Rumor: PS3 getting cross-title voice chat in October

Jan 29, 2009
A VG247 source said today that Sony has informed developers of plans to incorporate cross-title voice chat in PS3 play by the end of October.

The feature will be added in Firmware update 3.10, we were told.

Cross-title chat is consistently one of the most asked-for features on PS3 – looks like Sony’s ready to deliver.

Last edited:
Right now you can chat with your friends that are playing a game with you. That's free now and will REMAIN FREE!

Cross-Game-Chat means you can play Modern Warfare 2 and your friend can play MAG and you can talk to each other anyway, even though you're playing different games.

That IS a premium feature. You WILL still be able to talk to your friends that are playing the same game as you. That is still free. Premium = above basic. You get basic chat free and pay for premium across game chat.

If I have to take this as a loss for the amount of AWESOME gameplay I get free then so be it. I'd hardly call Sony M$ because they're charging for FEATURES. At least you don't have to pay just to play.

Last edited:
I'm not a huge fan of cross game chat anyway. Its annoying if ur playing two different games and communicate with ur teammates of the game ur actually playing. But, idk. Like I said, if its going to be a premium pay for feature, its gotta be something everybody gets. If not, then what's the point of paying for it and you can't cross game chat with half ur friends?

I'm not a huge fan of cross game chat anyway. Its annoying if ur playing two different games and communicate with ur teammates of the game ur actually playing. But, idk. Like I said, if its going to be a premium pay for feature, its gotta be something everybody gets. If not, then what's the point of paying for it and you can't cross game chat with half ur friends?

It's this thought process that boggles me why'd they make cross game chat a subscription and regular chat free, there's no incentive to make the switch to premium on this feature alone..

It's this thought process that boggles me why'd they make cross game chat a subscription and regular chat free, there's no incentive to make the switch to premium on this feature alone..

agree. but if they add a bunch of other stuff that is really cool and adds to the online experience, i wouldnt mind paying a subscription. if they make it worth it, ill buy it. if its cheap bells and whistles then ill pass and not care about it.

it has to be something substantial though. stuff like cross-game-chat, updated avatar lists, or access to free dynamic themes wont do it for me.

if they put some substantial things in like faster loading times, access to betas, a reporting system, or new programs/software that would be pretty cool