paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 25, 2019
Purchase links: Arrow Films - Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £25.00 (Arrow Films) - £24.99 (Amazon - Zavvi - HMV)

69972223_2681637038536940_379409244.jpg

6fd6ed76-974d-4be1-bc49-09f629719bb.jpg 2fdf6414-2c38-4a5d-88c1-.jpg c1957f0e-4de8-499b-be8d-.jpg

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative by MGM, transferred in 2013 and approved by director Paul Verhoeven
  • Newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper
  • Director’s Cut and Theatrical Cut of the film on two High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray™ discs
  • Original lossless stereo and four-channel mixes plus DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround sound option on both cuts
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on both cuts
  • Six collector’s postcards (Limited Edition exclusive)
  • Double-sided, fold-out poster (Limited Edition exclusive)
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
  • Limited edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Omar Ahmed, Christopher Griffiths and Henry Blyth, a 1987 Fangoria interview with Rob Bottin, and archive publicity materials (some contents exclusive to Limited Edition)
DISC ONE – DIRECTOR’S CUT

• Archive commentary by director Paul Verhoeven, executive producer Jon Davison and co-writer Ed Neumeier (originally recorded for the Theatrical Cut and re-edited in 2014 for the Director’s Cut)
  • New commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon
  • New commentary by fans Christopher Griffiths, Gary Smart and Eastwood Allen
  • The Future of Law Enforcement: Creating RoboCop, a newly filmed interview with co-writer Michael Miner
  • RoboTalk, a newly filmed conversation between co-writer Ed Neumeier and filmmakers David Birke (writer of Elle) and Nick McCarthy (director of Orion Pictures’ The Prodigy)
  • Truth of Character, a newly filmed interview with star Nancy Allen on her role as Lewis
  • Casting Old Detroit, a newly filmed interview with casting director Julie Selzer on how the film’s ensemble cast was assembled
  • Connecting the Shots, a newly filmed interview with second unit director and frequent Verhoeven collaborator Mark Goldblatt
  • Composing RoboCop, a new tribute to composer Basil Poledouris featuring film music experts Jeff Bond, Lukas Kendall, Daniel Schweiger and Robert Townson
  • RoboProps, a newly filmed tour of super-fan Julien Dumont’s collection of original props and memorabilia
  • 2012 Q&A with the Filmmakers, a panel discussion featuring Verhoeven, Davison, Neumeier, Miner, Allen, star Peter Weller and animator Phil Tippett
  • RoboCop: Creating a Legend, Villains of Old Detroit and Special Effects: Then & Now, three archive featurettes from 2007 featuring interviews with cast and crew
  • Paul Verhoeven Easter Egg
  • Four deleted scenes
  • The Boardroom: Storyboard with Commentary by Phil Tippett
  • Director’s Cut Production Footage, raw dailies from the filming of the unrated gore scenes
  • Two theatrical trailers and three TV spots
  • Extensive image galleries
DISC TWO – THEATRICAL CUT

• Archive commentary by director Paul Verhoeven, executive producer Jon Davison and co-writer Ed Neumeier (originally recorded for Theatrical version of the film)
  • Two Isolated Score tracks (Composer’s Original Mix and Final Theatrical Mix) in lossless stereo
  • Edited-for-television version of the film, featuring alternate dubs, takes and edits of several scenes (95 mins, SD only)
  • Split screen comparison of Theatrical and Director’s Cuts
  • Robocop: Edited For Television, a compilation of alternate scenes from two edited-for-television versions, newly transferred in HD from recently-unearthed 35mm elements

Last edited:
Reactions: Sigill
I expect the extras with this release will be good

I would not be surprised if we see an edited version of the coming soon RoboDoc: The Creation of RoboCop documentary from dead mouse productions be included

Similar to what happened with Hellraiser blu-ray release from arrow it included dead mouse productions documentary Leviathan: The Story of Hellraiser

Arrow was asked if they will be doing Robocop 2/3 and replied just Robocop 1987 for now but may decide at later stage to do 2/3

• Thanks
Reactions: ty233
Should this not be a 4k release since we've already has the deluxe remastered blu-ray 2 years ago. And it would be a great release to start off 4k for them...
It will be a Blu-ray with new extras

Arrow will not be doing 4K UHD for a good while yet it's too expensive to licence a UHD release from film studios and sales of UHD discs not high enough yet for independent distributors to do 4K UHD on their own where they don't own the film rights.
Most of their sales comes from DVD/Blu-ray discs and be risky to add UHD discs at this stage with costs involved and risk of customers who are happy with Blu-ray not purchasing due to price increase that it would involve.

It's a lot cheaper for the film studios to do UHD disc releases as they own the film rights and you will see lot more UHD releases from their catalog be released from likes of Disney/Warner/Sony/Fox etc but it's different for independent distributors who don't own the film rights.

There is a big increase of homes with 4K Tv's and that will increase even more and be replaced by 8K Tv's in coming years but that has not translated all those who have purchased 4K TV's into mass purchasing 4K UHD discs
Most are still purchasing DVD and Blu-ray and a lot are using the apps built into the 4K Tv's to stream 4K content with likes of Netflix/Amazon etc and using Sky Q to watch in 4K and similar Pay Tv services.

4K UHD unit disc sales is still tiny and not enough disc unit sales for likes of Arrow Films/Shout Factory/88 Films/Second Sight etc to start paying film studios licence fee to do a 4K UHD release and also the higher costs involved in getting UHD disc made.
These independent distributors order a high number of Blu-ray discs to be made with some released as a limited edition and rest of the stock later released as a standard edition.

They need high volume of UHD disc sales be to be worthwhile commiting to a larger order of UHD discs
Ordering a small number of UHD discs would mean paying a high unit cost price so it's not worth doing a release until they can be sure they will get high number of UHD discs purchased.

There is more customers purchasing DVD discs than 4K UHD discs as a comparison and Video streaming and downloads have overtaken DVD sales.
Streaming will also overtake Blu-ray discs unit sales soon
Arrow Films have started to use amazon prime for their film catalog in response to the big uptake of video streaming and you can expect a lot more of their releases be available for streaming online.

It's been estimated by 2023 Streaming Revenue will be 88 $ Billion in USA alone with 4K Streaming a big part of this.

If you want a 4K UHD release you will have to wait for MGM/Fox who own the film rights to do a release and that's if they plan on doing one

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Tompa and harry
Will be interesting to see what they offer in addition to the current blu-ray.

@paulboland any idea of packaging? I'm hoping for a hardbox slip, with removable JCard so there's no ratings logo ruining the artwork (my pet peeve). Fingers crossed, but I'm sure Arrow will do a sterling job on the classic.

Can’t wait saw this again on Netflix over Christmas think it had some cut scenes in it.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think they have released a steelbook with the poster artwork at the top of the thread?

Can’t wait saw this again on Netflix over Christmas think it had some cut scenes in it.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think they have released a steelbook with the poster artwork at the top of the thread?

... now that you mentioned. Netflix sucks.

@paulboland any idea of packaging? I'm hoping for a hardbox slip, with removable JCard so there's no ratings logo ruining the artwork (my pet peeve). Fingers crossed, but I'm sure Arrow will do a sterling job on the classic.
All we have is arrow video will be doing a release

Details of the release is not known yet nevermind what the packaging will be ;)

Any news on what cuts of the film will be in it? Will it have that cut that was in the Critereon dvd release?