Writer/Editor/Mod
Premium Supporter
Aug 23, 2010
Gotham
4.60 star(s) Rating: 4.60/5 5 Votes
Title: Shazam!

Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Science Fiction

Director: David F. Sandberg

Cast: Zachary Levi, Asher Angel, Mark Strong, Djimon Hounsou, Jack Dylan Grazer, Grace Fulton, Faithe Herman, Ian Chen, Jovan Armand, Cooper Andrews, Marta Milans, Adam Brody, Michelle Borth, Meagan Good, Ross Butler, D.J. Cotrona, Ava Preston, David J. MacNeil, Carson MacCormac, Caroline Palmer, Lotta Losten, Andi Osho, Ethan Pugiotto, David Kohlsmith, Natalia Safran, Lou Lou Safran, Manuel Rodriguez-Saenz, Ali Badshah, Simon Northwood, Lovina Yavari, Jim Pagiamtzis, Emily Nixon, Raul Torres, Jhaleil Swaby, Jackson Reid, Bryce Arden Poe, Tosh Robertson, Pearl Ho, Cassandra Ebner, Angelica Lisk-Hann, Jesse Bond

Release: 2019-04-05

Plot: We all have a superhero inside us, it just takes a bit of magic to bring it out. In Billy Batson's case, by shouting out one word--SHAZAM!--this streetwise 14-year-old foster kid can turn into the adult superhero Shazam, courtesy of an ancient wizard.Still a kid at heart--inside a ripped, godlike body--Shazam revels in this adult version of himself by doing what any teen would do with superpowers: have fun with them! Can he fly? Does he have X-ray vision? Can he shoot lightning out of his hands? Can he skip his social studies test? Shazam sets out to test the limits of his abilities with the joyful recklessness of a child. But he'll need to master these powers quickly in order to fight the deadly forces of evil controlled by Doctor Thaddeus Sivana.

Reactions: IRON MAN and Poitvd
Just watched Shazam! earlier on in the day and I’m still grinning from ear to ear as it is one of if not the most funniest and heartfelt Superhero Movie I’ve ever had the pleasure to watch. Not a dull moment and felt like all the jokes were genuine that landed perfectly which weren’t forced down your throat wether they were implied or cleverly done. The star of the film is Zachary Levi as he was born for this role and you could just tell he had such a blast being a kid at heart playing Shazam! If you’ve watched all the promo material and trailers some of the best bits you will recognise but this isn’t such a big deal as they are very rewatchable with these scenes now being extended in length with a lot more laughs to be had, let the good times roll :joy: If I had to rate Shazam! it’s easily a mid 9 as it’s a perfect blend of what makes a great traditional Superhero movie that can be enjoyed by young or old but also has so much more to offer aswell to give its own distinct style and tone of film plus there is one or two suprises in there for the Shazam! fans out there :)

Loving this new direction that WB are taking with Director Driven DC Films so each film can have its own distinct style and tone. First with Aquaman, now Shazam! and then with the two Hard R DC Films to follow suit with Joker then Birds of Prey. So much DC goodness to look forward to in the upcoming years and couldn’t be happier being a lifelong DC Fan and Harley Quinn Fan since ‘92 :joy::drool:

Saw it tonight. LOVED IT.
Its not perfect but its a ton of fun and I can't wait to see it again.

I'm a little worried how its going to do at the Box office though... I know there were some preview screenings last Saturday but tonight was the official opening night. I was at the first IMAX showing and it was only half full. Normally for Marvel/DC movies, its packed.

I went to see it today, I really liked it. I'd give it 7.5/10. I thought it was too long and they could've got rid of 15mins from the first half of the film. I definitely want to see a sequel.

In the cinema I went to there were so many families. I haven't seen that many families at the cinema in ages and quite a few were 5 or 6 and I'm not sure it was suitable for them really.

In the cinema I went to there were so many families. I haven't seen that many families at the cinema in ages and quite a few were 5 or 6 and I'm not sure it was suitable for them really.

Yeah it gets pretty dark at some points. Which you wouldn't expect from the previews.
That boardroom scene for example was not family friendly at all. haha

That is one dynamic of the film that I struggled with was the shifting tone. But I also really appreciated how much they didn't reveal in the trailers that I was kind of ok with it cause I didn't know what was coming.

Shazam!

F9F0EFC8-5316-43EB-A875-FEE7230B07BF.jpeg

Whoops wrong suit :bag::rofl::hilarious:

Saw it last night and really didn't like it, found it extremely repetitive and thus boring. I also think the critics are overcompensating now when it comes to the D.C. films after their overly harsh treatment of BVS a few years ago, never in a million years are Shazam or Aquaman better films than BVS (or Suicide Squad for that matter) (n)

• Thanks
Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
How Shazam! Fits Into the DC Extended Universe Timeline

Contains spoilers, don't read if you haven't seen the movie yet.

After nearly 80 years of comic book adventures, the World’s Mightiest Mortal has finally made his big-screen debut in Shazam!

Zachary Levi stars as the titular superhero in the DC Extended Universe’s latest installment, an upbeat origin story that subverts the DCEU’s recent tendency toward gloom and doom. In Shazam!, now in theaters, we learn that 14-year-old foster kid Billy Batson (Asher Angel) was given the ability to transform into an adult superhero (Levi) by an ancient wizard (Djimon Hounsou) who deemed Billy worthy of inheriting his powers. All he has to do to change into his full-grown alter ego is say the wizard’s name — you guessed it — Shazam.

Although Shazam! is ultimately a standalone movie, there are more than enough Easter eggs and callbacks to make fans plenty aware that it takes place in the same universe as previous DCEU offerings like Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Aquaman. In fact, Henry Cavill’s Superman was reportedly slated to make a cameo appearance in Shazam! before scheduling conflicts got in the way.

But where exactly does Shazam! fall on the DCEU timeline? The answer comes thanks to a DC superhero shrine Billy’s foster brother, Freddy Freeman (Jack Dylan Grazer), has set up in their room. Included in the shrine is a Man of Steel-inspired issue of TIME as well as a copy of the fictional Metropolis newspaper The Daily Planet with the headline “Superman Is Back”—letting the audience know that Shazam! takes place after the events of Justice League.

There’s also a post-credits scene in which Freddy reminds Shazam just how impressive the ability to telepathically communicate with fish can be to let audiences know that Aquaman (Jason Momoa) has already made his solo mark on the world

So while Shazam! doesn’t set up any direct connections between Billy and the other DC heroes, since it takes place in the present-day DCEU, there’s no reason why future movies couldn’t. Not to mention that Levi himself has said that he would love to join the Justice League.

“If I ever could be part of Justice League, I will lose my collective s—t,” he recently told the Toronto Sun. “I would be so stoked for that.”

via Time

• Thanks
Reactions: willbar84
How Shazam! Fits Into the DC Extended Universe Timeline

Contains spoilers, don't read if you haven't seen the movie yet.

After nearly 80 years of comic book adventures, the World’s Mightiest Mortal has finally made his big-screen debut in Shazam!

Zachary Levi stars as the titular superhero in the DC Extended Universe’s latest installment, an upbeat origin story that subverts the DCEU’s recent tendency toward gloom and doom. In Shazam!, now in theaters, we learn that 14-year-old foster kid Billy Batson (Asher Angel) was given the ability to transform into an adult superhero (Levi) by an ancient wizard (Djimon Hounsou) who deemed Billy worthy of inheriting his powers. All he has to do to change into his full-grown alter ego is say the wizard’s name — you guessed it — Shazam.

Although Shazam! is ultimately a standalone movie, there are more than enough Easter eggs and callbacks to make fans plenty aware that it takes place in the same universe as previous DCEU offerings like Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Aquaman. In fact, Henry Cavill’s Superman was reportedly slated to make a cameo appearance in Shazam! before scheduling conflicts got in the way.

But where exactly does Shazam! fall on the DCEU timeline? The answer comes thanks to a DC superhero shrine Billy’s foster brother, Freddy Freeman (Jack Dylan Grazer), has set up in their room. Included in the shrine is a Man of Steel-inspired issue of TIME as well as a copy of the fictional Metropolis newspaper The Daily Planet with the headline “Superman Is Back”—letting the audience know that Shazam! takes place after the events of Justice League.

There’s also a post-credits scene in which Freddy reminds Shazam just how impressive the ability to telepathically communicate with fish can be to let audiences know that Aquaman (Jason Momoa) has already made his solo mark on the world

So while Shazam! doesn’t set up any direct connections between Billy and the other DC heroes, since it takes place in the present-day DCEU, there’s no reason why future movies couldn’t. Not to mention that Levi himself has said that he would love to join the Justice League.

“If I ever could be part of Justice League, I will lose my collective s—t,” he recently told the Toronto Sun. “I would be so stoked for that.”

via Time

In a way Shazam! is a love letter to the DCEU (including DC Comics & Previous DC Films) and thoroughly enjoyed finding all the nods, references and Easter Eggs hidden in the film as there is plenty to be found. I’m sure I missed a few so I’m very keen to give it a rewatch in the very near future.

Also loved seeing The Conjuring Annabelle Doll at the start of the film (which can also be seen in Aquaman), The Comedian’s Button, Big (Movie) Reference and Rocky Reference.

Edit - Nearly forgot about The Mist Monster’s Tentacle that nearly grabs Eugene in the second or third door

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: IRON MAN
Oh man, this was tons of fun! I'm a little disappointed all the funniest moments were in the trailers, but it was still entertaining as hell. :D

WB Studio Showcase has now replaced Aquaman - The Exhibition at Warner Bros. Movie World which uses an old dormant Show Stage this gives it an incredible advantage with space to show off set pieces and costume designs. Inside the spoiler I was able to capture some awesome behind the scenes photos before the crowds arrived, enjoy.

6616C47A-3B18-4626-9C9E-48446ED01DC1.jpeg

1F4EF820-2187-4414-9EFC-1C7FFFCACE4E.jpeg

114B5CE4-6E51-41E2-84E3-7F93223FC4D5.jpeg

0A27FBD8-78C7-41DE-B666-126858C07DFD.jpeg

BC405475-1E29-4224-821E-F1B8907659CD.jpeg

Reactions: Drum18