Resident Evil 5 Megathread - Alternative Edition as boxed or DLC?

Jan 29, 2009
Resident Evil 5, known in Japan as Biohazard 5 (バイオハザード5, Baiohazādo Faibu?), is the forthcoming installment in the Resident Evil survival horror video game series, which is set to debut for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.[3] It will be developed and published by Capcom. Capcom officially announced Resident Evil 5 on July 20, 2005,[4] and is scheduled for release on March 5, 2009 in Japan, and March 13, 2009 in North America and Europe.

621.x600.timein.res_evil.open.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
360 is getting an exclusive edition bundled with a red 360 ... too bad it wasnt a red ps3

iT will nicely match the red ring of death:)

ha ha so tru lol

so any1 picked this up yet? i rented it there on sat and must say it was beyond expectations, you have to enjoy that type of game i suppose. its slow paced compared to most but compared with other evil games theres a lot more action. havent completed it yet (only 4 hours in lol) but defo worth a rent. will be buyin on thursday, if i dont spend all my money on paddys day!!! lol)

give the game a good 8.5 : D

I am intrigued as to why is Wesker still alive and who is that person on the robe?! damn it I am fighting it, for now I am not playing the game lol

RUMOR: More DLC on the way?

In an interview with ButtonBasher, Capcoms Chris Svensson mentioned when asked about future DLC for Resident Evil that the company is seriously considering the idea after a thread was started asking what fans would like to see from future DLC and it quickly became hundreds of posts long.

"We haven’t ruled out more content for RE5 as DLC. In fact, on Capcom-Unity.com last week, someone asked the same question and I asked fans what they wanted to see if we were to make some more. The result was a thread on our boards that is hundreds of posts long, tens of thousands of views and I’ll be “interpreting” that feedback and making recommendations to Takeuchi-san based on it. There’s nothing to announce by any stretch, but I think it’s worth noting that we’re considering it."

He claims that he will be looking into the feedback and acting upon it, so does this mean Capcom will listen to the people and give them more DLC? It sure looks that way to me.

source: stickskills.com/article-1042-Rumour--More-Resi-Evil-5-DLC.html

Capcom still looking at more DLC for Resident Evil 5

Capcom’s Christian Svensson has revealed that the company is flirting with the idea of churning out more downloadable content for Resident Evil 5, and is currently looking to the community for feedback on the matter.

Speaking on VG247’s latest podcast, Svensson commented, “We’re talking about it. I don’t know if you have seen some of the threads on Capcom Unity, but questions came up on whether we are going to do any more.” This isn't the first time Svensson has hinted at further DLC for the game, having addressed the situation back in May.

“I asked what people would want to see and that spawned a thread that was literally hundreds of posts long and had tens of thousands of views.”

“I mentioned that thread to the team and we have discussed it ever since. So I will leave it at that.”

RE5’s first (and to date, only) batch of DLC was released back in April in the form of the multiplayer-themed ‘Versus’ pack, which throws in two online game modes – Slayer and Survivors. Our review of Resident Evil 5 can be read here.

TGS 09: RE5: Alternative Edition unveiled, will support PS3 wand

Resident Evil 5 producer Jun Takeuchi confirmed at the Tokyo Game Show this week that Capcom plans on re-releasing the popular action/horror romp next year under the moniker of RE5: Alternative Edition.

According to Takeuchi-san, this revamped version will be fully compatible with Sony’s motion-sensing controller, with gamers able to utilize both the wand and DualShock 3 pad when playing the game. An icon will appear on-screen for aiming purposes, similar to Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition.

Elsewhere, the game will also apparently feature a host of extra content as requested by fans, though Takeuchi didn’t divulge any specific details on the matter. However, speculation doing the rounds on the web suggests a new scenario staring Jill Valentine (fuelled by a recent interview with Valentine’s voice actress, Patricia Ja Lee, who has apparently recorded fresh dialogue for the game) will feature, as well as the extra costumes previously only featured in the PC edition of the title.

Resident Evil 5: Alternative Edition is currently pencilled in for release in Japan in Spring 2010, with a western release yet to be confirmed. Expect a teaser trailer for the game later this week.

You know this isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you guys ever played RE4 on wii you'll know is so much easier to go through the game :)

I actually liked RE4 wii... I just hope they don't start making games in the vein of Umbrella Chronicles because of the new controller... though it'd be AWESOME to get some wii ports on PS3!

Like "My life as King."

Famitsu spills fresh info on RE5: Alternative Edition

Japanese publication Famitsu Weekly has divulged further details on the bonus content featured in Capcom’s upcoming wand-waggling Resident Evil 5: Alternative Edition.

As expected, the bonus game included in the revamped horror title is set within the confines of the Spencer Mansion as depicted in RE5’s flashback sequence, and stars BSAA agents Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine. Strikingly evocative of the mansion found in the original Resident Evil, Spencer’s humble abode is apparently rigged with an assortment of traps, and will also feature enemies of some description, though Capcom didn’t go in to any further details on the matter. Fingers crossed that our rotting zombie friends make a triumphant return, eh?

Apparently, the main hall of the sprawling estate is splattered with blood, indicating that an incident has taken place, will become clear as gamers advance through the game. The developer also acknowledged that the franchise has rustled up varying tastes among its fan base over the years, and believes that this side game will feature the type of locations that fans are expecting. As with the original RE5, players will be able to tackle the game solo or team up in co-op mode.

Furthermore, the game will last around 2 hours, with producer Jun Takeuchi telling the magazine he managed to plough through it in around 1 hour and 40 minutes – but that’s because he’s hardcore, naturally. According to Takeuchi, the bonus content was too big to be released as downloadable content and will, despite earlier speculation, be made available for Xbox 360 in addition to Sony’s platform.

Elsewhere, it was confirmed that those who own the original version of RE5 can transfer their Trophies and game saves to the Alternative Edition, which includes all existing DLC from the original game, such as the Versus mode. Capcom is also flirting with the idea of including additional costumes and game modes in the game aside from what has already been announced.

Resident Evil 5: Alternative Edition is scheduled for release in Japan next spring. Stay tuned for more details as they become available.

RE5: Alternative Edition shots showcase 'Lost in Nightmares'

Capcom has released a fresh batch of images of next year’s eagerly anticipated wand-waggling Resident Evil 5: Alternative Edition, showcasing the new side mission entitled ‘Lost In Nightmares.’

Set a few years before the events of Resident Evil 5, Lost in Nightmares centres on BSAA buddies Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine, as they investigate the spooky Spencer Mansion in an effort to locate the elusive Umbrella head honcho.

resident-evil-5:-alternative-edition-PS3-ss-1.jpg

resident-evil-5:-alternative-edition-PS3-ss-7.jpg

resident-evil-5:-alternative-edition-PS3-ss-3.jpg

Capcom asks if you want RE5: Alternative Edition as boxed or DLC release

While Japanese gamers are being lumbered with only one choice as to how they can acquire Resident Evil 5: Alternative Edition next spring, Capcom is giving its western fans the chance to influence how the upcoming wand-compatible horror outing will arrive in North America via a poll on its blog – namely, in downloadable content form or as a boxed game.

Apparently, the decision to release the game in boxed form only in Japan boils down to the fact folk in the Land of the Rising sun have been a little on the slow side to embrace digital content, while in the west, the publisher has witnessed considerable success with the likes of RE5’s Versus mode and retro romp Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.

Said the company: “Here’s where we’re at: in Japan, Alternative Edition will be released as a new physical package, with all that entails: new box art, new manual, new shiny disc, another plastic box to add to a tottering stack of console games. This makes absolutely perfect sense for the Japanese gaming market, where the uptake of digital content is a bit behind the western markets.”

“However, based on the success of the RE5 ‘Versus’ downloadable content, as well as digital-only titles like Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix and Marvel VS Capcom 2, we know that the demand for DLC in the west is huge. More and more, gamers in North America and Europe want content immediately and are less inclined to be tied to boxes and packages.”

Be sure to pop over to the Capcom Blog and submit your vote.