Sarah Palin lashes out at 'Family Guy'

Apr 29, 2009
JUNEAU, Alaska – Sarah Palin is lashing out at the portrayal of a character with Down syndrome on the Fox animated comedy "Family Guy."

In a Facebook posting headlined "Fox Hollywood — What a Disappointment," the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee and current Fox News contributor said Sunday night's episode felt like "another kick in the gut." Palin's youngest son, Trig, has Down syndrome.

The episode features the character Chris falling for a girl with Down syndrome. On a date, he asks what her parents do.

She replies: "My dad's an accountant, and my mom is the former governor of Alaska."

Not cool "Family Guy"...not cool:( :angry:

Full Article

Last edited:
I completely agree with your statement, your first reaction as a parent would be to protect your kids I would assume, I am not a parent so I wouldn't know, but it does seem like the logical thing to do.

The creator of FG is a smart dude I am sure the public backlash will only cause more viewings ;) it didn't come back to TV for any other reason.

I wonder what Seth MacFarlane would think about the joke if he has a child with Down Syndrome in the future.

i think you are right, palin is only reacting now that she and her family has been victimized. did anyone speak out when family guy made fun of michael j fox and his parkinson's?

her outcry is a two-tiered tactic. on the one hand im sure she is genuinely upset about the joke, and she is using her position to speak out against it, something that a normal person with a child with DS cannot do. you cant blame her for trying to protect her children, even if...

on the other hand, she is a politician, and will use anything to gain support from the people. her making this big of a fuss about it only puts more spotlight on herself and the issue. there is no victory to be won in her outcry; nothing will be changed, no healing will occur, but it will create a lot more buzz with her name at the center.

personally i think the first motive outweighs the second (even tho im no SP fan), but its no use trying to deny the 2nd's influence. and maybe part of the reason she (and her family) gets made fun of in this way is because people know she will react. her reaction causes free publicity for the show. i guarantee more people watched family guy after reading this story. you think family guy didnt know that would happen?

I don't necessarily disagree with your previous points, either. Art is meant to elicit emotion. Seth wins. Wrong or Right isn't something that applies to Art, which is why situations like these are so funny to me.

If you ask me on a moral level whether I find it right or wrong I would answer wrong on a societal level. It is not socially acceptable to laugh at or make fun of people with disadvantages. It is not socially acceptable to partake in joy at the expense of another because I was told so. Why is it wrong? Because if it was me I wouldn't find it funny? Sure, but that's why sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.

Which brings me to....

I wonder what Seth MacFarlane would think about the joke if he has a child with Down Syndrome in the future.

The ultimate question!

Seth MacFarlane find funny in it? Probably, somehow. Maybe... No

Someone I know has a child who is permanently handicapped parapalegic and they joke ALL THE TIME about it, and how can I not laugh along? The stories are priceless. Are they going to hell? No, I think they are making the best of their situation and coping as positively as possible. Better than resenting their down syndrome child and taking offense because someone cracked a joke at their family. I think the big point is getting lost in all the muck.

Life's too short not to laugh at things that strike you as funny, no matter WHAT they are or WHO they are. Nobody is that important, even god. Don't believe me? Look at the platypus.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily disagree with your previous points, either. Art is meant to elicit emotion. Seth wins. Wrong or Right isn't something that applies to Art, which is why situations like these are so funny to me.

If you ask me on a moral level whether I find it right or wrong I would answer wrong on a societal level. It is not socially acceptable to laugh at or make fun of people with disadvantages. It is not socially acceptable to partake in joy at the expense of another because I was told so. Why is it wrong? Because if it was me I wouldn't find it funny? Sure, but that's why sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.

Which brings me to....

The ultimate question!

Seth MacFarlane find funny in it? Probably, somehow.

Someone I know has a child who is permanently handicapped parapalegic and they joke ALL THE TIME about it, and how can I not laugh along? The stories are priceless. Are they going to hell? No, I think they are making the best of their situation and coping as positively as possible. Better than resenting their down syndrome child and taking offense because someone cracked a joke at their family. I think the big point is getting lost in all the muck.

Life's too short not to laugh at things that strike you as funny, no matter WHAT they are or WHO they are. Nobody is that important, even god. Don't believe me? Look at the platypus.

Which is why I posted the laughing quotes! :D

I thought the bit was FUUUUUUUUUUUUNNY and I have special needs people in my life daily. There's a difference in humor and making fun of.

I mean look at poor Marlee Matlin... She's teased on that show constantly and she laughs it off and even did a skit with them on TV.

[YT]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/40oOpL_T-4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/40oOpL_T-4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YT]​

Last edited:
I thought the bit was FUUUUUUUUUUUUNNY and I have special needs people in my life daily. There's a difference in humor and making fun of.

I mean look at poor Marlee Matlin... She's teased on that show constantly and she laughs it off and even did a skit with them on TV.

Marlee Matlin is a very good sport...but then again she never actually hears how people make fun of her...she just reads it.

A-well-a, bird, bird, bird, the bird is the word
A-well-a, bird, bird, bird, well, the bird is the word
A-well-a, bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

A-well-a, bird, bird, bird, the bird is the word
A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Famguysurfingbird.gif

:hilarious:

Papa-ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Oom-oom-oom-oom-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow, papa-oom-oom-oom
Oom-ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-a-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow, ooma-mow-mow
Papa-oom-oom-oom-oom-ooma-mow-mow
Oom-oom-oom-oom-ooma-mow-mow

family guy thread win

I guess this would have never happened if someone hadn't stolen my surfin' bird record!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmpapa oom mow mow papa oom mow mow

I think that Palin is overreacting. and it bothers her only sometimes.
Remember when she was pissed because this guy Emanuel used the word retards, but later when Rush Limbaugh said it she was like its okay because he was only jesting.
WTF.