SEGA working on new 2D Sonic game

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
SEGA has revealed that it is working on an all-new 2D Sonic the Hedgehog console outing for release in 2010.

Details are sketchy at present, though it has been confirmed the game will be presented in HD, indicating the title will be released for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The game is currently going under the moniker of ‘Project Needlemouse.’

SEGA of America’s Ken Ballough has said that the title "is that critical first step that brings Sonic back to his 2D roots.”

He also touched on Sonic’s ever expanding cast, noting while established folk such as Tails, Knuckles, Shadow and Blaze have had sufficient time to grow into interesting characters, there’s still a few new faces left that he would like to see more developed:

"Tails and Knuckles, to me, are essential to Sonic," he continued. “They bring the perfect blend of personalities to the mix.”

"But those two have had over 14 years to grow. I think Shadow, Silver, Blaze, and Rouge have also been developed really well into interesting characters. I would love to see Tikal developed because I think she could be very interesting as well."

"I think the one character that has yet to find his place is Bark the Polar Bear. I hope he does eventually - it'd be nice to have a cool bear character," he concluded.

Stay tuned for more information on Project Needlemouse as it breaks.