Space Cadet

[ sexy wolfchild ]
BANNED
Premium Supporter
Nov 26, 2017
2.71 star(s) Rating: 2.71/5 7 Votes
Title: Rebel Moon

Director: Zack Snyder

Plot: When a peaceful colony on the edge of the galaxy is threatened by the armies of the tyrannical Regent Balisarius, the desperate people dispatch a young woman with a mysterious past to seek out warriors from neighboring planets to helm them make a stand.

I haven't been this excited for any new production in years, and was afraid it wouldn't live up to my high expectations, but from the beginning I felt similar, to when I was watching sci-fi movies as a child, be it Aliens or Ewoks. Add some Eric Serra music, and I'd have felt like during The Fifth Element as a teenager.
I love that it takes the time to show pretty sights, like a character looking at the view at dusk, and lets us soak in its atmosphere. It nicely and precisely introduces its characters, just enough that you understand who they are and what they represent in a matter of minutes.
I like how a robot with AI is more humane, than some actual people.
In regards to some green screen scenes and CGI - I'm the first to point that as a detractor, but only in crappy movies *cough*Marvel*cough*, that rely only on 'spectacle', without even understanding that a good emotional build up and underlying story will make one love a scene even with bad graphics, and it will not matter without that story even if special effects are 'amazing'. It doesn't work like that in humans, we perceive things on multiple levels as a whole, and are impressed by subtle elements.
Plus I grew up on series like Lexx and Farscape, with PC game level graphics and puppets. But this looked great without any discounts.

It's like Firefly assembling the eclectic team via Sucker Punch dream battles/worlds, with Kora in place of Killjoys' Yaleena against a fascist European rave junkie looking 'Vader' with a Negan bat-stick.
It's better than Lord of the Rings, if you agree that LotR would be best with spaceships, guns, and slo-mo!
And yes, it's like Star Wars, even has a sequence at a pirate trade depot 'in the clouds', only it's way better than all the sequels, and even the prequels.
I've referenced the best sci-fi titles throughout, because yes, it's that good.

P.S. One small wish would be for more bloody killings, but I know that'll be fulfilled in an R-rated alternate cut.

P.P.S. I want a cool Kora poster to hang next to my Sever from Ballistic, and Violet from Ultraviolet. :thumbs: :smuggrin:

Thought it was an absolute p.o.s. to be honest. Already hated army of the dead, no idea what snyder is doing lately. Watchmen is one of my favourite films of all time. Love all of his other movies except for sucker punch. But still, no clue what he is doing these last few movies. His scripts feel like they were written by a teenager who thinks he has great movie ideas when he is only ripping off star wars. Heard that he is already preparing part 3, I'll probably not even watch part 2 tbh. Real shame that one of the most visionary modern filmmakers now makes low tier straight to television movies.

Edit: I'll admit though, the scene with the enemy ship at the end with the side canon was pretty cool visually.

Reactions: TheWildEye
Just finished as well. it has a generic tv movie feel to it for me, but wasn't disappointed by that. i accepted it for what it was with none of that comparing it to what the director has done before or what is expected of him. that fanboy vs nonfanboy contigent has no place in film criticism and it's what i get from the reviews i have seen.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
Love all of his other movies except for sucker punch.
Therein lies the problem - gotta love Sucker Punch to like this one. And preferably everything else I mentioned. It is taking bits from many prior films and TV series, but like a good cook makes a really great dish out of 'old known ingredients'.

Therein lies the problem - gotta love Sucker Punch to like this one. And preferably everything else I mentioned. It is taking bits from many prior films and TV series, but like a good cook makes a really great dish out of 'old known ingredients'.
My feelings exactly. I was going to say how derivative it felt to me. I get that it’s partly an homage to Star Wars, but I could see Zack pulling from a number of other franchises and it pulled me out of the experience time and time again. Wanted to like it, but… meh. 6/10?

An absolute stinker.
Will sweep the board at the Razzies come Feb/Mar next year.
Charlie Hunnams Space Pirate from Northern Ireland says it all really. What were they thinking?
The script...dear God!
Only gigantic hollywood egos could possibly assume this mess was a good idea.
Shares a seat on the same Sci-Fi shelf as Battlefield Earth, After Earth and Jupiter Ascending.
One of the worst and disappointing films of the year imo.
It couldn't be a bad as the critics say...could it?
Emphatically. Yes.
Laughably bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noodles and Vega
An absolute stinker.
Will sweep the board at the Razzies come Feb/Mar next year.
Shares a seat on the same Sci-Fi shelf as Battlefield Earth, After Earth and Jupiter Ascending.
Laughably bad.
MeanCompressed.gif

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheWildEye
My god this was terrible. Almost as bad as Army of the Dead, if not worse! Snyder has properly fallen off the rails for me these past few years. Think he peaked with Watchmen and Man of Steel unfortunately.

My god this was terrible. Almost as bad as Army of the Dead, if not worse! Snyder has properly fallen off the rails for me these past few years. Think he peaked with Watchmen and Man of Steel unfortunately.
so you didnt get good taste for christmas, sry to hear :(

movie is great... cant wait for part 2 and the director's cut versions.