Mondo SON OF GODZILLA Linocut Poster. Art by Attack Peter

mllNY

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Aug 29, 2011
New York, NY
This week's pair of posters is an unexpected sci-fi collision between a half-century-old kaiju classic and a new apocalyptic thriller. First, linocut mastermind Attack Peter continues his tireless exploration of the original Godzilla canon with 1967's SON OF GODZILLA.

“I’ve had a strange relationship with this film. I’m fairly certain that SON OF GODZILLA was one of the handful of Godzilla films I watched on loop as a kid, the others being KING KONG VS GODZILLA, EBIRAH: HORROR OF THE DEEP, and GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN. I remember loving the tropical island and jungle vibe so much! Back then, I thought Minya was a lovable dork and I didn’t have any issues with him being in the mix. As I got older, I started to cringe whenever I saw him pop up in films, and his voice began to irritate me as well. I think it was a combination of me being in my "too cool for Minya" phase and also thinking that his presence would keep new fans from getting into Big G’s filmography.

Recently though, I began to rewatch all of the Showa, Heisei, Millenium and Legendary films again. It suddenly occurred to me that the hatred had gone too far on Minya. He’s an important part of Godzilla’s story and allows us to see a side of him that we don’t get to see elsewhere: He’s a hero and a father. In addition to that, I realized how many fans would constantly trash the ‘67 Godzilla suit! I don’t know if it’s the contrarian in me or my deep love of the X-Plus 30cm 1967 Godzilla figure — which I feel is one of the best Godzilla toys ever made — but I LOVE THAT SUIT.

When the time came to pick my next design for the fine folks at Mondo, and seeing how many great artists interpreted so many popular Godzilla films, I knew it may fall on me to give SON OF GODZILLA the love it deserves! I spent my time trying to stay loyal to the odd and uncomfortable designs of the suits while giving them a touch of stylization, emphasize the lush jungle environment, and pay tribute to the nasty kaiju insects that inhabit it! I really hope you all love it!”
- Attack Peter

3.png
SON OF GODZILLA Linocut Poster. Art by Attack Peter. 1-color Linocut Print on Handmade Lokta Paper. Printed, Signed and Numbered by the Artist. 20”x30”. Edition of 120. Expected to ship in April 2021. Ships worldwide, except China and Japan. $100.