting a host of foreign language films) are just a small selection of modern-ish films that should stand the test of time and are definitely not all "dumb".

Trumpian America ?

Reactions: virkia
Evening of TV squirm with embarrassment at the content on display with racist jokes, blacking up and comedians like Bernard Manning just being downright offensive. OK, maybe it was "alright in the '70s" but it sure ain't alright now.
You make the assumption that stuff like I assume you are talking about the Wheeltappers and Shunters Club or Mind Your Language was tolerated then. It wasn't. Most people then found it just as offensive then as they do now. The difference is that such material is now limited (if allowed) to home video or to have a pop at older generations to say they were less enlightened or tolerant. "Hey I'm a 20 something vastly superior being to early generations because I'm so woke etc..... " You get the picture on that one. I certainly didn't like any of that stuff when I was growing up but none said or did anything about it. It certainly carried on until the early 80's and it was really the 90's before what I can only call post war progamming began to die. The reason I think is simply because people who like me disliked it were now in charge of TV and could put it to bed. Now I think we have went to far and extreme were everyone can be offended by anyone and anything and TV companies in particular overreact to the point were 90% of programming pre-80's is virtually banned. Ask Talking pictures, they are getting hauled over the coals nearly every week now for a lot of the content they show...... The overreaction to a certain Laurel and Hardy short a few months back was unreal........ I personally can't get annoyed. Why?. It's off it's time. No point in trying to airbrush the past. It's censorship no mater how much you try to pretend it didn't exist. Now where did I put that episode of The Black and White Minstrel show with Lenny Henry?

Trumpian America ?
1599588575766.png

Watched this last night and loved it. I’m a huge Wheatley fan and I was a bit worried when this and tomb raider was announced because he’s such a gritty and obscure low budget director. Even still with high rise and free fire. I’m glad even with a bigger budget and production he’s kept his same style and eerie moments in editing. I highly recommend. Then again I’m not a fan of the Hitchcock version....... and I don’t care who that annoys

Reactions: vexred