Status
Not open for further replies.

Antman

Steelbook Avenger
Premium Supporter
Feb 26, 2011
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi All,

Looking for some input from some more experienced members/eBayers.

I've just sold an item on eBay and the prospective buyer has paid with something called an eCheque through Paypal.

I'd never heard of that previously and I'm a bit wary as to whether to proceed. There is a fee which means I won't get the full value that I should have and the buyer has NO feedback on eBay.

In short, I want to cancel the sale, but does anyone know how I do that and if I need to provide a justification - as I didn't exclude those with no feedback (forgot) or exclude eCheque as payment method I fear eBay will not allow me to do that.

Thanks

Antman:D

Hi All,

Looking for some input from some more experienced members/eBayers.

I've just sold an item on eBay and the prospective buyer has paid with something called an eCheque through Paypal.

I'd never heard of that previously and I'm a bit wary as to whether to proceed. There is a fee which means I won't get the full value that I should have and the buyer has NO feedback on eBay.

In short, I want to cancel the sale, but does anyone know how I do that and if I need to provide a justification - as I didn't exclude those with no feedback (forgot) or exclude eCheque as payment method I fear eBay will not allow me to do that.

Thanks

Antman:D

Well, there is a fee regardless of how the buyer pays. So not only will you be paying the listing fee to e-bay, the final value fee to e-bay, you also have to pay a fee to paypal to accept a payment.

I've only had a couple payments come through as e-check payments - which meant in my case that I had to wait until the check "cleared" before I would ship the item. It wasn't an instant payment. However, I don't think the fees would be any less because of that - but not completely sure on that one.

In the US (I'm not sure if this is the same in the UK), but you would have to first refund the buyers payment. 2nd, you then have to create a seller's case to get your final value fee back - which means that the buyer will then have to agree to "cancel" this transaction. If they don't agree, then you are out the final value fee no matter what. You'll lose that money from e-bay.

If the buyer is in the same country as you, I wouldn't be too wary about no feedback, but I would certainly send the item via a trackable / confirmed delivery method, if you decide to go that route.

Reactions: Antman
Hi Antman- this type of payment means that the money is withdrawn from their bank account, as opposed to their Paypal account funds balance or a credit card. It usually takes a few days to clear, because the bank has to verify that funds are available for payment.

See here for more info on this type of Paypal payment-

https://www.paypal.com/helpscr?cmd=...lutionTab&ps=solutionPanels&solutionId=163307

There is not really a need to cancel the transaction as you will not be expected to ship the item until you see "cleared" in the status (and Ebay and Paypal don't recommend tht you ship before). Many people use this method, as they prefer to pay with their bank accounts so you will likely come across it again.

Unless you set your account on Ebay to exclude people from buying or bidding (search for 'manage bidders' in Ebay "help") you'll get buyers with a variety of different feedbacks and are usually expected to complete your transaction.

If you want to cancel the transaction, you have to state a reason, as you entered into an agreement with the buyer, when you listed, and he/she purchased the item.

If you request to cancel a transaction (you can do so from your Ebay history), you will need to state a reason and the buyer has to approve your request (they get an e-mail). If they refuse you will not get your final value fees back, and you may be assigned a negative mark on your account from Ebay, for failing to complete a transaction for a reason that is not really acceptable (they'll evaluate, and it's up to the buyer to accept your cancellation).

Also, when accepting Paypal, you will always be assessed a fee (for using the service). You can look at those "fees" in your account.

Hope this helps!
DB

Thanks to you both - really helpful insight and advice as ever :)

I'll sit tight and see if the eCheque clears and go from there....

I really love this site, so many genuinely nice people who are happy to help :drool:

Hey Antman-no problem!:)

Glad you are enjoying the site-feel free to ask questions anytime!

DB

Antman if you do decied to cancel the seller would leave you negitive feedback.

Thanks Karl. Contacted buyer and I don't think he realised it took so long to clear either - he just thanked me for letting him know. So far, so good and fingers crossed all goes to plan :)

I had a guy pay via echeque recently for a steelbook. Took a long time to clear, just got to let them know when it clears and you'll post out soon as possible.
I was reluctant the first time I received payment via echeque, but it's just as good (or bad, depending on your point of view...lol) as a regular paypal payment.
They will always screw you over for fees.

I have had the same problem selling on ebay. You can try to contact the buyer and ask that if he or she would be willing to cancel the transaction. Explain to the buyer your concern. Buyers will usually, for the most part understand. If the buyer accepts your reasoning, you can go to ebay customer support. Type in cancel transaction in the search bar. Then it will ask you if you are the buyer or seller. Then follow the steps from there. Eventually, it will ask you for a reason for which you want to cancel a transaction. Choose the one that best describes your issue. Then the buyer will be sent a message and would be able to accept the cancellation. Hope this helps. And I hope I am not way too late.

hi there and thanks for the post - we resolved this one a while back, but still appreciate hearing someone else's experiences on eBay :)

Status
Not open for further replies.