Scott7's Pixel Palace Theater

Scott7

Home Theater Fanatic
Premium Supporter
Jul 2, 2012
Maryland
We bought our house and about 6 months later, I started working on turning the basement into a dedicated home theater. With the help and dedication of a very good friend, we built a home theater complete with a media/projection room, as well as a small lobby.

Here are some pics of the theater. Please let me know what you think!

14141123705_742b97580a_c.jpg

14141124085_ab5f4f5fc3_c.jpg

13954477620_0cab9ec462_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the compliments! I had a great time building it and get a lot of use out of it, too.

I'll try to post a few more pics later.

Sweet setup!

Where's the equipment list????

I'll get to that a little later, too. :D

Thanks!

Here is a quick rundown of equipment:

Sources
DISH VIP622 HD DVR
Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray Player
Apple TV (3rd Generation)

Preamp/Processor
Marantz AV8801

Amplification
Bryston 4B SST (Mains)
Bryston 9B SST (7.1 Surrounds, Center)
Emotiva UPA-200 (9.1 Wide Surrounds)
Parasound HCA-1500A (Subwoofer)

Speakers
VMPS RM30s (Mains, Center)
VMPS Larger Sub
NXG NX-PRO6330 (Surrounds)

I'm a big fan of VMPS speakers. The ribbon design leads to a very smooth, detailed sound, and the potentiometers on the back allow for infinitesimal adjustments to tune them to the room and to the tastes of the listener. Sadly, the company's owner passed away a few years ago, and the company folded in the wake of his death. Good guy, too; I had spoken to him personally on several occasions.

Video
JVC DLA RS-2 Projector

Screen
Da-Lite High Power (110" diagonal)

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the media/projection room. The PJ is mounted on the ceiling, in front of the equipment rack, and fires through a porthole into the theater. We used special medical optical glass in front of the PJ lens to seal off the theater from noise while eliminating visual degradation. This glass is funny; you can be staring at it from a foot away and not know it's there, it's so clear (except when I let dust build up :emb: )

The PJ is in the immediate path of the ventilation system, and is set up so that it takes in cool air and vents its heat directly towards the return.

15749058742_75d131b7ef_c.jpg

Last edited:
That really is an amazing room! The colour and lighting are excellent, looks like the perfect atmosphere for watching movies. Very cool that you have curtains by the screen as well! :movie:

Reactions: Scott7