Report: No new consoles until 2013, PS3 to beat 360 by 2011

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
Wedbush Morgan Securities has forecast that no new home consoles will be released by the big three (aka Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo) until the year 2013 at the very earliest.

Speaking in a mammoth report issued yesterday, the company stated, ?Because it is eminently clear that no new console is planned for launch in 2010 (the fifth year of the current cycle), we do not expect hardware or software sales to peak any time soon. Rather, we expect that hardware and software sales will peak, as they have in the past, in the year prior to the introduction of a new console; this cycle, we think that will happen several years from now, if at all.?

?Hence, we believe that the ?peak? of the cycle will be in year n-1, with ?n? representing the launch of a next generation console. As we believe that will not occur until 2013 or later, we calculate year n-1 as 2012 or later.?

Elsewhere, the report also offers sales estimations for current generation platforms up until 2011, with the Wii, unsurprisingly, taking the top spot with global sales of 93 million. However, PlayStation 3 is placed ahead of Xbox 360, with Sony?s machine selling 49 million units compared to the 360?s 44 million.
________
WHOLE FOODS GIFT CARDS

Last edited:
I think that nintendo will do a wii HD before they give up. The wii is a monster seller.

PS3 will roll for a while, but I can see the 360 being dumped in the next year or so.

wii HD would be cool

but named ...

wiiHdii LOL

I like the idea of having to wait until 2013 until we get some new consoles. I only got my PS3 on Christmas '07 and I don't want to see another console come out so soon. I guess its also a good enough opportunity to buy a 360, without the worry of a new console from Microsoft coming out soon after.

i gotta say, you're way wrong on all 3 accounts :p

you honestly think nintendo is going to give up after the wii tho?

nah i was just saying i dont think they will need to make another wii.but rumor was going around they said they where gonna stop after the wii but i doubt it they make to much money and are way to loved.

PS4 (PS Vantage rumour) = 2013
Wii 2 = 2011
Xbox 3 (Xbox 720 rumour) = 2011

wtf is ps vantage?

the only problem i see with your list, is a 2 year gap. sony couldn't afford to do that. people would abandon the ps3 and move to the new consoles, and sony would have to be sol for 2 years

I can't see M$ ever having the upper hand on Sony EVER. Their products have been second rate two year running.

Sony needs to keep coming out 6 months to a year later because it gives them a chance to one up M$. lol.
________
Motorcycle Tires

Last edited:
I say all 2012... Unless the PS3 can do everything the 720 can... lol..

there is no way ms is gonna put all this new tech in the next xbox and it not be higher then the ps3. i just dont see the next xbox being to much more powerfullthen the 360.2012 is to soon i didnt know people where is such a rush to fork over 4 to 500 bucks every 4 or five years :confused:

wtf is ps vantage?

It was a rumoured name for the next Playstation. And it was officially Sony that gave it that name. Where was this? Have you seen the movie "Babylon AD"? In the movie, there is a scene where a bunch of buildings are shown. One of them has a huge "Playstation Vantage" sign on it. The film is also based some time in the future. I'll see if I can get a screen shot.

I can't see M$ ever having the upper hand on Sony EVER. Their products have been second rate two year running.

Sony needs to keep coming out 6 months to a year later because it gives them a chance to one up M$. lol.

the xbox was better than the ps2, so its already happened

It was a rumoured name for the next Playstation. And it was officially Sony that gave it that name. Where was this? Have you seen the movie "Babylon AD"? In the movie, there is a scene where a bunch of buildings are shown. One of them has a huge "Playstation Vantage" sign on it. The film is also based some time in the future. I'll see if I can get a screen shot.

you're using a movie as the source of a rumor? lmao