Sam Raimi Teases Return of ‘Evil Dead’ Film Franchise; “We’re Working on Ideas Right Now”

Space Cadet

[Far above the moon]
Premium Supporter
Nov 26, 2017
Finland
Fans of the Evil Dead franchise may soon have reason to rejoice! Fourteen months after the cancellation of the TV series Ash vs. Evil Dead, Sam Raimi – who directed the original trilogy and produced the show – says early work has begun on a brand new movie.

In a new interview with Bloody-Disgusting, about the killer alligator movie Crawl (which Raimi produced), we asked the filmmaker what the future of the Evil Dead franchise was.

“I’d love to make another one. I don’t think TV is in its future but we’re talking about – Bruce [Campbell], Rob [Tapert] and myself – one or two different ways to go for the next movie,” Sam Raimi confirmed. He added:

We’d like to make another Evil Dead feature and in fact we’re working on some ideas right now.”​

The big question is whether the movie would follow the events of the Ash storyline, and once again star Bruce Campbell, or continue the storyline of the remake? Or would it be something entirely new? It turns out Raimi and company have one idea if Bruce Campbell comes back, one idea if Campbell opts out but Fede Álvarez – who directed the remake – is able to return, and another idea if both of those possibilities fall through!

I would be thrilled if Bruce Campbell changed his mind about retirement, would come back for the original Evil Dead line,” Raimi said. “But if not, I’m very happy to work with, if Fede [Álvarez] would come back and make the sequel… but he’s such a big shot now. He’s so successful, an artist in demand, that I don’t think he’d want to do that.”

Speaking of Álvarez’s remake, we asked Raimi – once and for all – whether the events of that gory horror hit were canonical with the rest of the franchise.

“I think that’s a part of the Evil Dead universe but not part of the Bruce Campbell storyline,” Raimi explained.

When Bloody-Disgusting asked for clarification that the events of the “remake” were happening off in a corner of the original universe, Raimi replied: “Exactly.”

“But there’s also a third possibility we’re talking about,” Raimi added. The filmmaker did not elaborate further on what the third direction for the Evil Dead movie franchise could be, but he did leave us with a timeline.

“So I think you may see some action on the Evil Dead movie in the next six months,” Raimi concluded.​

Good news for Deadites, and until the next update comes at least we have Crawl to tide us over! It swims into theaters this Friday!

Personally i think Bruce is too old to play the character now. The TV series ultimately showed it was tired of ideas.

Making a fourth will only demoralize the original trilogy. As for a sequel to the 2013 reboot, it might work but i think its just fine as it is.

Maybe a twisted tale of fusing parallel dimensions would be interesting.

• Thanks
Reactions: Space Cadet
Personally i think Bruce is too old to play the character now.

Bruce is the best :yawn:

1562754246388.png

Reactions: denizen
I'm not disputing the greatness of the king. :thumbs:

But his time as Ash has come and gone. Even he pretty much closed the book on it. IMO, watching the show kind of confirmed it. Each season became a little tiresome as if they ran out of ideas and it wasn't really going anywhere. Probably why it was cancelled. The movies hold up in every fan's top 10. Sequels & reboots don't always better something. Like Back the Future, leave it as the trilogy it will always be remembered for.

I loved Ash vs Evil Dead but the joke is running a bit thin now. Personally I'd love to see a sequel to Alvarez's Evil Dead, was pleasantly surprised how that turned out, but probably been too long now.