Sealed Fake Games ?!

Thoth

Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jul 28, 2019
United Kingdom
Hey! I've gotten lately into collecting sealed video games and it's been about a year now since I started buying them.
Coming across a lot of different sealed variants I tried to stick to only video games that had the cellophane with the PS seal strip logo on as I thought that would be something re-sellers won't be copying or have the means to copy.
But recently I came across some videos in YouTube that show that re-sellers can copy and re-seal using the seal strip as well not just throw on a cellophane.
So is this the end of collecting sealed video games? It makes me so much more hesitant to spend 200 on a sealed PS1 game knowing that there might be a chance the game has been re-sealed and the contents inside were used..

Here's two YouTube videos going in detail of the sealed fakes.

This one for Nintendo.
And this one for a PS3 Game. Video is in German but even though I can't understand a thing I believe it's a comparison between a sealed fake RDR Game and an original copy. Maybe @hatredhorror con confirm :)

What are your thoughts on this matter?
It's so sad that video game industry gets hit by all these scammers and scalpers lately..

yeah, its not only fake sealed in the ps3 video.. the cover is reprinted.. they didnt even bother to print the inside art (outside art without german rating logo), but left it blank, the case isnt original, etc. etc.

i never collected sealed standard editions, so it doesnt affect me, but if i did, id be hella cautious/paranoid from now on lol

• Wow
Reactions: Thoth
@Thoth This sort of thing has been going on for years, unfortunately, my brother in law was into collecting all sorts of gaming-related stuff and sealed games was one of his big things, he got caught out on a few bits that he had bought and it turned him off it overnight.

I've even seen collectors end up with no contents inside the sealed game as most of these arseholes hole do this know that 99% of the time you are going to keep it sealed.

It really is a shame that it goes on but unfortunately it does.

yes, i bought a sealed Metal Gear Solid 1 few years ago. problem is, not even i know if it's legit. MGS1 has many versions... German / Austria / German-speaking Switzerland with and without stickers. I think I have to take some pics and ask on a sealed game forum to be 100% sure.

fake copies are getting better and better, so it's hard to tell.
back in the day tear strips and Y-fold cellophane seals were 100% real sealed games, but not anymore. that's why I'm not active in the sealed games scene.

Reactions: hatredhorror
i started collecting sealed games end of the PS2 era.
my goal is to buy sealed games of my favorite PS1/2 and Dreamcast games, but it will be a hard and long road.

Anything we buy nowadays is either through our local retro gaming shop or sellers I've got from before on ebay, I won't touch anywhere else when it comes to this sort of stuff regardless of how good the prices are.

I always thought the sealed games that have the seal strip with the PS logo on would be legit but seeing how this gets copied as well it really puts me off collecting or just buying from legit sources upon release.
Would hate to know there's a FIFA or NBA disc inside my Resident Evil sealed collection. Thing is I will probably never know as I don't plan to open them :-/

I've seen a YouTube video of someone buying a sealed game from a retro shop in USA and the shop was doing reseals as well so makes you wonder where is it safe to buy from.

Reactions: Robles
Not to mention the fake Nintendo cartridges and GBA carts. Was thinking to replenish my GBA collection but everything seems to be fake on eBay nowadays.

It's tough to find sealed games these days, especially with all the scammers and scalpers out there.
I've got a sealed ps2 Metal Gear Solid snake eater toys r us exclusive edition. :thumbs: and a rare crysis 2 nano edition steelbook still sealed