Royal Mail to launch parcel postboxes

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
_107028824_parcelpostbox_royalmail.jpg

Royal Mail has announced plans for the UK's first-ever parcel postboxes.

The company said 1,400 of the new postboxes would be installed across the country in more than 30 locations over a six-month period, starting in August.

Locations will include Aberdeen, Birmingham, Cardiff and Leeds.

Customers will be able to post parcels in the same way that they currently post a letter, provided that postage has been pre-paid using Royal Mail's own online labelling service.

Existing letter postboxes were introduced in the 1850s and Royal Mail said the new move represented the first major change in the system since then.

"The launch of parcel postboxes is also one of the biggest innovations in parcels since the launch of Parcel Post in 1883," it added.

The rollout follows a successful trial of the idea last year.

Royal Mail will be converting existing meter boxes, which it said had a larger aperture and a secure design.

Mark Street, head of campaigns at Royal Mail, said: "We hope that the wider roll-out gives added flexibility to online sellers who might be running a business in their spare time and not keeping regular office hours."

People will also be able to return parcels using the system, as long as they have a Royal Mail barcode attached.

SOURCE

The full list of locations is:
  • Leeds
  • Newcastle & Tyneside
  • Sheffield
  • Warrington
  • Swindon
  • Nottingham
  • Romford
  • Manchester
  • Preston
  • London Central
  • Birmingham
  • Chelmsford
  • Chester
  • Greenford
  • Glasgow
  • Edinburgh
  • Bristol
  • Croydon
  • Poole
  • Aberdeen
  • Southampton
  • Belfast
  • Peterborough
  • Plymouth
  • Cardiff
  • Norwich
  • Swansea
  • Bournemouth
  • Exeter
  • Truro
  • Inverness
  • Carlisle

Love this idea and hope they eventually turn up in my area, since getting to the post office is a real pain in the ass for me, and is the main reason why I very rarely sell/give stuff away.

Great in theory, I assume you can't track it though? Might be more of an issue with parcels.

Great idea. It was only a matter of time until they have done something like this in order to stay on track with the rest of the parcel delivery companies.

Next in line will be to bring prices down slightly to match other services:rofl::thumbs:

What is going on with Royal Mail?
I heard smh about strike? Is that still active or what?
Cause i'm bit hesitant ordering things from UK... One package from eBay didn't move and is still in post office for 2 full weeks now.

What is going on with Royal Mail?
I heard smh about strike? Is that still active or what?
Cause i'm bit hesitant ordering things from UK... One package from eBay didn't move and is still in post office for 2 full weeks now.
All active strikes finished weeks ago, any planned strike both during and after the mourning period after the Queens passing were postponed with no future date, out of respect. So right now Royal Mail is running a normal service with no strike related interruptions to service

Reactions: 5t33lb0y