Feb 28, 2011
UK
Released: October 26, 2018 Spring 2018 Fall 2017
Purchase:
Zavvi
PS4 - Amazon USA
XBox One - Amazon USA

1.jpg2.jpg

Developed by the creators of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland. The game’s vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience.

kisspng-red-dead-redemption-2-grand-theft-auto-v-rockstar-5b3fbdbb2fcf38.5473842515309039951958.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: bloodsnake007
@harry just started Chapter 5 (Guarma) last night and I'm only there because I forced myself to start pushing forward with the main story a bit more! I wish the game would log your hours because I'd be curious to see how long I've been at it. I feel like I must have sunk at least 70 hours into this thing. Not a perfect game by any means but it's been a helluva ride.. kinda ready for it to be over but at the same time I got slightly spoiled on an aspect of post-game that I 100% expected to happen.. and I don't want it to end because I fear the worst (as I have all along) for our boy Arthur! :rofl: I just hope anyways the payoff in how certain things will transpire hits the same kind of note that the original game did. Red Dead 1's final hour was excellent and I just need to feel it like that again here!

Also would love to see another Undead Nightmare DLC.. it felt like a real deal expansion the way most don't.

Also the mission where Hosea has Arthur play Fenton the idiot boy was one the funniest things I've ever seen in a game.. just the dialogue alone was killing me. :smuggrin:

• Thanks
Reactions: harry
Also wish there was an hour counter(I know I’ve cracked over 100hrs)

Yeah I hate this wtf R*. Anyways I finished up the game on Christmas Eve. Well I say finished up.. I mean the story at least. I'll definitely go back to it after a break but I'm also I probably put 100 hours into this thing. I'll try and be brief:

The game is fantastic - provided in fact you do have alot of time on your hands. If you don't.. I could see it being a bit less impactful over time. There's no getting around it, as good as it is the story is way too long and stretched way too thin when you factor in the amount of time you'll spend on side activities. Also the thing to me is that for a large chunk of the game, the side activities are actually just as good if not better at fleshing out Arthur's character. I really feel like anyone who's simply trying to power through the story is missing out on so much of what makes Arthur one of the best videogame protagonists I've ever seen. The game just hammers you over the head a bit too much at times with the obvious.. which is to say much as I liked the story it doesn't really hold too many surprises. The folks you don't like you'll like even less by the end and those you're supposed to like you will probably like more.. a few more twists and turns would have been nice.

The conversation the game is having with the player is much bigger than old timey cops and robbers. It's really about human nature and the way you try to negotiate an unforgiving landscape in your journey through life. It's about living with the choices you've made and dealing with the consequences of having made them. It's a hefty experience that gets pretty f'n depressing as it draws closer to its conclusion. Being a fan of the original I had obvious suspicions about how things would play out and the fact that Arthur Morgan isn't anywhere to be seen in the first game. My biggest hope I guess was that his journey would mean something to John Marston - and I think in this respect by the end they absolutely nailed it. The epilogue like the rest of the game is also too long.. but I can forgive them for it because it's really about honouring not one but two great characters.

The game isn't perfect. R* should have by now been able to finesse this world with a better, less lumbering and heavy control scheme. Even when Arthur isn't drunk it still feels like he is ya know? And the bounty system is straight garbage.. it just becomes an absolute nuisance and makes you want to avoid raising hell. Also those little things that become big things in your mind like equipping weapons on your horse and them being taken off your back as soon as you climb off? Outfits set on your horse not being equippable. These things start to add up and 2 months after release should be a distant memory.

But if you have the time to put into it perfect or not the game I think will get to most people who invest in it. According to PS4 trophies anyways only around 25% of players on that platform have seen the actual ending.. somehow this doesn't surprise me. It's got the R* brand which shifted alotta units but the style of game that is really doesn't strike me at all as the logical followup success in the GTA mould. It's just not going to to be for everyone and it doesn't have to be either. Those who take it all the way are the ones who'll be satisfied.. and probably still a little bit depressed too like I am. :LOL:

Easily the best game I've played this year.

Nice review :)

I have to say, it’s enjoyability, flaws aside, is unquestionable.
It feels like GTAV and then some. The same way GTAV was SAN Andrea’s, then some. They built perfectly on its predecessor whilst evolving enough to keep it fresh and newly playable - - let’s face it, what’s the point buying a sequel game if there is no growth? May as well replay the original or gameplay is identical. This is where I think Rockstar excel.
Enough of the prior games DNA(Red Dead and GTA I see as highly interchangeable, gameplay wise, which is a great thing) with enough tweeks and differences to justify a new game.

I have yet to finish it - Destiny 2’s Black Armory grind and Spider-Man DLC completion keeps distracting me, plus last time I played RDR2 I spent over 12 hrs on one side mission thread (stuck on the 2nd quest step)

Just cracked chapter 5....am stuck as the next mission is in the red zone....keep getting caught trying to sneak in/round....what am I missing?

Just cracked chapter 5....am stuck as the next mission is in the red zone....keep getting caught trying to sneak in/round....what am I missing?

What mission are you talking about? Chapter 5 is Guarma.. not sure where you could be getting stuck there.

What mission are you talking about? Chapter 5 is Guarma.. not sure where you could be getting stuck there.
I had to get to Dutch but he was in the red zone(dead or alive)...well, on an edge so I found a long way around to get to him and trigger the mission. The short way round had me creep into the red zone a bit and I tried sneaking but couldn’t get through the way I wanted.

Am on epilogue 2 now.

Wow. What a game.
Going for 100% and if I can be arsed with online(put a lot of time into GTAV online and might be onlined’d out) as I just ain’t ready to leave the world yet.
Still hunting animals and flowers, got bones and robberies to complete.....so much to do still.

• Thanks
Reactions: Last Lizard
@yeslek

Enjoy the finale. I feel you'll know the final mission when you reach it. May I recommend wearing a certain special someone's hat for it? ;)

When those three guys come over the hill and the music starts playing...

1094.gif

:woot::woot::woot:

@yeslek

Enjoy the finale. I feel you'll know the final mission when you reach it. May I recommend wearing a certain special someone's hat for it? ;)

When those three guys come over the hill and the music starts playing...

View attachment 408388

:woot::woot::woot:
Already knew about and was prepared for the end, but certain special who?(lost me there’s am afraid)..so think I was hatless if am honest.

Am currently on Epilogue 2 (I know there are a few, it how many total?) taking my time doing side stuff(been stuck on the hunting mission trying to get a perfect Squirral carcass since maybe chapter 2/3j

Already knew about and was prepared for the end, but certain special who?(lost me there’s am afraid)..so think I was hatless if am honest.

Am currently on Epilogue 2 (I know there are a few, it how many total?) taking my time doing side stuff(been stuck on the hunting mission trying to get a perfect Squirral carcass since maybe chapter 2/3j

lol I meant you should go into the last mission wearing
Arthur's
hat.

Do you have the legendary Buck trinket? I believe it makes 3 star animals more prominent.. so they say anyways, I still had a hell of a time finding some in any short space of time. For those tiny animal types where you need to use small game arrows I recommend staying on your horse and hitting them from above.. you probably know ideally you have less chance of spoiling the pelt anyways if you're not trying to hit them when they're on the run but I found for whatever reason chasing stuff like rabbits/squirrels/skunks etc and hitting them right in the middle yielded better results than trying for headshots.

lol I meant you should go into the last mission wearing
Arthur's
hat.

Do you have the legendary Buck trinket? I believe it makes 3 star animals more prominent.. so they say anyways, I still had a hell of a time finding some in any short space of time. For those tiny animal types where you need to use small game arrows I recommend staying on your horse and hitting them from above.. you probably know ideally you have less chance of spoiling the pelt anyways if you're not trying to hit them when they're on the run but I found for whatever reason chasing stuff like rabbits/squirrels/skunks etc and hitting them right in the middle yielded better results than trying for headshots.
Yeah I found horse hunting easier but trying the auto aim vs dead eye doesn’t need seem to get me anything more than good or poor animals.
Rabbits are easy but it’s those damn squirrels.
Urgh

Don’t think I have the buck trinket(have lions paw and a couple others but don’t recall Buck..shall have to look into that)

As for the hat, think I lost so many....went in hatless. Lol. Never been fussed about hats. Ah well.

Are you gunning for 100% completion too?
(I am but I still need to finish GTAV 100% for that elusive platinum)

Yeah I found horse hunting easier but trying the auto aim vs dead eye doesn’t need seem to get me anything more than good or poor animals.
Rabbits are easy but it’s those damn squirrels.
Urgh

Don’t think I have the buck trinket(have lions paw and a couple others but don’t recall Buck..shall have to look into that)

As for the hat, think I lost so many....went in hatless. Lol. Never been fussed about hats. Ah well.

Are you gunning for 100% completion too?
(I am but I still need to finish GTAV 100% for that elusive platinum)

Nah not bothered about 100% at all I don't have the patience for it coupled with online trophies = double no-no. Just playing more until I've had my fill I suppose. Trying to find some of the exotics for Algernon might push me over the edge here. Was looking for some orchids earlier even with a marked map guide and was still going crazy because they're so small and missable in the ground! Definitely feels like the most time-consuming side content in the game.. but I want that fancy gun of his to complete the collection!

Nah not bothered about 100% at all I don't have the patience for it coupled with online trophies = double no-no. Just playing more until I've had my fill I suppose. Trying to find some of the exotics for Algernon might push me over the edge here. Was looking for some orchids earlier even with a marked map guide and was still going crazy because they're so small and missable in the ground! Definitely feels like the most time-consuming side content in the game.. but I want that fancy gun of his to complete the collection!
Orchids are easy - use eagle eye and check online if the flower/plant you are hunting is on the floor or side of a tree.

Some are tricky and a couple were no where to be found for me, despite using a guide also, but you don’t need ALL of the locations, so just move onto the next until the quota is filled.

Am not sure i’ll get the full 100% either(as I say, am still halfassedly working on on GTAV still)

Btw, feel free to hit me up on either console if you want.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Last Lizard
I got 81% of the trophies so far and 95.5% for total completion just have to get exotics and do all the challenges.

For online i have over $2000, 50 gold bars and got to rank 50.
Damn that’s dedication.

How did you get all the legendary animals(that what keeps stumping me, the bloody fish)

Damn that’s dedication.

How did you get all the legendary animals(that what keeps stumping me, the bloody fish)

Some side missions seem to add better lures to your inventory.. which I didn't really know until playing very recently.

Did all the exotic missions.. what a pain in the ass! :rofl:

Also have run into a handful of the camp folks in post-game which doesn't add anything to trophies or completion but was nice to see them again. I wish New Austin offered you a bit more to do.. feel like it could have had a whole bunch of extra missions out there.

Still hoping (against hope considering R*'s reluctance to do single player DLC) that we might see another Undead Nightmare DLC in future - the original was the best DLC I've ever played.

• Thanks
Reactions: harry and luke98
Some side missions seem to add better lures to your inventory.. which I didn't really know until playing very recently.

Did all the exotic missions.. what a pain in the ass! :rofl:

Also have run into a handful of the camp folks in post-game which doesn't add anything to trophies or completion but was nice to see them again. I wish New Austin offered you a bit more to do.. feel like it could have had a whole bunch of extra missions out there.

Still hoping (against hope considering R*'s reluctance to do single player DLC) that we might see another Undead Nightmare DLC in future - the original was the best DLC I've ever played.
I’ve got all the lures, special lures, types of bait and also follows variousness YouTube vids, standing in the same spot, same time of day etc...nothing.

I’ve got all the lures, special lures, types of bait and also follows variousness YouTube vids, standing in the same spot, same time of day etc...nothing.

Wish I could help more.. I caught a few based off random video guides as well. Plenty out there aren't all that helpful though as I guess we've both figured out. Same goes with finding animals.. took me forever to find a reliable spot for spotting a handful of small birds like Robins.

I don't like the fishing it's so boring and tedious trying to reel in a legend for 5+ mins so I haven't bothered to do many. :whistle:

The animals
Wish I could help more.. I caught a few based off random video guides as well. Plenty out there aren't all that helpful though as I guess we've both figured out. Same goes with finding animals.. took me forever to find a reliable spot for spotting a handful of small birds like Robins.

I don't like the fishing it's so boring and tedious trying to reel in a legend for 5+ mins so I haven't bothered to do many. :whistle:
the animals aren’t too bad for me(except getting a perfect bloody squirrel carcass for a side Hunting mission....need to use poison arrows or something but the small buggers are tough to find )

Guess I just need to keep at it eh?
Lol

@yeslek

Left of Owanjila (just West of Strawberry) and north a little bit you'll find millions down by the stream. I literally grabbed 6 perfect squirrels while there by the water earlier to make a flat cap. Good luck. :D