UK
3.50 star(s) Rating: 3.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Sonic the Hedgehog (2020)

Tagline: A Whole New Speed of Hero

Genre: Animation, Action, Adventure

Director: Jeff Fowler

Cast: Ben Schwartz, James Marsden and Jim Carrey,

Release: 2020-02-14

Plot: Based on the global blockbuster videogame franchise from Sega, SONIC THE HEDGEHOG tells the story of the world's speediest hedgehog as he embraces his new home on Earth. In this live-action adventure comedy, Sonic and his new best friend Tom (James Marsden) team up to defend the planet from the evil genius Dr. Robotnik (Jim Carrey) and his plans for world domination.

Those were my exact thoughts too... they've only got 2 months until release, unless they obviously delay it. Plus they'd have to redo all the promo stuff (trailers, posters, etc).

It's commendable that they've taken the feedback, it just seems late in the day to be fixing the CGI character of your film. My mate said it just looks like a dude in a Sonic onesie and it's all I see now. I don't actually know how culturally relevant Sonic is to the people who are likely to see it now. It's a kids film but how many kids would actually even know he's a games character. So I'd just have left it.

It's commendable that they've taken the feedback, it just seems late in the day to be fixing the CGI character of your film. My mate said it just looks like a dude in a Sonic onesie and it's all I see now. I don't actually know how culturally relevant Sonic is to the people who are likely to see it now. It's a kids film but how many kids would actually even know he's a games character. So I'd just have left it.
I personally don’t see what the issue is with their portrayal of sonic, I think it fits pretty well.

I also think that the fan made version looks to animated for a live action film and just wouldn’t work, hence the reason they went for the man in a onesie look hahaha.

I’d assume most children of a certain age would very quickly identify him as a gaming character, he is only one of the most iconic gaming characters around.

I really hope they just leave it be and just let the haters , Hate.
We do seem to be suffering “scraping the barrel syndrome in Hollywood these days

I wouldn’t say that, this will be enjoyed by many and is a welcomed film in my opinion.

Oh yeah, definitely very commendable... especially since they're the first ever (as far as I'm aware) to actually change a characters look due to fan backlash, and this late on too! As much as I welcome a redesign, I agree with you... kids are no doubt the target audience here, and obviously they don't have a voice when it comes to such things, whereas manbabies crying on social media do... so I do think the studio probably should've just stuck to their guns and kept focus on who is likely to actually go see this film AND enjoy it (kids with no previous experience/memories of Sonic). I don't expect it'll make a ton of cash at the cinema either, so I can honestly see them losing money if they're having to spend more to completely redo the character.

• Thanks
  • Haha
Reactions: Robles and vexred
@vexred Haha and yeah... all I can see is someone in a onesie now too. :rofl:

R881452_1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: vexred
Oh yeah, definitely very commendable... especially since they're the first ever (as far as I'm aware) to actually change a characters look due to fan backlash, and this late on too! As much as I welcome a redesign, I agree with you... kids are no doubt the target audience here, and obviously they don't have a voice when it comes to such things, whereas manbabies crying on social media do... so I do think the studio probably should've just stuck to their guns and kept focus on who is likely to actually go see this film AND enjoy it (kids with no previous experience/memories of Sonic). I don't expect it'll make a ton of cash at the cinema either, so I can honestly see them losing money if they're having to spend more to completely redo the character.
Mate your words exactly, I personally don't see the issue with the CGI version of sonic and I know most do, but and a big but, try and make a Sonic that looks like the game version to fit into a live action film ..... it just ain't going to work, no matter how hard you try. I get peoples complaints but **** this will be a good film, either way, and i welcome the different sonic look 100% ive worked in cgi for the best part of 20 years now and it looks great to me.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Mate your words exactly, I personally don't see the issue with the CGI version of sonic and I know most do, but and a big but, try and make a Sonic that looks like the game version to fit into a live action film ..... it just ain't going to work, no matter how hard you try. I get peoples complaints but **** this will be a good film, either way, and i welcome the different sonic look 100% ive worked in cgi for the best part of 20 years now and it looks great to me.
Yeah, so long as it's an entertaining film, then so what?! The same happened with Bay's TMNT... that got ripped apart because of how the turtles looked, but the films were loads of fun IMO, which is all I care about. :)

To be honest I'm now more interested in what your job is though lol... CGI for movies? :wow:

Haha yeah a few, mostly freelance over the time but the last few years have been at light magic .The last film I worked on outside of them was the last knight .Also done a small piece on Pikachu as it was set in the same area as the last knight.

Last edited:
Haha yeah a few, mostly freelance over the time but the last few years have been at light magic .The last film I worked on outside of them was the last knight .Also done a small piece on Pikachu as it was set in the same area as the last knight.
Wow!! You managed to keep that quiet lol. That's awesome dude! I'm sure a lot of folks here (including myself) would envy you. :notworthy:

Is Last Knight the one with Morgan Freeman and Clive Owen? I picked up the steel for that because it was dirt cheap... still need to actually check it out though.

HAHA, Mate it's actually quite boring at times:rofl::rofl:and, to be honest, I've never really looked at it as anything special :whistle:it's just a job to me now:rolleyes:

The last Knight as in Optimus and Bumblebee:rofl::rofl::thumbs: We do quite a lot around the location of were parts of it were filmed, Hence the reason we did some on the Pickachu movie, parts of that were filmed in the same location.

But I can assure you it isn't as glam as it sounds:rofl::rofl::oohyeah:

• Thanks
HAHA, Mate it's actually quite boring at times:rofl::rofl:and, to be honest, I've never really looked at it as anything special :whistle:it's just a job to me now:rolleyes:

The last Knight as in Optimus and Bumblebee:rofl::rofl::thumbs: We do quite a lot around the location of were parts of it were filmed, Hence the reason we did some on the Pickachu movie, parts of that were filmed in the same location.

Did you do a location in Northumberland? One of the scenes was shot on a beach a stone's throw from where my family have a holiday home. It spread around the village that Mark Wahlberg left a couple of grand in the collection at the local Catholic church.

Did you do a location in Northumberland? One of the scenes was shot on a beach a stone's throw from where my family have a holiday home. It spread around the village that Mark Wahlberg left a couple of grand in the collection at the local Catholic church.
No mate, we didn't, You're on about Alnwick & Bamburgh castles. Our location was around London, St Bartholomew Church, Downing St, Trafalgar Square and other locations around central London:thumbs:

No mate, we didn't, You're on about Alnwick & Bamburgh castles. Our location was around London, St Bartholomew Church, Downing St, Trafalgar Square and other locations around central London:thumbs:

Bamburgh Castle. My Dad was buzzing for a couple of days having Hollywood A-listers on his doorstep. He got a letter through his door warning him that there was going to be loud bangs and nothing to be worried about lol. That's really cool, must've been pretty fun.

• Haha
Reactions: Robles

Well, I think it's super cool and exciting! :D

Ohhh Transformers. I'd forgotten what the last film was called... in fact, it's the only one I'm yet to see.

Didn't even know parts of Pikachu were filmed in the UK, but that's cool! Does the job come with any perks at all, like movie swag or maybe even an autograph or two?

Well, I think it's super cool and exciting! :D

Ohhh Transformers. I'd forgotten what the last film was called... in fact, it's the only one I'm yet to see.

Didn't even know parts of Pikachu were filmed in the UK, but that's cool! Does the job come with any perks at all, like movie swag or maybe even an autograph or two?

Really depends on who its for, with this we got tons of merch from Hasbro, I mean they gave out so much stuff probably the most stuff I've ever seen given to the teams. signature wise not that much to be honest unless you ask for it hahaha.

• Thanks
Really depends on who its for, with this we got tons of merch from Hasbro, I mean they gave out so much stuff probably the most stuff I've ever seen given to the teams. signature wise not that much to be honest unless you ask for it hahaha.
Awesome! Who doesn't love a bit of Hasbro?! :D

Well, if you're ever able to get a sig from Ryan Gosling, then hit me up. ;) :p

• Haha
Reactions: Robles