Feb 28, 2011
UK
Released: October 26, 2018 Spring 2018 Fall 2017
Purchase:
Zavvi
PS4 - Amazon USA
XBox One - Amazon USA

1.jpg2.jpg

Developed by the creators of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland. The game’s vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience.

kisspng-red-dead-redemption-2-grand-theft-auto-v-rockstar-5b3fbdbb2fcf38.5473842515309039951958.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: bloodsnake007
Wait, did it really take that long? The setup honestly only felt about 20 mins to me, as I was so engrossed in the story lol. This is definitely one of those games though... by the time you know it, a whole day has passed!

I saw that money glitch shared on social media yesterday, but I've decided to avoid it... I made the mistake of using similar exploits with games before and it took the fun/challenge out of it IMO.

To reach Chapter 2 took a couple of hours yeah.. I may have wandered a little but not much through the opening period.

As for people who are not feeling the game right now.. I dunno what to tell you, just might not be for you. This is an immersive cowboy sim.. a cinematic adventure really far more than most other games and the pace reflects that. It's never really going to fully ramp up and become GTA I don't think. Most of the best moments thus far to me are in the random events that just happen when you're out on the trail.. listening to an old guy's sob story, seeing what unfolds when you follow a drunk guy home or happening upon a party being thrown back at camp. The amount of dialogue and 'getting to know you' moments with the gang is crazy.. it never feels like canned content that's repeated like so many other games. You'll get a chance to connect with folks in there you perhaps don't even like much and see different sides to all of them. I feel like if you're just playing the main story content you're really missing out on so much of the good stuff that's nooked away. Would say combat gets better too as you progress - I just went on a rampage with poison knives, dynamite and my.. pirate sword. :rofl: I'm hunting a serial killer. a legendary cougar and looking for.. other worldy beings. You'll see little of this on the main path. Try and take your time and explore! :D

Reactions: Lone Crusader
To reach Chapter 2 took a couple of hours yeah.. I may have wandered a little but not much through the opening period.

As for people who are not feeling the game right now.. I dunno what to tell you, just might not be for you. This is an immersive cowboy sim.. a cinematic adventure really far more than most other games and the pace reflects that. It's never really going to fully ramp up and become GTA I don't think. Most of the best moments thus far to me are in the random events that just happen when you're out on the trail.. listening to an old guy's sob story, seeing what unfolds when you follow a drunk guy home or happening upon a party being thrown back at camp. The amount of dialogue and 'getting to know you' moments with the gang is crazy.. it never feels like canned content that's repeated like so many other games. You'll get a chance to connect with folks in there you perhaps don't even like much and see different sides to all of them. I feel like if you're just playing the main story content you're really missing out on so much of the good stuff that's nooked away. Would say combat gets better too as you progress - I just went on a rampage with poison knives, dynamite and my.. pirate sword. :rofl: I'm hunting a serial killer. a legendary cougar and looking for.. other worldy beings. You'll see little of this on the main path. Try and take your time and explore! :D
Now this was a different perspective that I was not expecting, thanks bro. :) hrm?? Now I'm up in the air as to whether to get this or not. Leaning more towards just getting it and giving it a go.

Reactions: Last Lizard
So is this an “Open-World” type game with main quests and side quests and all? Also is there a lot to do in this (please let there be)?
Never mind this video answered all my questions. IGN actually gave the game a 10 out of 10 rating and saying its like the best game to date. Hmm... can’t wait to play it then.

So is this an “Open-World” type game with main quests and side quests and all? Also is there a lot to do in this (please let there be)?

I'm sure IGN just lavished it with endless praise like many outlets - it's sitting around 97 on metacritic afterall. Without having completed it (and not even close to doing so) I can tell you flat out the game isn't perfect. I mean no game is really, right? For me the creakiest and most archaic part of its design that could have used some updating was the control scheme. This game has been 8 years in the making and with that it does carry imo 8 year's worth of creaky control scheme - it's as though Rockstar didn't really pay attention to any other open world advances around them from a mechanics perspective. So it feels like the same old weighty R* controls we've been seieng for years and years. That's my biggest gripe with the game.. after playing something like MGSV with superb controls, can only dream how much better player movement etc could have been!

At the same time I think it's fair to say that most of the focus went into the open world itself.. it's the star of the show for sure. It's where the vast majority of the attention has been paid. Not just in creating an open world but also in how it makes the experience feel organic. There are of course markers for main story and optional side missions.. but alot of what you find out there will just happen to you without warning. It's not a checklist experience.. you'll find your own adventures the further you drift off the regular path.

So yeah the game has a huge amount of content. Personally think this game would have been even better with full story mode co-op.. but I think getting lost and lonely in the huge landscape is all part of the atmosphere too. They'll be launching Red Dead Online at the end of November anyways so there will be a co-op experience to be had as well I'm sure.

Last edited:
@AcIDc0r3

Watch out for a bug in Chapter 2 that I myself now realize has happened to me hours ago and it's really pissed me off quite a bit - I don't even have a save from back then to try and fix the issue. If you trigger it you'll lose a bunch of camp members that you can interact/get requests and missions from for a very large chunk of the game. I really hope Rockstar will patch this soon!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinm...-thats-easy-to-trigger-heres-how-to-avoid-it/

@AcIDc0r3

Watch out for a bug in Chapter 2 that I myself now realize has happened to me hours ago and it's really pissed me off quite a bit - I don't even have a save from back then to try and fix the issue. If you trigger it you'll lose a bunch of camp members that you can interact/get requests and missions from for a very large chunk of the game. I really hope Rockstar will patch this soon!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinm...-thats-easy-to-trigger-heres-how-to-avoid-it/
Yep, that's a deal breaker for me. I would have either shelved the game or threw it away at that point. I wish I knew about this before I bought it. Restarting an entire mission is not always a viable option with me as with my weird schedule with work I can only play a little bit at a time and saving from a checkpoint is all I can do sometimes. Now I have to decide if I actually want to continue or not. hrm...

Thanks :) that’s very helpful advise. I think I’m going to hold off on this since I have a lot of games that I haven’t played through yet not to mention my newest game, Assassin’s Creed. Odyssey which is massive and loads of fun to play.
you're most welcome.

I should add that I put another few hours into it and now am beyond the slow start, its much more enjoyable what with the hunting and side missions etc.

Am not expecting GTA but was expecting similar gameplay(which am getting, albeit it much clunkier feeling) but even though am actually starting to enjoy it and feel the pull to go play it more now(sign of a good game when I get the itch to play it above most all other things) its still lacking something that would make me say its an amazing game.
Had the same issue with God of War - enjoyed it but felt it lacking, so would give it 6.5-7/10 where as GTAV and Horizon Zero Dawn I'd give 9 or 9.5/10 - THEY were amazing games for me. Spiderman, to add to my prior reply about RDR2 I'd rate at 8/10

that said, maybe the 'spark' am referring to is nothing more than me not feeling it lives up to the huge hype(where say Horizon and others did)

Well I took the plunge and bought it, come Sunday I’ll give it a go. :)
good luck hope you enjoy.

@AcIDc0r3

oh dear....THINK I may have triggered this on both systems....have put more time into the xbox version so sod re-starting but I like platinum tropies so may re-start the PS4 version if I've lost the characters.
I literally finished that mission then stopped but on xbox I've put a couple hours in beyond that.
Am already trying todo both systems, so sod restarting both(dont care about achievments but if I end up loving thisgame amgonna want the trohpies)

@yeslek Yeah I think the gameplay is GTA-ish to a fault though. They haven't really advanced the general blueprint at all of ride to X, do Y (usually kill a bunch of people or pick up an item) and then ride back to Z again. Some of the story missions are fun mind you but for me the game lives and breathes by the time spent not tethered to this repetitive formula. I would say the controls do feel clunkier however you do have to factor in weapon differences for the time etc. Further unlockable weapons all seem to fire faster for one thing.. down the line you can duel-wield handguns for even faster kills..Deadeye only gets better the higher the levels you get, like being able to manually paint targets yourself. The game also does kind of a bad job of highlighting many features.. like if you gently squeeze R2 to prepare to draw your gun you can activate Deadeye when someone threatens you.. bring an extra horse with you to mount double the amount of animals/pelts. Even basic stuff it never seems to teach you like back+block during a fistfight lets you dodge and followup with heavier blows, holding options button brings up your map quicker, first person+eagle eye indoors makes looting much quicker because you walk faster in this mode! Game is hiding plenty of ways to make things a little smoother!

@AcIDc0r3

thanks buddy for the info

@cooey @luke98 @MGD

@AcIDc0r3 @harry @cooey @luke98 @MGD

R* have confirmed they're working on a fix for the camp bug on their support page and say it should be part of the next patch for the game. I've taken a couple days off from the game because of it so the sooner they release it the sooner I'll be jumping back in! :watch:
Thanks for the follow up, I’ll most likely just set it aside as well until they come up with a patch. I’m right before that part in the game so probably it’s a good thing that I don’t inadvertently screw myself on those quests.

@yeslek Yeah I think the gameplay is GTA-ish to a fault though. They haven't really advanced the general blueprint at all of ride to X, do Y (usually kill a bunch of people or pick up an item) and then ride back to Z again. Some of the story missions are fun mind you but for me the game lives and breathes by the time spent not tethered to this repetitive formula. I would say the controls do feel clunkier however you do have to factor in weapon differences for the time etc. Further unlockable weapons all seem to fire faster for one thing.. down the line you can duel-wield handguns for even faster kills..Deadeye only gets better the higher the levels you get, like being able to manually paint targets yourself. The game also does kind of a bad job of highlighting many features.. like if you gently squeeze R2 to prepare to draw your gun you can activate Deadeye when someone threatens you.. bring an extra horse with you to mount double the amount of animals/pelts. Even basic stuff it never seems to teach you like back+block during a fistfight lets you dodge and followup with heavier blows, holding options button brings up your map quicker, first person+eagle eye indoors makes looting much quicker because you walk faster in this mode! Game is hiding plenty of ways to make things a little smoother!
completely agree on all points.
Its slow, clunky and certainly doesnt spoon feed you all the controls or even options for control - I accidentally did a dodge roll earlier and cant for the life of me recreate it. lol

all that said, its enjoyable and I keep coming back to it(need a break from the depths of Destiny 2 which has mostly consumed my game time of the last couple years) so its nice to find something else to get lost in, personally.

though I cant help think that it feels like, to me at least, a second rate, bastard child of of Horizon Zero Dawn and GTAV....but a child you love regardless of all obvious flaws.

Its slow, clunky and certainly doesnt spoon feed you all the controls or even options for control - I accidentally did a dodge roll earlier and cant for the life of me recreate it. lol

all that said, its enjoyable and I keep coming back to it(need a break from the depths of Destiny 2 which has mostly consumed my game time of the last couple years) so its nice to find something else to get lost in, personally.

though I cant help think that it feels like, to me at least, a second rate, bastard child of of Horizon Zero Dawn and GTAV....but a child you love regardless of all obvious flaws.
The clunky controls have been my only gripe with the game so far... the most frustrating one for me being the lack of any precise item selection option -- there's items on Athur's table at the camp that I can't pick up because there's so many selectable items (consumables, random objects, the bed) in close proximity to one another. So characters are rewarding me with items that are basically just piling up because the bloody game won't let me specifically focus on the items I want lol.

Funny you should mention the dodge roll too, as I literally just saw a clip of someone doing one whilst trying to avoid a bear... I didn't even know it was possible to roll! Another thing I only found out last night is that you can actually stick dynamite... all this time I've been throwing it and then having to run for my life, sometimes not too successfully. :p

Haven't seen the dodge-roll myself, gotta be something along with square though I'd think considering this is dive/dodge in fights? Could be a contextual move.. I'd experiment but I'm still hanging off the game waiting on this patch. I really wanna dive back in too.. hurry up, R*! :mad:

The clunky controls have been my only gripe with the game so far... the most frustrating one for me being the lack of any precise item selection option -- there's items on Athur's table at the camp that I can't pick up because there's so many selectable items (consumables, random objects, the bed) in close proximity to one another. So characters are rewarding me with items that are basically just piling up because the bloody game won't let me specifically focus on the items I want lol.

Funny you should mention the dodge roll too, as I literally just saw a clip of someone doing one whilst trying to avoid a bear... I didn't even know it was possible to roll! Another thing I only found out last night is that you can actually stick dynamite... all this time I've been throwing it and then having to run for my life, sometimes not too successfully. :p
Haven't seen the dodge-roll myself, gotta be something along with square though I'd think considering this is dive/dodge in fights? Could be a contextual move.. I'd experiment but I'm still hanging off the game waiting on this patch. I really wanna dive back in too.. hurry up, R*! :mad:
Combat roll: While aiming, hit square/X to dive out of the way. It’s a good tactic to avoid a hail of bullets or a charging predator.

Reactions: yeslek and Noodles
Could you not just save the game before doing that mission, and if it effs up, then reload and try again? I don't necessarily consider myself a great gamer, yet I managed to do the mission first time without failing and therefore thankfully managed to avoid the glitch.

Combat roll: While aiming, hit square/X to dive out of the way. It’s a good tactic to avoid a hail of bullets or a charging predator.
Good to know! Thanks dude. :thumbs:

• Thanks
Oh right so it was regular evade? lol I probably did that as soon as I got off my horse during the intro! When you said roll I thought he actually did a roll forward and return to feet or something.

Could you not just save the game before doing that mission, and if it effs up, then reload and try again? I don't necessarily consider myself a great gamer, yet I managed to do the mission first time without failing and therefore thankfully managed to avoid the glitch.

Good to know! Thanks dude. :thumbs:

Problem is I'm like 15 hours beyond this mission and don't feel like restarting and killing all that time. :LOL: I've tried replaying the mission itself but that doesn't work. I haven't failed much out of difficulty, don't find the game very tough at all (although trying to kill 15 goons in the oil thief mission was insane :cautious: I also happen to think it was glitched because it kept reloading different amounts of guards) I probably failed just by dicking around.. I think I was trying to trample chickens on my horse instead of the chasing the guy :rofl:. So my hope with a patch is they don't say oh you'll hafta restart anyways. They should be able to simply reinstate the missing members into the camp.. fingers crossed anyway.

• Thanks