[REVIEW] Kevin Smith's "Red State"

Below is a link to my blog that has my review of Kevin Smith's new film Red State. Thought some might like to read it. It's a bit long (thatswhatshesaid) but I think it's a good review. A few people have given me some good ..um..reviews of my review. lol. Below I'll put the poster and a snippet of my review, and then if you like you can click through to see the full one with images and video.

Red-State-Theatrical-Header.jpg

This is an intelligent movie about some truly horrific people. The fact that we know about the Phelps' and their deranged church adds to the fact. This isn't a movie just about some random creation of the writer's mind. This isn't a group of people who have no basis in reality that we can simply write off as imaginary. This is a group of people, The Coopers, who are very much a product of a real problem in our society, and that is extreme fundamentalists.

And I think the true horror aspect to this is similar to how I felt when watching the brilliant film Frailty, which was directed by Bill Paxton. In that film you're watching something unfold that feels real. You're not watching zombies or werewolves or vampires or inbred hillbillies that love to **** and kill you (not necessarily in that order). You're watching something that is highly relateable in the sense that you know there are people like this in the world.

The fact that there are people who believe that God has ordained them to kill people in His name is terrifying to me. And what makes Abin Cooper and his kin the most dangerous and terrifying to me is how seemingly normal they are one minute, and how utterly despicable they are the next.

You watch this and think "Oh my God, these people sing the same songs we sang in church. They read the same verses we read in church. That church looks like churches I've been in". And the kick in the head that you get when you really think about it is that here are people who while singing the same songs and reading the same verses are getting something COMPLETELY different than you are.

So you are saying that Kevin Smith finally made another good movie? :p I was seriously wondering how this film would turn out. I might just check it out.

So you are saying that Kevin Smith finally made another good movie? :p I was seriously wondering how this film would turn out. I might just check it out.

I never saw Cop Out, but I've liked all the Kevin Smith movies that I've seen (all but Cop Out). Some were better than others, but I didn't have nearly the problem with Jersey Girl that many seemed to.

And yes, you should see this!

I never saw Cop Out, but I've liked all the Kevin Smith movies that I've seen (all but Cop Out). Some were better than others, but I didn't have nearly the problem with Jersey Girl that many seemed to.

And yes, you should see this!

lol I don't mind Jersey Girl, it's not great, but it's not so so bad. I didn't exactly like Dogma either. Cop-out was horrible.

I still need to see this. I love Kevin Smith! :D And I really liked Jersey Girl. In my opinion it's his most mature, and best, film to date... Though I haven't seen this one.

It's sad that he's going to retire after this next movie (Hit Somebody)... But he's gotten nothing but **** from Hollywood/critics/haters his whole career.